What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I doubt Coley comes, he turned down aTm to stay at UGA last year. Lanning is a good possibility. I agree that Saban will likely be a big help on a few key coaches. The Saban tree is huge and Tucker can use those connections.

It is a bit different working under Jimbo Fisher (who clearly runs the offense) and working for Tucker, who would give Coley freedom to run the offense.

Brian Howell on the radio this morning says that he is hearing the administration is pushing hard for Chev and Hagan to stay on. Howell expects '2 or 3' of the existing staff to remain.

I get the love for Chev, but the OC/DC position shares the BLAME for the team not playing at a high level, demoting him to WR position is like demoting Coach MikeMac to CB position and keeping them both here at CU. It will not work! A fresh start will benefit the players and coaches. I don’t mind if Coach Tucker keep some assistance (if it fits his coaching philosophy).
I think Chev will keep the same title. He just won’t hsce play calling duties. That way it’s not as big of a demotion

giphy.gif
Don't be surprised when Chev and Hagan are retained.

Two guys who have a track record as pretty good recruiters and who bleed black and gold (they want to be here). I dont see Chiv retaining the OC title but I can see him surviving as WR coach. It wouldnt surprise me if they survive. In Chiv's case it could be a good learning opportunity for him.

Two guys who have a track record as pretty good recruiters and who bleed black and gold (they want to be here). I dont see Chiv retaining the OC title but I can see him surviving as WR coach. It wouldnt surprise me if they survive. In Chiv's case it could be a good learning opportunity for him.
Hagan got one guy that was a solid recruit (Darrell Scott) and he turned out to be a bust. He brought in Phil Lindsay but he was a diamond in the rough, not Hagan being some RB recruiting legend.

Hagan got one guy that was a solid recruit (Darrell Scott) and he turned out to be a bust. He brought in Phil Lindsay but he was a diamond in the rough, not Hagan being some RB recruiting legend.

He's well loved. I think its less likely he survives than Chiv. I can see him sliding back into the front office. I doubt he leaves.

i am so excited to see who he brings in-- especially coordinators. our best offenses have always, always been super tough and physical. the idea of combining that with all the grass basketball stuff is intriguing. one thing is for damn sure-- we won't be running as many plays that start out at or behind the LOS. philosophically, good physical teams gain yards. every play. this is a vertical game, not sideline to sideline.

w00t.

now i gotta go work for awhile . sigh.

I’m fine with keeping Chev and Hagan on the staff for their continued recruiting.
They would likely need to accept a demotion.
I’d shift Chev to ST/RC. He was ST coach for awhile a TT. To give the new OC total control without conflict. Also he wouldn’t be coaching his kids position group.
Tee Martin as WR coach would be awesome for recruiting.
I’d shift Hagan to player development non-staff position if Tucker finds a better RB coach. I like Hagan more than most on this board. He recruits well and his RBs have been very good. Who’s to say that one of the younger backs won’t step up next year.

I’m fine with keeping Chev and Hagan on the staff for their continued recruiting.
I’d shift Chev to ST/RC. He was ST coach for awhile a TT. To give the new OC total control without conflict. Also he wouldn’t be coaching his kids position group.
I’d shift Hagan to player development non-staff position if Tucker finds a better RB coach. I like Hagan more than most on this board. He recruits well and his RBs have been very good. Who’s to say that one of the younger backs won’t step up next year.

The ST only coach is a non-starter.

And Hagan's RBs have been very good? Really? Aside from Lindsay, who else are you talking about? (McMillian was a finished product when he got here)

It's got to be one difficult task to evaluate an existing coaching staff. The performance results are certainly easy to evaluate, but HCMT has no idea how they interact in a meeting room, their coaching style during practice, and how much of their performance was impacted/shunted by the direction of the FHCMM.

That's why I think he'll lean towards relationships he already has in place. The question will be, how many of those coaches will leave for a CU opportunity. This is going to be fascinating to watch.

It's got to be one difficult task to evaluate an existing coaching staff. The performance results are certainly easy to evaluate, but HCMT has no idea how they interact in a meeting room, their coaching style during practice, and how much of their performance was impacted/shunted by the direction of the FHCMM.

That's why I think he'll lean towards relationships he already has in place. The question will be, how many of those coaches will leave for a CU opportunity. This is going to be fascinating to watch.
Recruiting prowess is pretty obvious ...

Who has he recruited that has been a great player for us? Especially in the last 6 years?

Recruiting prowess is pretty obvious ...
True, but even that can be impacted by an ineffective process put in place by the head coach.

If this is the primary criteria for HCMT, then I only see Chev as a possible candidate. If he's looking for other characteristics, then I can see him retaining more - that is unless he already has a list of candidates that he prefers and can obtain.

True, but even that can be impacted by an ineffective process put in place by the head coach.

If this is the primary criteria for HCMT, then I only see Chev as a possible candidate. If he's looking for other characteristics, then I can see him retaining more - that is unless he already has a list of candidates that he prefers and can obtain.

All of them had the same HC. Hagan was non-productive as a coach and a recruiter. Hell Bernardi did about as well and if you care to go recruit by recruit you will see that.

We are in the revisionist history phase where everything was the old coach's fault. The new S&C guy is going to be 10x better than the last guy, just wait for it. From a recruiting standpoint, Hagan was not top half here.

The ST only coach is a non-starter.

And Hagan's RBs have been very good? Really? Aside from Lindsay, who else are you talking about? (McMillian was a finished product when he got here)
ST only could work. Add TE to RB coach.
Yes really. Lindsay and McMillian have been very good. How can you ask who else. They have been the only RBs to play since Hagan took over the RBs. Hagan is starting to build some depth, but we won’t know how that’s going until next year. Why assume they are going to be bad?

Yes really. Lindsay and McMillian have been very good. How can you ask who else. They have been the only RBs to play since Hagan took over the RBs. Hagan is starting to build some depth, but we won’t know how that’s going until next year. Why assume they are going to be bad?
Cause Hagan hasn't played them? When a guy is good and young, he plays. See: PL & Speedy.

The fact that McMillian came in unchallenged and that a walkon got the rest of the snaps (and then Bisharat) is probably the clue to the answer that Duff will provide....

Brian Howell on the radio this morning says that he is hearing the administration is pushing hard for Chev and Hagan to stay on. Howell expects '2 or 3' of the existing staff to remain.
I hope Tuck doesn't give in to the pressure...I want ALL his guys...if that's Chev and Hagan then fine, if not, then fine.

I agree with the O Line coaching comments. Great football teams are defined by their offensive and defensive lines. It will be interesting to see how Tucker picks his staff and if the Buffs try to emulate SEC powerhouses.
If we emulate SEC powerhouses we kick the **** out of the PAC 12

Add TE to RB coach? Are you serious? We already saw what happens with that set-up!

When only two guys play most of the snaps at a position like RB over three seasons, that should tell you depth is a problem, not a strength. McMillian waltzed in and grabbed the starting job, no questions asked. That is an issue.

If Hagan did not have Buffs ties, no one would be pushing for him to be retained. No one. The ties matter as a tiebreaker, not as the primary argument.

There should be no pressure or suggestions from the AD on who to keep, in my opinion. That's something I've been critical of RG in the past for (if in fact rumors are true) and I remain suspicious that RG (with his right hand man Lance Carl) created issues in meddling in the end of MM's tenure.

If you don't believe your HC is capable, then fire him. But don't get involved with who the assistants are. That never works.

Back