What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andy La Russa: 2012 Colorado Assistant Coach Candidate

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
Andy La Russa: Cornerbacks coach and Assistant Special Teams Coordinator at San Jose State University

GTZHUTAXFYWBBTG.20110723053644.jpg

Andy LaRussa joined the San Jose State football coaching staff in June 2011 as the cornerbacks coach and assistant special teams coordinator.

In his first season with the Spartans, LaRussa's cornerbacks helped the team nearly double its turnovers gained from 18 to 33. Starting cornerback Peyton Thompson signed a 2012 free agent contract with the Atlanta Falcons.

At Northern Arizona, LaRussa coached cornerbacks and safeties and all phases of the kicking game. He was an integral component of a defensive staff that produced the top-ranked team in the Big Sky Conference in scoring defense, rushing defense and quarterback sacks in 2010. Northern Arizona was ranked in the Football Subdivision's Top-25 in rushing defense (5th), quarterback sacks (10th), total defense (14th) and pass defense (22nd). His defensive backs and special teams players earned four All-Big Sky post-season honors in his two seasons.

In his eighth season as a NCAA Division I assistant football coach, LaRussa spent four seasons at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He was the defensive graduate assistant and worked with the linemen, linebackers and secondary during his tenure. He also was UNLV's assistant special teams coordinator, assistant video coordinator and assistant strength and conditioning coach.

Four of his Rebel players were named All-Mountain West Conference including 2008 conference Defensive Player of the Year in linebacker Beau Bell. Teammate Eric Wright and Bell were NFL draft choices following their senior seasons. Wright was a 2007 second round choice of the Cleveland Browns; Bell, a Browns' fourth round pick the following season.

LaRussa began his coaching career in 2003 as a player-coach for the Ostai Marines of NFL Italy. While coaching two seasons overseas, he also was the defensive line coach and special teams coordinator at St. Francis High in LaCanada, Calif.
As a player, he played his college football at Glendale (Calif.) College before transferring to Southern Utah University . LaRussa completed his playing career with Ostia of NFL Italy.

The 2002 Southern Utah University graduate majored in physical education. He is pursuing his master's degree in education through the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

LaRussa and his wife, the former Briana Bernardi, were married in 2011. Briana is employed by the San Francisco 49ers as an administrative assistant.

Maybe his time at UNLV would help our Nevada recruiting? Hope his relationship with his father-in-law stays strong.

Looks fine to me.

He's just the DB coach. The head coach (MacIntyre) has a history as a DB coach (coached DB's for the Dallas Cowboys under Bill Parcells, and coached DB's for the Jets after that). If the HC is comfortable with him coaching DB's, that's fine with me.

In his eighth season as a NCAA Division I assistant football coach, LaRussa spent four seasons at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He was the defensive graduate assistant and worked with the linemen, linebackers and secondary during his tenure. He also was UNLV's assistant special teams coordinator, assistant video coordinator and assistant strength and conditioning coach.

Four of his Rebel players were named All-Mountain West Conference including 2008 conference Defensive Player of the Year in linebacker Beau Bell. Teammate Eric Wright and Bell were NFL draft choices following their senior seasons. Wright was a 2007 second round choice of the Cleveland Browns; Bell, a Browns' fourth round pick the following season.

I kinda had to laugh at this. I'm sure those guys were drafted and all conf because of a graduate assistant. I also see he played in Italy. Maybe he can help us recruit internationally now!!!!!!!

Well between Mac having a background as a DB coach, and having both Clark and La Russa we should be able to expect some quality DB play.

Back