What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ahman Green.

According to the criminal complaint, a neighbor called police when Green's daughter showed up at her house saying she had been abused. The girl told sheriff's deputies her father wanted her to do the dishes to earn allowance money, but she did not want to do the work. She said Green physically pulled her into the kitchen, ripping her shirt, and punched her in the face.

When interviewed by deputies, Green admitted pulling his daughter into the kitchen and hitting her in the face with an open hand.

http://fox11online.com/news/local/green-bay/ex-packer-green-arrested

I've thought about my childhood compared to my son's, it's like night and day. I still remember as a kid the day I was acting up at Piggly Wiggly lol. My mom gave me one warning. I smarted off again, she stopped the cart, so I started to book it but she got a hold of my arm. I ran around in a circle while she was whipping my ass along the way. Nobody even blinked lol. Needless to say, I was humiliated, it worked though. You do that now, God help ya.

I've thought about my childhood compared to my son's, it's like night and day. I still remember as a kid the day I was acting up at Piggly Wiggly lol. My mom gave me one warning. I smarted off again, she stopped the cart, so I started to book it but she got a hold of my arm. I ran around in a circle while she was whipping my ass along the way. Nobody even blinked lol. Needless to say, I was humiliated, it worked though. You do that now, God help ya.
Don't pull **** at the Piggly Wiggly, lesson learned.

Just different times man but it did teach me some things. It's like a family joke now lol. Never be able to live that one down. The Ahman situation, let it be a lesson to the young parents here or soon to be. You can't do that kind of bull**** anymore.

As a kid I always knew that getting a good spanking was a potential outcome if I got out of line, helped keep me in line.

Looking back on it now though I realize a couple of things. One is that while I got spanked it was pretty rare, often enough for me to know it could happen but it usually didn't. The other is that when my dad did it he made sure that he was under control and it was "measured" not a violent emotional response.

I remember once when he was really mad at my brother. Instead of giving him a beating he went down to his tool room and spent about 2 hours making a paddle. By the time he was done (and man that paddle looked scary) he was back in complete control of his emotions. My brother got a few whacks with the paddle but at well under the force that they would have been earlier.

This Green case sounds entirely different. Sounds like someone who is a large physically developed former professional athlete responding in a purely emotional manner. Potentially very dangerous for the girl.

As a kid I always knew that getting a good spanking was a potential outcome if I got out of line, helped keep me in line.

Looking back on it now though I realize a couple of things. One is that while I got spanked it was pretty rare, often enough for me to know it could happen but it usually didn't. The other is that when my dad did it he made sure that he was under control and it was "measured" not a violent emotional response.

I remember once when he was really mad at my brother. Instead of giving him a beating he went down to his tool room and spent about 2 hours making a paddle. By the time he was done (and man that paddle looked scary) he was back in complete control of his emotions. My brother got a few whacks with the paddle but at well under the force that they would have been earlier.

This Green case sounds entirely different. Sounds like someone who is a large physically developed former professional athlete responding in a purely emotional manner. Potentially very dangerous for the girl.
Very well could be exactly that. Kids now grow up in a different world than we did. Hell, my dad beat my ass with a belt many a time. It was hard to sit sometimes. Thing is, it made me think about discipline with my son over the years and I have spanked him but I could count them on one hand. No excuses for Ahman, that's going too far. I'd be willing to bet this isn't the first time it's happened.

Corporal punishment doesn't work on children (near 100% consensus among researchers that study the topic). Conscious discipline is harder but the better approach.

My wife and I irritate each other all the time, but we don't settle our disputes by beating one another. I don't know why anyone would think it's acceptable to hit a kid who is still developing.

Corporal punishment doesn't work on children (near 100% consensus among researchers that study the topic). Conscious discipline is harder but the better approach.

My wife and I irritate each other all the time, but we don't settle our disputes by beating one another. I don't know why anyone would think it's acceptable to hit a kid who is still developing.
It can work in limited circumstances. For instance, a quick slap on the butt to gain attention when there's a safety issue (like a tantrum in a busy parking lot). But the circumstances are very limited and I don't even know if that's punishment, per se.

The main problem with corporal punishment is that it teaches the wrong lesson. Something is wrong because someone in authority will kick your ass if you do it. There's no moral reasoning developed from that. At least not a moral compass that fits with a free society.

Dude, you're missing out.

idk, luke clearly got beaten as a child and look how well he turned out

I was paddled as a kid by my father. They stopped cold turkey when I was 10 in 1979. Not sure if they had a change of heart or I was getting too old/could now be reasoned with or what the story was - I never asked.

I have never laid a hand on my girls. Ever. I really can't even imagine it. I learned very early on that I could raise my voice and get undivided attention with nothing else and drive them to tears (which in some cases was appropriate). I don't do that any more - ironically, my girls are 13 & 10 - as it isn't necessary to get and hold their attention to get a point across to drive behavior change.

Exactly, Highlander. Raising my voice is all I need to do. My son can be a brat just like all of them, but when I give him a choice that will lead to loss of privileges, he knows there is zero chance I'll reverse my decision later.

Just starting this journey but I can see a case for spanking. I was spanked with some regularity but it wasn't done out of anger, more as the final option when I was unresponsive to the other attempts at discipline. I also think that we may have lost Sight of something important in society. That you have a right to say what you want but there is a chance that you'll get your ass kicked by someone. Part of me thinks that's healthy in a self-policing sort of way.

Having said that I haven't hit my son in anger or to get his attention and I don't plan to. My wife and I are reading up on disciplinary models now. But it's early in the game here.

And yeah. **** Nuhbraska

idk, luke clearly got beaten as a child and look how well he turned out
Ouch lol. My dad didn't beat me but definitely got his point across. With my son, I don't have to say a word, just look at him and he gets that he better stop what he's doing lol. I probably spanked him 2 or 3 times ever and could tell quickly it wasn't gonna work with him.

Last edited:
I don't spank but I do on rare occasions give a swat to the butt to get attention when the focus isn't there on the problem we are trying to resolve.

My older daughter never needs this. I can make her feel bad about her behavior with a few harsh words. My younger daughter very rarely but on a few times she has not engaged or responded to dangerous situations and has had a little wake up call.

My son on the other hand has needed it a few more times. I can take away privileges, give him time-outs, etc. and it doesn't phase him a bit. Quick swat on the backside and the following time-out has his full concentration, and resulting change in behavior.

My step father beat the tar out of me, including once trying to throw me out of a second story window and once jumping on top of me on the couch and trying to choke me unconscious. Everything he did was out of intimidation. I don't have kids, but I was the primary father figure for my much younger brother after that guy left, and he got busted for smoking weed once, and I recommended that my mom let him stay on his lacrosse team, in part because no lacrosse= more idle time to smoke weed. She HATED his hair, which was very much a SoCal surfer shag, so I suggested he have to shave his head as part of his punishment. He was embarrassed as hell and there were never any other problems.

Point is- there are many pressure points you can find without reverting to violence, if you know your kids.

Back