What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
wonder if as DC or maybe just DB coach?
Thats my thought as well. Think it could be a Tumpkin situation where we freak out for no reason. There’s nothing in his career that suggests he’s ready for a P5 DC job. Tumpkin was far more qualified than him. Johnson at least has the resume and experience to be a legit OC candidate. This dude does not.

Thats my thought as well. Think it could be a Tumpkin situation where we freak out for no reason. There’s nothing in his career that suggests he’s ready for a P5 DC job. Tumpkin was far more qualified than him. Johnson at least has the resume and experience to be a legit OC candidate. This dude does not.

Johnson I think is a solid choice as OC. He's probably not a great recruiter, but that's fine, he's in charge of the offense, we don't need him to be a monster there. He's an experienced playcaller and that's what we need.

This guy as DB coach wouldn't be bad, but again, 1 year west of the Mississippi as DC at CSU (probably didn't even do much recruiting in that position). Ehh

If he's the DC choice, super EHH

Summers has pretty comparable coordinating experience and is like 15 years younger

A native of Tifton, Georgia, Summers returned home from Colorado State, where he served as the Rams’ defensive coordinator and safeties coach in 2015. Under his tutelage, the Rams defense ranked 20th in the country in passing defense, giving up just 186.3 yards per game under his watch. After dropping two overtime games early in the season, the Rams closed the regular season on a four-game win streak, with three of those victories coming on the road.
Prior to his work at CSU, he spent three seasons at UCF, where he served as defensive coordinator in 2014 for a unit that ranked among the best in the nation.
In his first full season as a defensive coordinator in 2014, Summers, 35, guided the top defense in the American Athletic Conference, and one that ranked in the top 10 among FBS schools in total defense (5th, 298.5 ypg), rushing defense (6th, 104.3 ypg), scoring defense (9th, 19.2 ppg) and red zone defense (6th, 71.4%). Summers’ defense helped UCF to a 9-4 record, a second consecutive American Athletic Conference title and a berth in the Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl. The Knights held six opponents under 100 rushing yards and nine under 200 passing yards.

sounds like he was pretty decent as a DC

Summers has pretty comparable coordinating experience and is like 15 years younger
Forgot about the UCF stint. I still feel like he’s just not all that qualified as a P5 DC, but honestly, I expect that position to mostly be a title with MT running that side of the ball.

What would you guys think of Brian Dawkins as db coach. Though I read he’s been coaching high school football. Obv knows the position better than any coach you could bring in. Would carry a lot of weight with kids and is a tremendous leader. Just thinking outside the box

What would you guys think of Brian Dawkins as db coach. Though I read he’s been coaching high school football. Obv knows the position better than any coach you could bring in. Would carry a lot of weight with kids and is a tremendous leader. Just thinking outside the box
Wasn't his son recently a good recruit that we missed out on?

Don't we need some recruiters and a few name hires? Tucker with just a bunch of coaches isn't going to turn this thing upward.

I really doubt he would put in the work to recruit. Theres a reason he's a high school coach. He could have walked into any role he wanted.

Don't we need some recruiters and a few name hires? Tucker with just a bunch of coaches isn't going to turn this thing upward.
I don't care so much about "name" hires with the fans. I do care about filling out the staff with recruiters, though. And by not spending the money that it appears RG had available in the budget, I want to see a significant expansion to the infrastructure of the athletic department and football office.

More money & staffing (and/or outsourcing) to marketing
More money & staffing (and/or outsourcing) to public relations
New positions added for S&C, Nutrition, Medical & Training, Academics, Personal Development, Recruiting Support, Video, Equipment & Analysts
Increased travel, camp & recruiting budgets

Let's use this opportunity to build an SEC level infrastructure around our football program.

Then, as the FHCMM buyout goes away and the revenue explodes from all the winning we're doing (and the Pac-12 revenue expands by it fixing its issues)... then we double our coaching salary pool and punch with the heavyweights.

Last edited:
Back