What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
We're really bitching about this?

Also, who do you all think is going to be a bad recruiter on this staff? I don't see anyone so far that I don't think can recruit.

These guys aren’t on the staff at GA if they don’t have recruiting acumen. Just because we don’t know about them doesn’t mean they don’t know how to. Kirby Smart wouldn’t have brought them aboard had he thought they couldn’t recruit in his system. And to say they haven’t done anything yet? Or looks like they can’t? I forget, do we play next week or is there more recruiting to do before we pass any kind of judgment on the ability of the staff that literally just got here.

The reaction to the latest hire here is largely the same as it was for all of the previous hires. People get amped up and convince themselves that we hit a "home run". Bottom line is, in my view, that if things already look dicey before we even have played a game (i.e., we don't have a quarterback recruit and we aren't hiring top notch recruiters even though this was supposed to be a point of emphasis), then that's a bad sign.

There are tons of borderline-hysterical posts here since Tucker was hired about things are going to be different for CU football because things are going to be different on the recruiting front. Then those same people are hemming and hawing about how it's OK that we don't hire guys who necessarily look like they're going to be great recruiters because... because... because...?

It seems to me that there's kind of a nostalgia-driven grinder fetish here about returning to the glory days of running the ball in an antiquated offense. That doesn't really excite me personally because good teams in football right now (at all levels) score a ****load of points, and they do so through the air. However, I guess that Tucker resonates with that kind of fan on these boards. But the bottom line is that there's a hell of a lot of goalpost moving around here already.
I don’t disagree that the hires look uninspiring, but I also don’t think they are already failures because of the unknowns. I also believe that recruiting starts with the head guy and a coach can certainly improve if he is given the tools. Unless you think every single coach under Saban, for the like 9 years of recruiting the #1 ranked class every year, was a Lights out recruiter before they got there then we just disagree there. What’s clear is that CU does not have the money while paying out MM to hire an all-star staff but I think that Tucker and co. deserve a chance before everyone says the hires are trash. I’m not overly optimistic but I’m not calling them failures yet either. As for the QB, if they don’t land one in February, yes things are looking very shake. Let’s at least wait on that till the second signing day.

I don’t disagree that the hires look uninspiring, but I also don’t think they are already failures because of the unknowns. I also believe that recruiting starts with the head guy and a coach can certainly improve if he is given the tools. Unless you think every single coach under Saban, for the like 9 years of recruiting the #1 ranked class every year, was a Lights out recruiter before they got there then we just disagree there. What’s clear is that CU does not have the money while paying out MM to hire an all-star staff but I think that Tucker and co. deserve a chance before everyone says the hires are trash. I’m not overly optimistic but I’m not calling them failures yet either. As for the QB, if they don’t land one in February, yes things are looking very shake. Let’s at least wait on that till the second signing day.

Do not need a QB this cycle!
Grad transfer and/or high level 2020 guy will do just fine
These coaches are so far superior to everybody on MM’s staff it is not funny in terms of actually being on P5 staffs before.
We are recruiting nationally now and with the right infrastructure will be successful at that.
Chill out, let it play out.
I trust MT!

Do not need a QB this cycle!
Grad transfer and/or high level 2020 guy will do just fine
These coaches are so far superior to everybody on MM’s staff it is not funny in terms of actually being on P5 staffs before.
We are recruiting nationally now and with the right infrastructure will be successful at that.
Chill out, let it play out.
I trust MT!

CU football hasn't given much to trust. Next class will be a sign, until then it's up to MT to back up the bravado.

The reaction to the latest hire here is largely the same as it was for all of the previous hires. People get amped up and convince themselves that we hit a "home run". Bottom line is, in my view, that if things already look dicey before we even have played a game (i.e., we don't have a quarterback recruit and we aren't hiring top notch recruiters even though this was supposed to be a point of emphasis), then that's a bad sign.

There are tons of borderline-hysterical posts here since Tucker was hired about things are going to be different for CU football because things are going to be different on the recruiting front. Then those same people are hemming and hawing about how it's OK that we don't hire guys who necessarily look like they're going to be great recruiters because... because... because...?

It seems to me that there's kind of a nostalgia-driven grinder fetish here about returning to the glory days of running the ball in an antiquated offense. That doesn't really excite me personally because good teams in football right now (at all levels) score a ****load of points, and they do so through the air. However, I guess that Tucker resonates with that kind of fan on these boards. But the bottom line is that there's a hell of a lot of goalpost moving around here already.
Bitch, please.

I’m awfully curious to hear just who exactly is the arbiter of what makes someone a “top knotch” recruiter. It seems to be a buzzword that people like to throw around a lot. How many X star recruits does someone have to land to make them a good recruiter? Just because HCMT hasn’t hired a staff full of Tosh Lupoi clones doesn’t mean that the program won’t have success in recruiting.

I’m awfully curious to hear just who exactly is the arbiter of what makes someone a “top knotch” recruiter. It seems to be a buzzword that people like to throw around a lot. How many X star recruits does someone have to land to make them a good recruiter? Just because HCMT hasn’t hired a staff full of Tosh Lupoi clones doesn’t mean that the program won’t have success in recruiting.
The concern is more about the connection.

i cant wait until 3-7 years from now when we get to talk (again) about how the ACs weren't good enough (again) and how recruiting (in CA and TX) is a priority for the next staff (again) lmao

Damn the wieners are out in force tonight. Ya’ll some pathetic ass, grumpy, unhappy mother ****ers. You can’t wait for the team to fail again? What kind of childish ass bull**** is that?

There has to be a track record at least. The moves may pay off, but yes, past recruiting success is a big part of overall judgement. That means landing good to great players. That is how we are going to judge recruiting overall, is it not?

The proof will be in the 2020 class.

Seems like the track record of all the new hires are clear upgrades except for this one.

DB is the one area where you just have to have faith in HCMT. I also believe Kirby Smart created a highly detailed recruiting strategy that we’re trying to replicate and it it makes sense to have guys who are already familiar with it.

There has to be a track record at least. The moves may pay off, but yes, past recruiting success is a big part of overall judgement. That means landing good to great players. That is how we are going to judge recruiting overall, is it not?

I agree that the results will speak for themselves and 2020 will be the barometer.

Some are saying that because someone lacks a track record as a great recruiter that equates to them not being able to recruit. That seems odd to me. Same with saying that someone has to come in with established connections to X program/area in order to have any future success. Should HCMT go out and hire DUI coach? Wasn’t he lauded as a great recruiter? What about Roper? Evans bolted ostensibly because he wasn’t retained, does that make Roper an excellent recruiter?

We will, yes. I won’t disagree that the judge of all this will be based off wins, losses and recruiting. I just find it a little short sighted to look at a list and say, “nope. He doesn’t have any 5 star recruits in California. **** this, we’re doomed.”

We may fail, we may not. Just unsure why some want to complain about everything. I’ve seen successful coaches fail and failure coaches succeed. 90% of your job is effort, 10% is skill. If you’re dedicated enough you can succeed wherever you are.

89% chance these are the hires

DE/OLB Coach

TE Coach
Totally! Going to fill out that staff with two more interns. If not these guys, will likely be jack harris and deprato. So much for MT and his comments that coaches wanted to be here. He’s hired 3 QC assistants, retained 3, and two others that were out of jobs. Not a single coach willing to leave another P5 job to come here, either as a promotion or lateral move. And each time he announces a new hires, we say well the next 5 better have recruiting chops...then it’s the next 4....3....and now we’re down to 2.

Totally! Going to fill out that staff with two more interns. If not these guys, will likely be jack harris and deprato. So much for MT and his comments that coaches wanted to be here. He’s hired 3 QC assistants, retained 3, and two others that were out of jobs. Not a single coach willing to leave another P5 job to come here, either as a promotion or lateral move. And each time he announces a new hires, we say well the next 5 better have recruiting chops...then it’s the next 4....3....and now we’re down to 2.
You are an idiot.

ALL of the hires are upgrades. ALL of the hires have had proven success. Our new DB coach played nine years in the league.

I thought you were banned?

lol you’re a miserable person. Go get a dog and cheer up and find a hobby. If you hate the Buffs as much as you act you probably just need to walk away and root for Alabama or something so you don’t have to complain about anything.

I've been a proponent of needing to have a Poly recruiter on staff. Unfortunately, most of them are DL coaches. There is a surprisingly small number to choose from. I posted this in Barzil, but this is a better thread and there's no reason for it to be back there. Does not inlcude Ah You (DL coach at Vandy), So'oto (DL coach at UVA) or Atuaia (RB coach at UVA) and I did not dig into other staffs across the US, but I am confident that the vast majority are out west:

Who does everyone want from this list? Who can coach our TE's or OLB's and bring that Poly recruiting wildcard?

Shaun Nua - ASU (DL)
Legi Suiaunoa - OSU (DL)
Joe Salave'a - Oregon (DL, AHC, Co-DC)
Ikaika Mailoa - UW (DL) alumni (had same role at Utah State)
Jordan Paopao - UW (TE) alumni (prior job was G.A.)
Tuiasosopo - Cal (QB/RC)
Sione Po’uha - Utah (DL) new, 1 year experience at Navy.
Arizona, WSU, UCLA, Stanford, Colorado, USC - none

Boise State - none
Fresno State - none
SDSU - none
BYU - several but....
Utah ST - Maile (AHC,TE); Ena (new DC from Utes)
Hawaii - Jacob Yoro (OLB); Ricky Logo (DL) - was at CSU 2015-2017 blah!
Nevada - Timmy Chang (TEs); Jason Kaufusi (DL) but has coached other positions, former Utah guy
New Mexico - Tuitele (OL)
UNLV - none
CSU - none
SJSU - Filimoeatu - LBs (young); Seamalu (DL) very veteran
EWU - Eti Ena (DL, AHC, Def Front coordinator) . alumni, will be moving up soon to higher classification
Weber St. - Pupuno - TE

Edit: TCU, Baylor, UT, aTm, N. Texas, Houston all void of Poly coaches

Last edited:
lol you’re a miserable person. Go get a dog and cheer up and find a hobby. If you hate the Buffs as much as you act you probably just need to walk away and root for Alabama or something so you don’t have to complain about anything.

The only problem is he is right.

Back