What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

Shane Larkin declaring and is a likely first rounder. Dre's potential draft spot just got pushed down one more spot. He needs to stay.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9214549/shane-larkin-miami-hurricanes-declare-draft

I agree he should stay but this might be the worst logic I have ever heard.

And McDermott announced he's coming back yesterday. So Dre's slot next year just got bumped down a spot.

He also announced his decision to stay via a...press conference. Who knows what Dre's original intentions were today.

Sad thing about this getting drawn out is how clearly he wants to go. that is just plain obvious. If he stays the fans are all going to be ecstatic and he will be unhappy.

Sad thing about this getting drawn out is how clearly he wants to go. that is just plain obvious. If he stays the fans are all going to be ecstatic and he will be unhappy.

Only initially. If he returns, it is very likely the right decision, and he will be grateful this time next year.

Only initially. If he returns, it is very likely the right decision, and he will be grateful this time next year.

You have no factual evidence to support this, its purely speculation. I'm tired of reading posts that are selfish in nature and are only concerned with their CU Hoops fandom. This is the biggest decision of his life to date, it's good that he isn't taking it lightly and giving it the full thought it deserves. Whatever his decision is, he will be doing what he thinks is best for him. Not what's best for the CU fans, not what's best for Tad, what's best for him.

You have no factual evidence to support this, its purely speculation. I'm tired of reading posts that are selfish in nature and are only concerned with their CU Hoops fandom. This is the biggest decision of his life to date, it's good that he isn't taking it lightly and giving it the full thought it deserves. Whatever his decision is, he will be doing what he thinks is best for him. Not what's best for the CU fans, not what's best for Tad, what's best for him.

I agree with both of you, though. If he returns despite wanting to go into the draft I'd imagine he will take this off-season and next year more seriously and determined to get better than ever. By putting on some weight and developing his offensive game more I believe he can improve, and that might be the best decision for him.

That decision works well for us fans, too! :smile2:

Hence, why I said "very likely". There are no guarantees in life. We have 25 pages of no factual evidence on this subject alone, but I trust Tad Boyle on this, which is why I feel he should stay. I was in complete support of Alec Burks declaring early.

This is a message board, not an encyclopedia. Get over it. You do realize that sports fans who are posting on their favorite team's board are inherently going to be posting something "selfish" because they want their team to do well don't you? Next time, learn to think these things through before trying to become the message board morality police and ultimately just looking foolish.

I agree with all of your post, except I think Tad legitimately would encourage Dre to go if Tad thought it was in Dre's best interest. Tad is likely telling the family what many here have speculated - Dre is (maybe) a second round pick who needs a couple more years to develop into a contributor on an NBA roster. Even if Dre stays, he'll have to work as hard as Copeland did to truly make it in the pros.

I agree with all of your post, except I think Tad legitimately would encourage Dre to go if Tad thought it was in Dre's best interest. Tad is likely telling the family what many here have speculated - Dre is (maybe) a second round pick who needs a couple more years to develop into a contributor on an NBA roster. Even if Dre stays, he'll have to work as hard as Copeland did to truly make it in the pros.

My thinking is that he's going to have to work extremely hard no matter what. At this point, he may as well do it against other pros, while earning money, than against a bunch of 18-20 year-olds who will likely never be professionals.

Andre

My thinking is that he's going to have to work extremely hard no matter what. At this point, he may as well do it against other pros, while earning money, than against a bunch of 18-20 year-olds who will likely never be professionals.

Gonna have to disagree with your last point. We have Spencer, XJ, and Scott who will be NBA players and then Cal, Arizona, UCLA, UW, etc. all have NBA players on their rosters.

JG, I hear what you're saying and agree to a point. My own feeling is that he should stay. Not because I'm being a selfish fan, but because I just don't think his game is ready for it. With as good a rebounder and defender as he is, early to mid 2nd round is still likely. So if the money isn't guaranteed what's the point of leaving early? This past season his game either regressed or just plateau'd. Scouts saw that and are shying away now. He's got that shiny new practice facility in Boulder to work on his offense, mainly his jump shot. Show marked improvement next season(unlike his Jr. year) and I'll bet his chances of being taken in the 1st round and getting guaranteed money are much better.

Gonna have to disagree with your last point. We have Spencer, XJ, and Scott who will be NBA players and then Cal, Arizona, UCLA, UW, etc. all have NBA players on their rosters.

I see with your point but think that he's better off playing at a professional level. I am a huge XJ and Scott fan but I don't think they are currently NBA level or at the level most professionals are. In general most teams won't have more than a few potential professional players.

I see with your point but think that he's better off playing at a professional level. I am a huge XJ and Scott fan but I don't think they are currently NBA level or at the level most professionals are. In general most teams won't have more than a few potential professional players.

This is an example i harp on when it comes to basketball, people really dont get how good the pros are. Most of the d-league rosters are stacked with college stars, the end of an NBA bench would RUN most college players. Hell a 50 year old MJ just smoked Michael Kid-Gilchrist one on one. On better year look what Brian Scalabrine just did:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/toucher-richs-scallenge-no-challenge-for-brian-scalabrine/

I looked at the entire list of mock drafts (must be 25 different ones) and see Dre listed on one or two ... how can you declare for the draft when 95% of the boards don't have you being drafted? Seems like an enormous gamble.

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraftdata.php

it is only going to be worse for him next year. I selfishly want him to stay, I want to sit court-side and watch the most stacked team in recent CU history smoke people, I want to see him get the rebounding record, to go down in the pantheon of great CU players. But part of me feels bad for wanting that because I cant come up with a lot of good reasons for him to stay.

Re: Andre

Jg for President. Has anybody learned more about CU hoops than reading his posts?

you have no factual evidence to support this, its purely speculation. I'm tired of reading posts that are selfish in nature and are only concerned with their cu hoops fandom. This is the biggest decision of his life to date, it's good that he isn't taking it lightly and giving it the full thought it deserves. Whatever his decision is, he will be doing what he thinks is best for him. Not what's best for the cu fans, not what's best for tad, what's best for him.
ymssr

I looked at the entire list of mock drafts (must be 25 different ones) and see Dre listed on one or two ... how can you declare for the draft when 95% of the boards don't have you being drafted? Seems like an enormous gamble.

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraftdata.php

i've emailed with about 10 of the mock draft sites that he isn't listed on, every single one of their responses was the same, he's being omitted until he declares. They all have him early to mid-second round if he declares, several responded that they could see him sneaking into late first round if he impresses during workouts. Not one said that they didn't think he would be drafted.

Last edited:
i've emailed with about 10 of the mock draft sites that he isn't listed on, every single one of their responses was the same, he's being omitted until he declares. They all have him early to mid-second round if he declares, several responded that they could see him sneaking into late first round if he impresses during workouts. Not one said that they didn't think he would be drafted.
Man jg, I think we need to find you a new hobby, but I can't tell you how glad I am you're sharing all of that knowledge with us here on Allbuffs.

JG, I hear what you're saying and agree to a point. My own feeling is that he should stay. Not because I'm being a selfish fan, but because I just don't think his game is ready for it. With as good a rebounder and defender as he is, early to mid 2nd round is still likely. So if the money isn't guaranteed what's the point of leaving early? This past season his game either regressed or just plateau'd. Scouts saw that and are shying away now. He's got that shiny new practice facility in Boulder to work on his offense, mainly his jump shot. Show marked improvement next season(unlike his Jr. year) and I'll bet his chances of being taken in the 1st round and getting guaranteed money are much better.

I hear you and I don't disagree but we've been saying he needs to work on the same things the past two years. He's going to have to make a substantial improvement to be drafted in the same position next year that he will probably go this year (early to mid 2nd). The draft is honestly that weak this year and going to be that stacked next year.

Last edited:
Man jg, I think we need to find you a new hobby, but I can't tell you how glad I am you're sharing all of that knowledge with us here on Allbuffs.

I found one the other day! Horse racing, you have no idea how obsessed i've become, it may hold me over until fall.

Also, not that I haven't said it enough already, but if he goes early to mid round 2, its a near certainty that Dre would get 2 years guaranteed, with an option for a third. I have a hard time wrapping my head around those advising him to pass up 1m guaranteed over the next two years so that he can get the AD to pick up his final year of tuition.

Wow, JG, very interesting. If that's true, then he HAS to go now. And all true Buffs should wish him well.

That was pretty much my assumption on why he wasn't listed for this draft. NBA people didn't think he was coming out, so he won't be on the mocks until he declares.

Back