What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All Starting College QBs Ranked - Montez Comes In At #41

If he doesn’t throw back to back pick 6’s against cal we still probably go to a bowl. Game. And those were on quick throws into zone coverage which can’t be very hard to diagnose.

I don't know about "probably," but that killed any chance of winning that game, all circumstances considered.

I don't know about "probably," but that killed any chance of winning that game, all circumstances considered.
I don’t know man. Cal was awful on offense and they didn’t do very well the rest of the game. The last thing you want to do against a ****ty offense if put yourself down points immediately.

I don’t know man. Cal was awful on offense and they didn’t do very well the rest of the game. The last thing you want to do against a ****ty offense if put yourself down points immediately.

But Cal had figured out to win ugly. They were comfortable in winning with ****ty offense.

The 2018 Buffs really were not set up to win ugly games. It was a tough matchup regardless, but those two pick sixes sealed the fate of a broken team.

Lot of good points, yet which qb with that line, and everything else, but steve is going to win? He took a beating and kept playing, I give props to all the skill players. I guess I should put the game on the kids shoulder and hold no one else to the same standard. The entire organization gave up last year, wow that hurt to say. Hopefully with a mature qb coach everything many have pointed out will be much improved.

Lot of good points, yet which qb with that line, and everything else, but steve is going to win? He took a beating and kept playing, I give props to all the skill players. I guess I should put the game on the kids shoulder and hold no one else to the same standard. The entire organization gave up last year, wow that hurt to say. Hopefully with a mature qb coach everything many have pointed out will be much improved.

Many people shoulder the blame. You seem to be trying really hard to absolve Montez of all blame though, which is silly.

A large part of the issue the last two years has been leadership. Montez has fallen far short there.

No absolving but you seem to think he is the problem. I disagree, I'll stand up for the starting qb of the Buffs no problem. Give me a qb who would have done better, the how and why's they'd be able to overcoming crappy coaching. Third time I've asked and no one has responded. Don't put the failure of this program on a single player that's dumb. Leadership comes from the top, not just the qb, it will be quite evident to everyone watching this fall in how coach Tucker and the team act. How many times did the camera pan over and coach MM looked beaten? Oh that would piss me off. Tell you what, I think Steven will be no lower than 3rd. in the league and lead this team bowling. If I'm wrong I will give you props and give all your posts likes in Dec. cause you post a lot. And if I'm right we can celebrate and enjoy the season.

No absolving but you seem to think he is the problem. I disagree, I'll stand up for the starting qb of the Buffs no problem. Give me a qb who would have done better, the how and why's they'd be able to overcoming crappy coaching. Third time I've asked and no one has responded. Don't put the failure of this program on a single player that's dumb. Leadership comes from the top, not just the qb, it will be quite evident to everyone watching this fall in how coach Tucker and the team act. How many times did the camera pan over and coach MM looked beaten? Oh that would piss me off. Tell you what, I think Steven will be no lower than 3rd. in the league and lead this team bowling. If I'm wrong I will give you props and give all your posts likes in Dec. cause you post a lot. And if I'm right we can celebrate and enjoy the season.
Saying you’re not absolving Montez and then going on a full post absolving Montez (y)

As for providing an example of a guy who’d do better, no one is answering because it’s a ridiculous hypothetical that can’t be answered, but you’re acting as if Montez was right there with the top QBs in the country and everything was out of his control.

Tell you what, I think Steven will be no lower than 3rd. in the league and lead this team bowling. If I'm wrong I will give you props and give all your posts likes in Dec. cause you post a lot. And if I'm right we can celebrate and enjoy the season.

No, I tell you what, I want to see a little more skin in the game here with this bet. You seem like a righty, so how's about this, you bet your left nut and Tsheck will bet he won't post for a full half day.

But Cal had figured out to win ugly. They were comfortable in winning with ****ty offense.

The 2018 Buffs really were not set up to win ugly games. It was a tough matchup regardless, but those two pick sixes sealed the fate of a broken team.
I just saw that win by Cal as less of winning ugly and more of being gifted 14 defensive points in the first two drives by a team with a new coach that clearly came out unprepared to play (and specifically a QB that came out unprepared to play).

No one is putting all of the failure on Montez. But yes, he has been part of the problem the last two seasons. And there was a noticeable leadership void once Liufau graduated, so Montez has to own some of that as the starting QB. It comes with the territory.

As for your hypothetical, I will go with Jalen Hurts (whom I do not think is a particularly good QB).

No one is putting all of the failure on Montez. But yes, he has been part of the problem the last two seasons. And there was a noticeable leadership void once Liufau graduated, so Montez has to own some of that as the starting QB. It comes with the territory.

As for your hypothetical, I will go with Jalen Hurts (whom I do not think is a particularly good QB).

I’m interested in seeing what Lincoln Riley does with Hurts. This may be the first year LR hasn’t had a dynamic passer running his offense.

I guess I should put the game on the kids shoulder and hold no one else to the same standard.

I realize you were being sarcastic yet you described the QB position. From peewee to the NFL the QB is expected to put the game on their shoulders. There is no other player on the field, maybe not even in any other team sport, that has the same standard of expectation then the QB. To relieve a QB of having higher expectations then his teammates is to relieve the team of the expectations of winning.

He was a fourth hear junior with 2.5 years of starting by the end of last season. He is not a kid. He is a seasoned college veteran with more game experience then the vast majority of QB’s in college football. He has advanced physical tools, yet his game has proven to have a low ceiling relative to those tools. That leaves skills like leadership, desire, intellect and passion to be questioned and evaluated. A QB with that much experience that has not been named a team captain has large, glaring questions to answer.

Finally, did you realize that his HC was fired last winter and most of the staff was fired along with that HC including the QB coach? That the OC was demoted and was relieved of play calling duties? If that is not being held to a higher standard then what else would it be?

I believe that Montez is a good player.

He's a QB, though. So he gets more than a normal share of the credit or blame for the team's performance. We have needed him to do more than he did the last couple seasons. We need more out of him this season.

Instead of applying fundamentals when things got ugly, Montez regressed to to old badd habits, that were none existence earlier in the year. That is not the sign of a good quarterback.

All that "2nd day draft pick" conversation that was going on midway through the season went to their heads.
I still think he has an opportunity to be that guy, but he's going to have to take a significant jump. The physical tools are obviously there. Going to be interesting to see if he's finally taken on a leadership role with a new staff and "clean slate".

This just isn't true and completely shifts any blame away from Montez, which is ridiculous.
lol in your mind maybe, I didn't say anything about him not having blame. Last year this O was a joke is the point I made. How many college qbs can carry a ****ty staff is my point. I don't think all the players on the OLine suck but they played that way, should I hammer on them. I've seen Steven go to his 3rd option when given time, I've seen him bail way to early. I just think with this staff and being a senior he's going to be a nice piece for the team.

I still think he has an opportunity to be that guy, but he's going to have to take a significant jump. The physical tools are obviously there. Going to be interesting to see if he's finally taken on a leadership role with a new staff and "clean slate".
This, so much this. Thank you, you said this far better than I did.

I remember, at least as well as I remember things anymore, how much hype there was for Steven going into last season. Things like how much better he was at reading defenses, how impressive he was in the Manning camp, etc. Then when the losing started, not unexpected against SC and UW, he just gradually lost confidence and reverted to bad habits. He can’t let failure take over his psyche.

Montez with Sefo's personality could have been a really special player.
I've never understood this whole thing. To me, "leadership" is terribly cliche. I'm curious what you all want Steve to do to show "leadership". Guy got hit and kept on coming last year, was always there to be the first to offer emcouragement to guys coming off the field, etc.

If you're saying he needs to be more vocal, then that's the disconnect. Personally, I hated vocal teammates. Didn't matter what they were saying.

All that "2nd day draft pick" conversation that was going on midway through the season went to their heads.

We just came off of Josh Allen being god awful and a top draft pick. Montez being good LY would’ve at least given him some consideration to be selected in the first three rounds. But, he sucked when it mattered the most and so did dear old CU.

I've never understood this whole thing. To me, "leadership" is terribly cliche. I'm curious what you all want Steve to do to show "leadership". Guy got hit and kept on coming last year, was always there to be the first to offer emcouragement to guys coming off the field, etc.

If you're saying he needs to be more vocal, then that's the disconnect. Personally, I hated vocal teammates. Didn't matter what they were saying.

It is not cliche when your own teammates do not vote you captain.

Back