What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pick week 2 compared to 11. Week 3 to week 10. Guy was miserable the second half of the season. I can’t explain it. The guys seem to like him but maybe he’s to buddy buddy with them instead of coaching them. Who knows. But if you argue he didn’t regress or at the very least not get any better you’re completely ignorant

You are not reading. No one is arguing his stats declined over the course of the season. Of course they did.

But you are assigning most/all blame on Roper and people are pointing out why that is faulty.

Have you read any of the stories from the reporters? Defenses were calling out our plays before the snap. Defenses were teeing off on him because we couldn’t block or run the ball. He made some terrible decisions, the pick 6 against cal where viska was wide open for a first and the pick against Utah where he didn’t look off the safety and threw it up to ento in double coverage insead of a single covered shenault on the other side come to mind, but saying he regressed from the year before doesn’t make sense.
Holy ****, I thought I was a Montez apologist. I guess we’ll just agree to disagree on Montez and the supreme coaching talent that is Kurt roper

You are not reading. No one is arguing his stats declined over the course of the season. Of course they did.

But you are assigning most/all blame on Roper and people are pointing out why that is faulty.
I guess I would ask what Ropers job is? Is it to recruit Bc he doesn’t do that at a high level. Is it to have his qb hand ready? I haven’t seen that. Please name me one positive other than the most overhyped instate qb of all time likes him?

I do not think you actually read that post if you think he came off as an extreme Montez apologist.

The offense was entirely too simplistic and teams caught on once they had film. You add in poor OL play and the injury to Shenault (exacerbated by an over-reliance on him) and I think most would have a hard time concluding Roper's QB coaching was the clear problem.

I guess I would ask what Ropers job is? Is it to recruit Bc he doesn’t do that at a high level. Is it to have his qb hand ready? I haven’t seen that. Please name me one positive other than the most overhyped instate qb of all time likes him?

He landed the QB in this class. Not sure why you view that as insignificant.

Again, a QB coach can only do so much when the OC is in over his head running a simplistic offense and the OL is mostly trash. You seem to be glossing over those issues to knock Roper's QB coaching. I do not get it.

Montez is hugely undisciplined and technique is terrible.

It’s hard to not assign that to Chev and Roper as they were his direct coaches from an offensive perspective. The ol sucked, Montez bad technique/penchant for throwing off back foot can be partially blamed on that but I do not believe Montez is well coached or held accountable for his decision making. His privileged arrogance in front of the camera and antics after the play especially at Cal prove this. He was an embarrassment on and off the field during the last game, I have to believe Tucker and next oc/qb coach will ride him hard to get to next level/bowl game or he will not start all the games next year.

Montez is hugely undisciplined and technique is terrible.

It’s hard to not assign that to Chev and Roper as they were his direct coaches from an offensive perspective. The ol sucked, Montez bad technique/penchant for throwing off back foot can be partially blamed on that but I do not believe Montez is well coached or held accountable for his decision making. His privileged arrogance in front of the camera and antics after the play especially at Cal prove this. He was an embarrassment on and off the field during the last game, I have to believe Tucker and next oc/qb coach will ride him hard to get to next level/bowl game or he will not start all the games next year.
Ok, so Montez has one poor game and all of sudden he has privileged arrogance throughout the year and bad technique? I don’t disagree that he began to show some of his old habits throughout the year but you’re just completely ignorant if you throw all of that on him. If you get hit in the mouth 10 times in a row as a boxer, eventually you’re going to start putting your gloves up to block the head shot. Montez was hit time and time and time again throughout the year because his ****ty O-line couldn’t block for more than a full 2 seconds. I think after 5 straight games maybe I wouldn’t trust my O-line to block and I’d start to flush out of the pocket or throw off my back foot every once in a while. Take out the Cal game and he made very smart decisions throwing the ball away when there wasn’t an open option instead of forcing it into coverage as he did in 2016/17. One game of being fed up and frustrated does not define a seasons worth of play. You clearly dislike Steven otherwise you would realize that he has consistent pressure and poor offensive scheme pulling him in the opposite direction. He’s not an all-American, but he’s a good QB, with an undesirable line and scheme the last two years.

How about bringing Mike Haywood on as RB/ST coach. He and Trucker coached together at LSU. He had a domestic violence issue that caused him to fall in the coaching ranks, so CU would need to vet him thoroughly. If he passed he could be a solid Texas recruiter with a ton of experience.

How about bringing Mike Haywood on as RB/ST coach. He and Trucker coached together at LSU. He had a domestic violence issue that caused him to fall in the coaching ranks, so CU would need to vet him thoroughly. If he passed he could be a solid Texas recruiter with a ton of experience.
Any prior DV issues are going to be a dealbreaker post Tumpkin.

Any prior DV issues are going to be a dealbreaker post Tumpkin.
How is Ambrose on staff then? He got re-hired after the Tumpkin dv issue.

If it happened somewhere else, is far enough in the past and the guy has been clean for years... I can understand that he can't be the Head Coach but I don't understand why it's an issue for him to be hired as an assistant.

Haywood's arrest was 8 years ago and charges were dismissed. Dismissed not because he wasn't guilty, but because he accepted diversion of counseling, public service, etc. But his guilt was actually trying to prevent her from leaving with their son and bumping her, which he says wasn't intended to be violent but she ended up going to the ground. Definitely wrong. Definitely not something to excuse. But I do think that it's something that someone can learn from and grow from. It's not like he took a swing at her and I don't think this was a case where there was a pattern of abuse. https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...itt-panthers-notre-dame-fighting-irish-012716

How is Ambrose on staff then? He got re-hired after the Tumpkin dv issue.

If it happened somewhere else, is far enough in the past and the guy has been clean for years... I can understand that he can't be the Head Coach but I don't understand why it's an issue for him to be hired as an assistant.

Haywood's arrest was 8 years ago and charges were dismissed. Dismissed not because he wasn't guilty, but because he accepted diversion of counseling, public service, etc. But his guilt was actually trying to prevent her from leaving with their son and bumping her, which he says wasn't intended to be violent but she ended up going to the ground. Definitely wrong. Definitely not something to excuse. But I do think that it's something that someone can learn from and grow from. It's not like he took a swing at her and I don't think this was a case where there was a pattern of abuse. https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...itt-panthers-notre-dame-fighting-irish-012716
I’m not familiar with Ambrose’s history. I searched the Google and didn’t see anything that popped up.

Although the link in the Spoiler is broken below, it was an issue and there were reports. Cal's fan site picked up on it when they were looking to hire him: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/37825

The below may be unfair since it's a report and may not be wholly factual as to what occurred. Ambrose and his wife are still together, have worked through whatever this was, and Ambrose is involved in a lot of community outreach initiatives including working against DV.

His story supports my point, I think. One incident or allegation does not have to define someone or blackball them. We've been fortunate to have Ambrose as a coach and as a member of our community.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/20/0221ambrose.html

Ambrose was confronted on Feb. 9 by his wife, Monica E. Ambrose, 33, about marital problems when Ambrose became enraged, according to the report. Monica Ambrose told police that her husband said he was going to kill her and pushed her in the face, according to the report. Ashley Ambrose then threw a glass vase at her after she struck him back in self-defense, according to the report.

When she went for a cell phone to call 911, Ashley's brother, Naim Shakir, 24, tackled her and held her down while Ashley Ambrose kicked her in the side and hit her in the face, according to the report.

Although the link in the Spoiler is broken below, it was an issue and there were reports. Cal's fan site picked up on it when they were looking to hire him: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/37825

The below may be unfair since it's a report and may not be wholly factual as to what occurred. Ambrose and his wife are still together, have worked through whatever this was, and Ambrose is involved in a lot of community outreach initiatives including working against DV.

His story supports my point, I think. One incident or allegation does not have to define someone or blackball them. We've been fortunate to have Ambrose as a coach and as a member of our community.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/20/0221ambrose.html

Ambrose was confronted on Feb. 9 by his wife, Monica E. Ambrose, 33, about marital problems when Ambrose became enraged, according to the report. Monica Ambrose told police that her husband said he was going to kill her and pushed her in the face, according to the report. Ashley Ambrose then threw a glass vase at her after she struck him back in self-defense, according to the report.

When she went for a cell phone to call 911, Ashley's brother, Naim Shakir, 24, tackled her and held her down while Ashley Ambrose kicked her in the side and hit her in the face, according to the report.
Thanks Buffnik.

My post above came from my though that CU is going to be overly cautious because of Tumpkin debacle. If there wasn’t an arrest made or a report filed, CU might be hard pressed to make an issue of it or even know about it. We all know that they could easily pass on hiring someone without giving a reason. I’d like to think that one event in a persons life doesn’t define them, especially if it’s an isolated event.

I also know that CU has a history of making knee jerk decisions based upon the optics of a situation. Hence my belief that they would shy away from someone with any history of DV. I would hope that they would take the time to look into a situation to see what the underlying facts are. We all know how quickly the pitchforks would come out if they hired someone with serious/founded DV history.

Speaking of DV and Tumpkin, the civil suit against MM, Disteff and RG was dismissed, and Tumpkin himself still hasn’t gone to trial.

Ok, so Montez has one poor game and all of sudden he has privileged arrogance throughout the year and bad technique? I don’t disagree that he began to show some of his old habits throughout the year but you’re just completely ignorant if you throw all of that on him. If you get hit in the mouth 10 times in a row as a boxer, eventually you’re going to start putting your gloves up to block the head shot. Montez was hit time and time and time again throughout the year because his ****ty O-line couldn’t block for more than a full 2 seconds. I think after 5 straight games maybe I wouldn’t trust my O-line to block and I’d start to flush out of the pocket or throw off my back foot every once in a while. Take out the Cal game and he made very smart decisions throwing the ball away when there wasn’t an open option instead of forcing it into coverage as he did in 2016/17. One game of being fed up and frustrated does not define a seasons worth of play. You clearly dislike Steven otherwise you would realize that he has consistent pressure and poor offensive scheme pulling him in the opposite direction. He’s not an all-American, but he’s a good QB, with an undesirable line and scheme the last two years.

Are you a family member? You clearly are passionate about shifting blame from Montez.

I said the OL wasn’t good and contributed to the issue and the offensive scheme was generic. All true. Fact is Montez is expected to be one of our best playmakers, a 3 year starter. He threw 8 tds over the final 7 games, zero against the best teams in conference, SC, UW, Utah and WSU. Is CU trying to win championships? Call a spade, a spade. His completion percentage was around 50% the last 3 games. He often shows poor technique (happened from CSU until the final whistle at Cal), and his pocket awareness is below average, often holding the ball too long contributing to the sacks and and breaking the pocket at bad times letting rushers get onto him sooner.

His onfield mannerism is one of a overconfident brat, not a leader. When Shenault went down, the offense needed Montez to be the guy. And he wasn’t.

This isn’t hateful speech towards him. The scoreboard doesn’t lie. Averaging 1.14 td’s per game down the stretch is exactly why we lost 7 in a row. I’m glad Montez passed on turned pro, I’m sure nfl teams were ready to pounce all over that 1.14 td average in a below average defensive conference like the PAC 12.

Are you a family member? You clearly are passionate about shifting blame from Montez.

I said the OL wasn’t good and contributed to the issue and the offensive scheme was generic. All true. Fact is Montez is expected to be one of our best playmakers, a 3 year starter. He threw 8 tds over the final 7 games, zero against the best teams in conference, SC, UW, Utah and WSU. Is CU trying to win championships? Call a spade, a spade. His completion percentage was around 50% the last 3 games. He often shows poor technique (happened from CSU until the final whistle at Cal), and his pocket awareness is below average, often holding the ball too long contributing to the sacks and and breaking the pocket at bad times letting rushers get onto him sooner.

His onfield mannerism is one of a overconfident brat, not a leader. When Shenault went down, the offense needed Montez to be the guy. And he wasn’t.

This isn’t hateful speech towards him. The scoreboard doesn’t lie. Averaging 1.14 td’s per game down the stretch is exactly why we lost 7 in a row. I’m glad Montez passed on turned pro, I’m sure nfl teams were ready to pounce all over that 1.14 td average in a below average defensive conference like the PAC 12.
Dude was getting his ass handed to him weekly, had his best weapon get injured, and played better defenses later on in the season. His numbers dipping shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It takes two to **** things up, the play calling didn't do him any favors either. Of course, that's mho. It's hard to execute given all the problems the O has. Hope MT can help start fixing some of them. Everybody needs to step it up, Montez included.

Pocket presence? He didnt have a freaking pocket to pass from on enough pass plays the 2nd half of the season, which broke his confidence in whatever sieve-like pass protection the OL could slap together. Sorry dude, Montez would've excelled had he an OL of UW's talent. Playcalling and if we could've/would've passed over the middle never helped either. You think Noyer, Lytle or Stenstrom would've been an upgrade?

Last edited:
Dude was getting his ass handed to him weekly, had his best weapon get injured, and played better defenses later on in the season. His numbers dipping shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It takes two to **** things up, the play calling didn't do him any favors either. Of course, that's mho. It's hard to execute given all the problems the O has. Hope MT can help start fixing some of them. Everybody needs to step it up, Montez included.
Someone has taken Luko's account and is writing coherent thoughts. WTF?

Yeah I don't get why we're having a huge conversation on the job status of Roper-If any big name coach (Coley as an example) comes as the OC, he'll coach the QBs too, and Roper won't be here.

She's already staying per the AD. Thank God.
Since Coach MacIntyre is going to be an assistant himself, she doesn’t have a spot to follow him. She gets to continue her good work here. “Now if we can jut keep that great TE coach! “

Back