What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Air Force September 14

Can their secondary run? I haven't seen them really. Might be some big plays to be had with the speed of our receiver group.
Secondary has good but not elite speed. They usually defend well by being in the right position and anticipating the play.

If we give Montez time and he makes accurate throws we could see some big plays. Our receivers have a speed advantage, they also aren't used to dealing with guys with the explosiveness and elusiveness we have.

On the flea flicker against kNU KD showed his speed but what doesn't get credited is the move he made at full speed to cause the DB to whiff on the tackle at midfield. It looked simple but not a lot of guys make that move at that speed without losing their balance or momentum.

Damnit, the triple option offense is such an equalizer, everyone in college football should go back to that offense.

Air Force has beaten one team they probably shouldn’t have in the last 4 years (even though they were 8-4 regular season that year) and it was Boise State which is still not a P5 school. The whole puts them on your level talk with this offense is getting ridiculous, it’s not common anymore because it doesn’t work well against good athletes.

Yes, it could be a good game. If Summers and Tucker prepare them properly it should be more than a 2 score game. They are a Mountain West Conference team, if we can’t handle that well, we probably will have a tough time hitting a bowl.

Calm down. The triple option doesn't put kids in the pros anymore, especially at QB. That's why the big boys don't run it, and that's why you only see it at schools that aren't getting the top talent anyway. Hell, even Mac ditched the option in the early 90s because he knew that while he used the option to climb the mountain, staying with the triple option wouldn't keep us there.

Which speaks to your second statement - there are variants to the triple option that are still run in offenses all over the country to this day. As I said before, the pure triple option doesn't out kids in the pros and as such doesn't let those teams recruit top talent. I guarantee you, if Alabama or Clemson ran the wishbone with the talent they have today, it would work just fine. Triple option teams like the service academies generally take the field with a large talent deficit against P5 schools. THAT'S why they struggle. However, it doesn't mean that they couldn't bite us in the ass if we sleepwalk through the first quarter, which I'm pretty sure that's the only argument anyone here is making.

We all agree that if the team is prepared properly and plays disciplined, focused football, we should win. Since that's the case, why are you so grumpy?

Tight ends can/should be the biggest mismatch on the field against an undersized defensive unit, both in the running and passing game.
I needed to look at their LBs. I know their DL wasn't undersized. They are not small, but not tall. safeties are def small. We should feast outside and down the seams.
1568341555691.png

Calm down. The triple option doesn't put kids in the pros anymore, especially at QB. That's why the big boys don't run it, and that's why you only see it at schools that aren't getting the top talent anyway. Hell, even Mac ditched the option in the early 90s because he knew that while he used the option to climb the mountain, staying with the triple option wouldn't keep us there.

Which speaks to your second statement - there are variants to the triple option that are still run in offenses all over the country to this day. As I said before, the pure triple option doesn't out kids in the pros and as such doesn't let those teams recruit top talent. I guarantee you, if Alabama or Clemson ran the wishbone with the talent they have today, it would work just fine. Triple option teams like the service academies generally take the field with a large talent deficit against P5 schools. THAT'S why they struggle. However, it doesn't mean that they couldn't bite us in the ass if we sleepwalk through the first quarter, which I'm pretty sure that's the only argument anyone here is making.

We all agree that if the team is prepared properly and plays disciplined, focused football, we should win. Since that's the case, why are you so grumpy?
Teams didn’t move away from the option because it didn’t put kids into the pros. They moved away because a better, more prolific offensive scheme was coming through the coaching ranks and with players becoming much more athletic, it was much easier for coaches to stop the option. And sure Clemson and Alabama might be “fine” running the wishbone. But I would be willing to bet a lot of money they wouldn’t win any national championships running that offense. So what exactly is your point? It’s not as effective as the spread and pro offenses we see today.

If CU sleptwalk through the first quarter of any game they would be in trouble, we aren’t Alabama. I’m grumpy because half the posters think that just because they run the triple option, if CU doesn’t play assignment football then it’s game over. If CU didn’t play assignment football and sleptwalk through CSU, they would have lost that game. Yet no one was freaking out about CSU.

I think AF wears down just like the nub and rams did. They don't hit like CU does in pradtice, it's the physicality that CU is practicing with that seperates them. When coach said best conditioned team, most phsyical team, can't have one with out the other. This is the first year the O line will learn how to impose their will on other teams since GB. The nubs are experienced, big and maybe the best unit of the team, and CU imposed there will on them. they are young and improving each game, Kap is showing why coaching matters. Even the best jimmies and joes need them

Teams didn’t move away from the option because it didn’t put kids into the pros. They moved away because a better, more prolific offensive scheme was coming through the coaching ranks and with players becoming much more athletic, it was much easier for coaches to stop the option. And sure Clemson and Alabama might be “fine” running the wishbone. But I would be willing to bet a lot of money they wouldn’t win any national championships running that offense. So what exactly is your point? It’s not as effective as the spread and pro offenses we see today.

If CU sleptwalk through the first quarter of any game they would be in trouble, we aren’t Alabama. I’m grumpy because half the posters think that just because they run the triple option, if CU doesn’t play assignment football then it’s game over. If CU didn’t play assignment football and sleptwalk through CSU, they would have lost that game. Yet no one was freaking out about CSU.
All good points except for the last one.

After CSU there was an entire thread dedicated to firing Tyson Summers. After ONE game! There was plenty of people freaking out

I think AF wears down just like the nub and rams did. They don't hit like CU does in pradtice, it's the physicality that CU is practicing with that seperates them. When coach said best conditioned team, most phsyical team, can't have one with out the other. This is the first year the O line will learn how to impose their will on other teams since GB. The nubs are experienced, big and maybe the best unit of the team, and CU imposed there will on them. they are young and improving each game, Kap is showing why coaching matters. Even the best jimmies and joes need them
I was going to argue against this idea cause I figure they have to be in great shape to compete against better talent and they're at altitude and it's a service academy. Then I remembered that zoomies are lazy stupid ****s, so now agree.

I needed to look at their LBs. I know their DL wasn't undersized. They are not small, but not tall. safeties are def small. We should feast outside and down the seams.
View attachment 31474

you will have a slight size advantage BUT that information you have posted above is 7 years old (ex. Steelhammer who is listed as a Fr. backup graduated 2 years ago and is/was with Philadelphia practice squad this fall). As a reference our defensive backs right now are 6'2"/ 195# 6'1"190# 6'3"/215 6'1"/190# 5"10"/180#

eady
Yeah I agree about respecting them, and if FHCMM were still in charge I think it would be a loss. I know HCMT is aware of what AFA does well and will keep us disciplined enough to stop them. Should be a fun day for our offense!

GO BUFFS!

Did you guys catch in one of his interviews he is having the scout team cut block the defense? They will be ready.

you will have a slight size advantage BUT that information you have posted above is 7 years old (ex. Steelhammer who is listed as a Fr. backup graduated 2 years ago and is/was with Philadelphia practice squad this fall). As a reference our defensive backs right now are 6'2"/ 195# 6'1"190# 6'3"/215 6'1"/190# 5"10"/180#
Google fail!

SOMEBODY NOT TROOFUL: Pro scouting website lists AFA DBs as: 5'8"/185; 5'9"/165; 6'1"/187 and 6'0"/186 !

Where does Colonel Lite get off listing AFA as pro-sized defensive backfield? Maybe he's mistook ATLANTA Falcons for AFA falcons???

Back