What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All Starting College QBs Ranked - Montez Comes In At #41

We won't have to wait too long to figure it out anymore. I stood up for him before last year saying he never had a real O line to play behind and I felt correct for the first few games last year but he reverted to bad habits when the lines wore down.

I actually think we'll see him as a leader this year because I think he took that on last year. He'll never be Sefo but neither will anybody else.

The most telling to me (admittedly I'm not an expert) is that he isn't getting any draft hype. We all keep comparing him to Josh Allen but Allen got the hype even when his team sucked.

He could come out this year and be better than Herbert and I honestly wouldn't be shocked. He could also be the 6th or 7th best QB in the Pac and I wouldn't be shocked. Here's hoping for the former.

I've never understood this whole thing. To me, "leadership" is terribly cliche. I'm curious what you all want Steve to do to show "leadership". Guy got hit and kept on coming last year, was always there to be the first to offer emcouragement to guys coming off the field, etc.

If you're saying he needs to be more vocal, then that's the disconnect. Personally, I hated vocal teammates. Didn't matter what they were saying.
It’s not that complicated. Leaders are people that others in a group follow, for better or worse. They inspire the group to more confidence, more effort and more unity. Hard to be a leader if you don’t set an example and speak up. But if you do those things, people are glad to follow.

Montez didn’t resonate as a leader because he hadn’t earned it. It wasn’t authentic. I think some things have changed for the better on work ethic and priorities, which should allow him to finally step into a leadership role. We need that to happen.

Leadership/motivation does not equal "rah rah bull****."

This can't be emphasized enough.

Leadership/motivation takes on many forms but involves communicating the right message at the right time to get the most out of the people someone is working with.

Classic examples in this area include John Elway calmly walking into the huddle 98 1/2 yards from the tying TD in the AFC Championship game and in almost a normal tone saying "We've got them right where we want them." Another was his helicopter run in the Super Bowl.

Sefo wasn't a screamer or a yeller or a rah rah guy but he was a guy who teammates respected and listened to and he was able to raise the level of performance of his team.

I guess I'm just someone who was never motivated by teammates or coaches. Not to say I didn't have motivation, but mine was internal. I tuned out the "rah rah" bull****.
The most powerful thing a leader has it his/her words. Leader language is well documented. The rah-rah stuff is a minor part. Steve Kerr is a master. Montez does not seem to have leader skills, nor was he groomed for this role.

Any word on SM’s Manning Passing Academy appearance? I’ve found little.

The most powerful thing a leader has it his/her words. Leader language is well documented. The rah-rah stuff is a minor part. Steve Kerr is a master. Montez does not seem to have leader skills, nor was he groomed for this role.
I guess what I'm saying is words and actions of others don't resonate with me. I dont understand people who don't go out and play their ass off because they weren't "properly motivated".

Like when people here, hear MT talk and sau they're ready to run through a wall for him. That feeling doesn't resonate with me.

I guess what I'm saying is words and actions of others don't resonate with me. I dont understand people who don't go out and play their ass off because they weren't "properly motivated".

Like when people here, hear MT talk and sau they're ready to run through a wall for him. That feeling doesn't resonate with me.
It’s less about playing their asses off and more about playing as a team, and the individual contributions to facilitating that outcome.

But you probably aren't the issue on the team if that makes sense. There are plenty of problem players on every team.

Also, a lot of intrinsically motivated people do a great job but they still need to be pushed to do better.

It’s less about playing their asses off and more about playing as a team, and the individual contributions to facilitating that outcome.
I don't see anything he said about not playing as a teammate. He has only said he is self motivated. Coaches motivated me, ALL fricking week not other players. That's not saying I didn't get fired up by others actions, I never saw self motivated players as a problem. I doubt there's a single hall of famer who isn't self motivated.

I don't see anything he said about not playing as a teammate. He has only said he is self motivated. Coaches motivated me, ALL fricking week not other players. That's not saying I didn't get fired up by others actions, I never saw self motivated players as a problem. I doubt there's a single hall of famer who isn't self motivated.
I was referring to his narrow view on the topic of leadership.

He could come out this year and be better than Herbert and I honestly wouldn't be shocked. He could also be the 6th or 7th best QB in the Pac and I wouldn't be shocked. Here's hoping for the former.
His natural abilities show he could excel, but if you offered me a guarantee that he will be in the range of the 6th best QB in the PAC, I would take it right now. Just behind the 3 or 4 first-tier QBs and battling in the second-tier. Means the Buffs are likely bowling. If he takes a giant step into the top 4, I think he and the Buffs will have a very special year.

I'm the same way in my career I get where you're coming from.

Last edited:
Back