What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alamo Bowl Official Thread - COLORADO V OKIE STATE - DEC 29

Levitt got his a$$ handed to him by Washington. Enough with this cr@p!!

You need to go back and watch that game. The D was outstanding and most likely kept Browning from the Heisman voting. You can't blame the D when the offense throws two straight picks after halftime at their own end.

Players make plays and we did not make any plays. Our guys were obviously not ready to go. (Except Lindsay). Having said that, we are still not very good in a lot of key places (QB, Oline, Dline, kicking game). We are also average in terms of receivers and linebackers. Again, we reached our Peter Principle and that is all any of us could have asked. On to 2017.

The other part of this that hasn't been talked about, and it worried me before the game, was the fact that Big 12 football is better than people give them credit for. In fact, I'm absolutely not convinced that team for team the Big 12 isn't better than the PAC 12. I think it would be an interesting discussion and certainly tonight's game was evidence.

Not to go into it beyond this one post I'm making right now, but if you read Allbuffs a lot you will see a pretty consistent overrating of the PAC 12.

Just got back into my hotel room after the game. Given what I saw, I am disappointed that I came here and spent money to attend this game. I am disappointed these players took this opportunity for granted. I am disappointed in the offensive playcalling. I am disappointed that this magic season ended with a 79-18 thud.

It appears the loss of Leavitt hurt more then we had hoped. We did not get pressure on the QB, and our DB's looked very pedestrian. We need a proven DC

I think it is hard to lose any major coordinator before a bowl game. One coordinator down...everyone has to pick up the slack studying, game planning and putting it together in practice. Also a big demotivator to the guys. That said most of us know, and the rest of us will probably now admit (love him or hate him), that Leavitt was the ingredient that took us from a bowl team to a top ten team.

We let Rudolph sit back and carve us up, and there is the blowout. With an elite game plan and execution there is no reason we wouldn't have pressured him all night. The opportunities were there. Rudolph falls apart under pressure...and there would have been your different game (at least on defense). Instead our plan was extremely vanilla. Our execution of vanilla was not good. The pressure we dialed up lacked any creativity or strategy. I think Leavitt won a lot of our games, before the kickoffs. We just need to find that right guy again.

On the other hand okie lite really understood our offense, they had a well thought plan and they put the work in so that they could execute it against us...and execute they did.

I don't buy the talk that we weren't as good as we thought, or that the PAC was weak. We played and beat some good teams this year. We just hit our goal and then regressed a little. Teams like Okie State put in the work and are a lot sharper now than they were a month ago.

Curious about your LB comment. Lose our leading tackler there, gamboa is too slow. Which gillam is going to show up?

Gillam to me is looking good this year. Falo to me looks good. We need Lewis to step up this spring and summer.

I didn't read the earlier comments, which usually put things in perspective for me. The team embarrassed themselves tonight. We were outplayed and out-talented and I'm left wondering if we didn't lose the wrong coach. The current recruiting class encourages me, but I'm nervous this year was more of an aberration versus than the norm. Regardless, I don't think anyone expected the success we had this year. Looking forward to actually competing in the future.

I want to know wtf happened to the offensive play calling from the first half of the season to the 2nd. It's baffling how electric we looked early on with big plays then how terrible we looked during the last quarter of the season. Insisting on qb runs with a limited hurt qb was about the dumbest thing I've seen. But the fact that every 3rd down we went right back to the well on it? So dumb. I do not understand the thought process there. We ran the same crap most drives. Read option run, quick slant/swing pass, 3rd and long predictable throw. 3rd and less than 10, qb run. We must have called that play 5 separate occasions in that scenario.

Honestly my 9 year was calling the plays we ran on offense. Sad ****, mix it up! Tecmo offense doesn't work against good teams.

I want to know wtf happened to the offensive play calling from the first half of the season to the 2nd. It's baffling how electric we looked early on with big plays then how terrible we looked during the last quarter of the season. Insisting on qb runs with a limited hurt qb was about the dumbest thing I've seen. But the fact that every 3rd down we went right back to the well on it? So dumb. I do not understand the thought process there. We ran the same crap most drives. Read option run, quick slant/swing pass, 3rd and long predictable throw. 3rd and less than 10, qb run. We must have called that play 5 separate occasions in that scenario.

I'll tell you what happened. Our qb lost the ability to throw an accurate pass. The plays were the same but sefo missed to many throws after his return. This offense absolutely requires an accurate passer. We didn't have one in Sefo. Good kid, just a terrible passer

Good post game by Gary Barnett. Think we can get him on the staff?

GB could always manage his staff, one of his strengths.

Wonder if M2 would consider letting GB do an independant evaluation of the staff and make some confidential recommendations.

It's tough to be accurate when the OL is letting 3-5 guys run free at you. We also had several drops, no pace, & predictable playcalling. No recipe for helping the QB.

I'll tell you what happened. Our qb lost the ability to throw an accurate pass. The plays were the same but sefo missed to many throws after his return. This offense absolutely requires an accurate passer. We didn't have one in Sefo. Good kid, just a terrible passer

I don't disagree . He 4-10 yds high on 60-70% of his passes today. We had a chance early in this game but poor execution and play calling doomed us

If this is the impact losing Leavitt is going to have then we are in deep trouble. I was at the game. I am still in San Antonio. Drove up from Houston. I stayed all the way to the final whistle even as CU fans cleared out begining mid 3rd quarter.

From the start of the game, CU looked flat, lacked energy and seemed listless. Some things don't come across on tv. How deflated CU looked particularly on defense was very evident on the eye inside that stadium.

Win or loss, the experience was great. Fans on Riverwalk were hyped pre game. There was passion and excitement. Unfortunately the Buffs seemed the opposite. I don't what this performance means but I know we missed Jim Leavitt's energy, enthusiasm,passion and instinct. This is the only conclusion I can reach unless of course i missed the fact that Jim was on the sidelines.

At half time i saw Darrin Cheviarini right in front of me with anger on his face trying to to spark his team hollering at them to move their asses with some zeal in to the locker room.
The team even looked lethargic running in to the locker room and Darrin saw it.

Last edited:
GB could always manage his staff, one of his strengths.

Wonder if M2 would consider letting GB do an independant evaluation of the staff and make some confidential recommendations.

GB had some real duds on his staff that he held onto, though. Makes me believe that some of what plays into it is that CU hasn't ever given a ton of resources toward the assistant coach pool here. One year contracts coupled with a lower pay scale and a higher cost of living is not a recipe for building and keeping a great staff.

Thanks for sharing. We saw that on tv too. This team needs leadership to step up on offense. Generally that's the qb. We lacked in that arena this year. Rolling around on the ground each game doesn't constitute that for me.

The great news is as good as we did this year, we can still get so much better especially under center.

Thanks for sharing. We saw that on tv too. This team needs leadership to step up on offense. Generally that's the qb. We lacked in that arena this year. Rolling around on the ground each game doesn't constitute that for me.

The great news is as good as we did this year, we can still get so much better especially under center.

I love Lindsay's leadership for the offense in 2017.

I love Lindsay's leadership for the offense in 2017.
I tend to agree. If that's the case, we need to focus more of the offense around him. Utah did a great job of it with Williams this year.

My biggest complaint with this offense is there never seemed to be a vision or consistency with what they were doing. No play Call here to setup this here. It was bland as **** and like the plays were drawn from a hat. I've never been a BL fan this was crap we saw on offense 2-3 years ago.

I tend to agree. If that's the case, we need to focus more of the offense around him. Utah did a great job of it with Williams this year.

My biggest complaint with this offense is there never seemed to be a vision or consistency with what they were doing. No play Call here to setup this here. It was bland as **** and like the plays were drawn from a hat. I've never been a BL fan this was crap we saw on offense 2-3 years ago.

Yep. I'm not sure I can explain it well, but the offense just seems to be missing a flow. The schemes are good, but it's like a lot of good pieces that don't always fit. And, beyond that, I've never felt like Lingren had "it" as a playcaller where he gets in a zone that puts the other team on its heels or figures out what the other team is doing to shut us down, adjusts his attack, and starts shredding the defense a different way than the original gameplan anticipated. Not that everyone can be Bobby Petrino with playcalling, but the gulf between where we are and what he does seems huge. Way beyond what is acceptable. And if you don't have that, I think you've at least got to have a strong identity that you stick with, refuse to abandon, and work toward imposing your will like with what programs like Utah do with their run game.

The 3 biggest things that inhibited this offense in the second half IMO (besides highly questionable play calling):
  • OL just being overmatched in nearly every game. Manning or Rodgers behind this line would have a hard time. They have no time to set up and let a route develop.
  • Sefo's accuracy is just below average for a P5 starter. That's just a fact. Misses way too many routine throws, even when given time.
  • Our receivers are all way too spindly to get out of press coverage, so routes take too long to develop, OL is a sieve and bang, down goes the QB. Look at OSU's receivers, or so many of the receivers at the legit Top 25 schools (I think of A&M especially). Those guys have big upper bodies and can beat press coverage.

The thing that bothers me is lack of wrinkles in the game plan. If the OL can't block and your WRs are fast, why not max protect more? Give yourself a chance to make a big play or let Sefo scramble I'd play breaks down? Split backfield with Lindsay and Evans, chips the de's or step into middle and smack blitzing lbs in the teeth.

Where is the man beater routes outside of the predictable quick slant? If WRs are struggling with press, stack the wideouts or bunch them to get them free releases? I saw 1 or 2 bunch pass plays but not enough. Serious lack of creativity there.

On the road. I win the "Buff fan with the least amount of time in San Antonio" award. Just missed getting taken out by a drunk driver on I-35. Asshole.

Last edited:
Starts at the LOS. In the games we lost, we were whupped in the trenches. What did we have last night, one sack? Something like that. Our QB was constantly under pressure, having to hurry throws. Theirs had time to sit back and pick us apart.

Sefo just ran another QB draw, or whatever that abomination is called, and was stuffed for another loss. It's 3:23 am. MAKE IT STOP!

So I'm late to the party, and can't track the posts already made.

But Lindgren was seen visibly confused and exasperated on national tv like he got handed a test he wasn't prepared for. So dude's got to go. Simple as that.

Our offense was simple jack till it got figured out earlier in his tenure, maybe Chiaverini gave him some new wrinkles this year I guess, but for him to look like that at THE bowl game, compared to f*cking party mullet Gundy? Go. Just go away man.

Last edited:
Well, it was a **** show. Still a really good year. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Lindgren move on at all. Chiv deserves some flack too but I think he'd do things differently so he's a keeper. Something just wasn't there in the game, it happens to teams at times. Areas we need help have been covered. Sefo had a bad game but still love the guy as a player, he's given everything he has. We didn't handle the moment period, I've been worried about that way before the game. Next step is to use the experience and learn from it. Proud of the team, not for that game, but a good year, time to grow more. Go Buffs!

Back