What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Totally! Going to fill out that staff with two more interns. If not these guys, will likely be jack harris and deprato. So much for MT and his comments that coaches wanted to be here. He’s hired 3 QC assistants, retained 3, and two others that were out of jobs. Not a single coach willing to leave another P5 job to come here, either as a promotion or lateral move. And each time he announces a new hires, we say well the next 5 better have recruiting chops...then it’s the next 4....3....and now we’re down to 2.
so sick of you! Get lost!

HCMT said he has a process and it is about working that process. Obviously he has worked with these assistants and knows their abilities and strengths. It is way too soon and to early to be bitching. These assistants have seen first hand what a top 5 team looks like behind the sceens. I will trust in his judgement and process until proven otherwise.

Totally! Going to fill out that staff with two more interns. If not these guys, will likely be jack harris and deprato. So much for MT and his comments that coaches wanted to be here. He’s hired 3 QC assistants, retained 3, and two others that were out of jobs. Not a single coach willing to leave another P5 job to come here, either as a promotion or lateral move. And each time he announces a new hires, we say well the next 5 better have recruiting chops...then it’s the next 4....3....and now we’re down to 2.
What would your ideal coaching staff look like? You haven't liked a single hire. So I am curious who you think should be on the staff here?

HCMT said he has a process and it is about working that process. Obviously he has worked with these assistants and knows their abilities and strengths. It is way too soon and to early to be bitching. These assistants have seen first hand what a top 5 team looks like behind the sceens. I will trust in his judgement and process until proven otherwise.
Some of these assistants were working to beat Alabama a few weeks ago, not standing around watching OSU embarrass us. I’m excited to see the change that HCMT instills with this staff.

I think the only major complaint right now is that CU needs to be stronger with recruiting Texas and California. We really need those final hires to be western footprint guys. Or at least 1 Chev type recruiter for Texas.

I like this post, but hope your TV show is cancelled.

I think the only major complaint right now is that CU needs to be stronger with recruiting Texas and California. We really need those final hires to be western footprint guys. Or at least 1 Chev type recruiter for Texas.

Which is a valid complaint. The difference is that you, Nik, do so in a mature and logical fashion so your point is well taken. I do agree with you though and would like to see that. But in the end, I’m a nobody and so I’m going to just trust the process here and hope for the best.

I may be in the minority, but I actually like this staff so far.

We hired one of college football’s top defensive coaches as HC, so naturally the offensive staff was of primary concern. So far he’s hired the most experienced OC since the Barnett years, what appears to be the best OL coach since Grimes, and kept the best recruiter from the previous staff in a position coach role. Hagan, meh. Overall I’m pleased.

On defense where we can afford to take more risks, we brought it a couple guys he worked with at Georgia (which is arguably the best recruiting machine in the country outside Alabama) so I have every confidence these guys can recruit or they wouldn’t be here. Don’t know much about Brumbaugh except that Kansas hired Drake after not landing him so maybe an upgrade there.

I understand the hand wringing because there aren’t big names on the staff, but guys like Tillman don’t really worry me. Ambrose was an intern here before being hired to his first coaching job. Tosh Lupoi was a grad assistant before getting his first coaching job at Cal and was national recruiter of the year 3 years later. This isn’t that unusual.

I’d love to see some west coast connections and recruiting chops with the remaining hires, but this already looks like the best staff we’ve had here in 20 years. Proof is in the pudding - I expect a top 25 class in 2020 no excuses, but the doom and gloom here is exhausting.

I may be in the minority, but I actually like this staff so far.

We hired one of college football’s top defensive coaches as HC, so naturally the offensive staff was of primary concern. So far he’s hired the most experienced OC since the Barnett years, what appears to be the best OL coach since Grimes, and kept the best recruiter from the previous staff in a position coach role. Hagan, meh. Overall I’m pleased.

On defense where we can afford to take more risks, we brought it a couple guys he worked with at Georgia (which is arguably the best recruiting machine in the country outside Alabama) so I have every confidence these guys can recruit or they wouldn’t be here. Don’t know much about Brumbaugh except that Kansas hired Drake after not landing him so maybe an upgrade there.

I understand the hand wringing because there aren’t big names on the staff, but guys like Tillman don’t really worry me. Ambrose was an intern here before being hired to his first coaching job. Tosh Lupoi was a grad assistant before getting his first coaching job at Cal and was national recruiter of the year 3 years later. This isn’t that unusual.

I’d love to see some west coast connections and recruiting chops with the remaining hires, but this already looks like the best staff we’ve had here in 20 years. Proof is in the pudding - I expect a top 25 class in 2020 no excuses, but the doom and gloom here is exhausting.

Maybe just avoid using "strongest staff in 20 years" as an effective pro argument.;)

Sarcasm: it's a thing, I guess?

I've been posting in this community since Hawkins was hired when I was a student at CU. We've seen a lot of questionable moves on the coaching front since then.
gonna call bs on you bc you joined in late 08 and hawkins was hired in late 05. You can go suck Scott Frost if you think its "boarder-line historical" that CU fans would be excited about a respected SEC DC becoming our HC.

Maybe just avoid using "strongest staff in 20 years" as an effective pro argument.;)
Why Duff? I get that your nature is to be salty - they didn’t hire your boy Lake and you’re going to be insufferable until they hire a poly recruiter, we all get it. But this is the best staff we’ve had here in a long time. Yeah, yeah low bar fine but with the exception of Hagan and Els, we got better across the board - I’m happy about that.

Is this a staff that’s going to challenge USC for the south title regularly? I don’t know, and neither do you - none of us do. We hired Tucker 3 weeks ago, try to enjoy it for a little while.

Why Duff? I get that your nature is to be salty - they didn’t hire your boy Lake and you’re going to be insufferable until they hire a poly recruiter, we all get it. But this is the best staff we’ve had here in a long time. Yeah, yeah low bar fine but with the exception of Hagan and Els, we got better across the board - I’m happy about that.

Is this a staff that’s going to challenge USC for the south title regularly? I don’t know, and neither do you - none of us do. We hired Tucker 3 weeks ago, try to enjoy it for a little while.

The joke was the low bar part. Carry on.

His point is that your point isnt good. Restating your point doesn't really help your side. Just makes it sound worse.
His point was that being better than the last 20 years is a low bar - I get it, but doesn’t mean this staff sucks.

I lightheartedly responded to your post and you just vomited some garbage back about me being overly salty because Lake was not hired. Good job?
You just seem to enjoy being miserable - I don’t get the impression you get much joy out of CU football. Maybe I’m wrong, merry Christmas.

The OC and oline coach is as good as we could have hoped for. We know what we get with Els/Chev who are very good at different aspects of their jobs. There is question marks with the DB/dline coach at this point with a wait and see there.

At this point the other coaches have to be coaching in bowl games or in the NFL. I think Tucker balances out this coaching staff well with the last few hires.

What would your ideal coaching staff look like? You haven't liked a single hire. So I am curious who you think should be on the staff here?
I like the MT hire, just not very enthused about most of the staff. I love Chev, fine with keeping Hagan and Els, and the OL coach seems like a very good hire. DL coach also not bad. I was hoping for home run hires for the Coordinator rolls, and I don’t think we got that, but time will tell. And frankly, I would have been happier keeping Ambrose and Shannon Brown in the secondary. I just don’t see a lot of upgrades between current staff and previous. I guess OC and OL are upgrades on paper, DL and the coaches retained are probably about even, and DC and DB seem like downgrades, again on paper.

We are down to just two spots left. Based on the rumors you have heard, how confident are you that we will shore up those issues with those last two coaches?

Building a coaching staff is an evolutionary process. It may take a couple of iterations for MT before he has an optimal staff.

Back