What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Was that their transition from FCS to FBS? I can't remember the years on that.
don't think so.

2016 Head Coach for Georgia Southern; finished the season 5-7 after beginning the season 3-0.
2017 Loses to FCS - New Hampshire University. First time since 1994 that Georgia Southern lost to an opponent in a lower division. In 2015, The Georgia Southern Eagles led the nation in Rushing. As for 2017, they opened up the season being last (#130) for yards-per-play. On October 22, midway through the 2017 season, he was fired from his position as Head Coach after an 0-6 start to the season, with the college stating "the results on the field weren't where we needed them to be as we continue our growth as an FBS program."[5]

2018 was at UGA, looks like they used him to recruit when they didn't have a full staff.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/sp...h-tyson-summers-title-and-salary-revealed-uga

don't think so.

2016 Head Coach for Georgia Southern; finished the season 5-7 after beginning the season 3-0.
2017 Loses to FCS - New Hampshire University. First time since 1994 that Georgia Southern lost to an opponent in a lower division. In 2015, The Georgia Southern Eagles led the nation in Rushing. As for 2017, they opened up the season being last (#130) for yards-per-play. On October 22, midway through the 2017 season, he was fired from his position as Head Coach after an 0-6 start to the season, with the college stating "the results on the field weren't where we needed them to be as we continue our growth as an FBS program."[5]
OK. So he clearly wasn't ready to be president. Maybe he'll never be. But that doesn't mean he's not a great lieutenant.

OK. So he clearly wasn't ready to be president. Maybe he'll never be. But that doesn't mean he's not a great lieutenant.
Nothing about his DC career suggests anything but rising star. Concern as far as no history west of CSU. But if you got rid of that Georgia Southern stint, he'd be an eastern archetype of what we'd expect to be our DC hire. Especially if he can recruit.

Wasn't his son recently a good recruit that we missed out on?

Not sure it was a “missed out” situation. Listed at 5-7, played 3 defensive snaps this year as RS soph (at Clemson). Really nice/respectful kid from limited interaction.

Last edited:
He might be a good recruiter. But, I can't believe we are not going to have anyone with west tie so far. I thought Tucker wants to enhance it?

I like Summers as a DC. I think in a roundabout way, it might lead us to land a poly recruiter. Summers can help coach dbs, so we hire one more coach there. We still have one more position open on that side of the ball. OLB/DE coach probably lends itself better to a poly coach. We can then still have a db coach that has west coast or Texas connections.
Maybe being optimistic, but it makes sense to me. You also don’t get a D1 head coaching job at 35 unless you’ve got some good references.

Retained 4 members of former staff, and now looks like he has hired two under qualified Coordinaotrs, neither with any west coast ties. Yes, we have 4 hires to go, but this has gotten off to a n extremely lackluster start. And all the while, it’s takibg way too long.

We're only 50% complete

True, but the oc and summers rumor does not get ya pumped. Also, thought he would bring in a name DL coach, like a poly guy or recruiting stud. Drake and summers? I doubt anyone here thought they would be our dc and do coaches for 2019, still rumor tho

What I'm not sure people fully grasp when they're used to following the Pac-12 or the Big 12 is that what we have going on as a "norm" is light years behind the SEC on program infrastructure. They have analysts who are rehabbing once "fast track" type careers that got derailed due to a scandal or getting caught in a bad situation with a HC or struggled as a HC after getting promoted too fast. They hire those super-talented guys as analysts or position coaches to rehab their careers. Meanwhile, guys like Kent Baer, Eric Kiesau and Greg Brown get frikin' coordinator jobs in the Pac-12.

SEC Analyst >>>>> most G5 coordinators or Pac-12 position coaches

Are we stuck in positioncoach numbers until others find jobs? Say Adams struggles to find a job, I know bear with me on this. Are we waiting to"fire" those guys until February because that's when the contract year ends? Are we stuck waiting to fill Bernardi's spot until then? I think this is slowing down or process to an extent.

Did I miss something? Why assume he’s the DC and not a position coach (DB)? I know we’re trained to assume the worst as Buffs fans, but let this thing shake out... I know Wells and Maddox follow him, but so does ShaDon, so maybe not read so much into it?

Did I miss something? Why assume he’s the DC and not a position coach (DB)? I know we’re trained to assume the worst as Buffs fans, but let this thing shake out... I know Wells and Maddox follow him, but so does ShaDon, so maybe not read so much into it?
Or maybe read a little more into it? Like that Shadon isn't a recent follow and the Wells/Maddox/Recruiting assistant follows were all today?

What I'm not sure people fully grasp when they're used to following the Pac-12 or the Big 12 is that what we have going on as a "norm" is light years behind the SEC on program infrastructure. They have analysts who are rehabbing once "fast track" type careers that got derailed due to a scandal or getting caught in a bad situation with a HC or struggled as a HC after getting promoted too fast. They hire those super-talented guys as analysts or position coaches to rehab their careers. Meanwhile, guys like Kent Baer, Eric Kiesau and Greg Brown get frikin' coordinator jobs in the Pac-12.

SEC Analyst >>>>> most G5 coordinators or Pac-12 position coaches

You are overeating them a bit with that last statement. Most of the quality control guys are hoping to catch on at a P5 school, so they are equal to many Pac-12 position coaches.

Last year, many assistants didn't move until after the early signing period. I think that may become the new normal.

Back