What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anne Kelly To Retire Following The 2023-24 Season (Women's golf)

RSSBot

News Junkie
Anne Kelly

"
BOULDER — A staple of women's golf in the state of Colorado – and women's intercollegiate athletics in general – is set to call it a career this spring.

Long-time University of Colorado head women's golf coach Anne Kelly will retire at the end of the 2023-24 season, the school announced on Monday.

Currently in her 27th season as Colorado's head coach, Kelly is just the second to hold that position full time in the 30-year history of the program, taking over for Justi Miller ahead of the 1997-98 season. Kelly is the second-longest tenured current head coach at Colorado, trailing only cross country/track & field head coach Mark Wetmore.

Kelly is the longest-tenured female head coach in Colorado Athletics history and ranks seventh overall.

"I have made a personal decision to bow out as head coach of CU women's golf at the end of this season," Kelly said. "It's a difficult choice because I absolutely cherish our team, this job, and love the University of Colorado! I feel so blessed and grateful to have served in this position for 27 years.

"It's not easy to let go, but all good things come to an end and the time is right for me to say farewell. It's a difficult, emotional decision, but I feel confident about where the program is headed. The time is right for me to hand off the program and become CU golf's biggest fan."

Kelly has led Colorado to eight NCAA Regional appearances and two NCAA Championship events; all coming in the second half of her illustrious career in Boulder (since 2009). In addition, she has coached five individuals to solo appearances at NCAA Regionals.

Nine Colorado golfers have earned All-American honors under the tutelage of Kelly while 15 have made all-conference teams spanning both the Big 12 and Pac-12.

"I'm proud of our accomplishments and growth, but primarily proud of so many of the young women who have played for Colorado and the amazing, successful and caring adults they have become," Kelly said. "That is the true success that I will always cherish."

Under Kelly, the Buffaloes have a track record of sustained excellence in the classroom. Kelly has coached 24 Women's Golf Coaches Association All-America Scholars while 84 student-athletes – an average of more than three per year – have received season academic honors at the conference level.

"I'm so thankful to all the wonderful people I've met and worked with over the years, especially Dick Tharp who hired me, Mike Bohn for assisting us with our Colorado National Golf Course partnership and Rick George for believing in me and the continued support of our team and department," Kelly said. "I've been able to be a part of an amazing group of coaches at CU and loved working alongside (men's golf coaches) Mark Simpson, Roy Edwards, Derek Tolan, longtime (women's) assistant coach Brent Franklin and current associate head coach Madeleine Sheils.

"'Why announce now?' is a question I asked myself, but when I decided that after this season the time was right to move on, I wanted to make it known, so I could put all my focus and energy into our current team and having the best season possible. I also felt it was ethically correct to let recruits know of my decision before they made their decision and signed an NLI."

Kelly was officially hired as the Buffaloes' head coach in October 1997 after a year-and-a-half stint as the head coach at UNC-Greensboro which included Big South Coach of the Year honors just prior to her arrival at Colorado. Following a six-year stint on the LPGA Tour (1984-90), Kelly was a teaching professional at Silverbell Golf Course in Tucson, Ariz., from 1991-96 before entering the collegiate coaching ranks.

A native of Aspen, Colo., Kelly had a successful collegiate golfing career at Texas Christian from 1979-83, helping the Horned Frogs to the 1983 NCAA Championship, the first for a women's program in school history. Kelly and her 1983 NCAA Championship team was inducted into the TCU Athletics Hall of Fame in September.

Kelly is set to oversee her 308th event as Colorado's head coach this week as the Buffaloes travel to the Stanford Intercollegiate, Oct. 20-22. The Colorado Athletic Department will follow institutional human resource procedures to identify and hire its next head women's golf coach.

"Coach Anne Kelly has spent nearly three decades as the face of the Colorado women's golf program. Her commitment and dedication to our student-athletes over that time has been inspiring. She has built this program from the ground up and put it in a great position to thrive for years to come. We look forward to the rest of this season with coach Kelly and the bright future ahead for Colorado women's golf." – Colorado Athletic Director Rick George

"Anne will be remembered as a coach who cared as much for her players off the golf course, as she did on. Anne's steadfast and determined commitment to helping her athletes become better golfers, interested students, and humble citizens will be a hallmark of her lengthy tenure at the university. I am so happy for her as she moves on to a well-deserved retirement!" – Ceal Barry, former Colorado women's basketball head coach and Senior Woman Administrator

"Anne Kelly was the golf coach of my dreams. She took a chance on a late-bloomer junior golfer from California, helped me thrive as a college athlete and supported me through the ups and downs in my professional career. Her door has always been open from the first day I stepped on campus - whether it was for a quick chat about tournaments, some juicy gossip, or to help me tackle some challenges, I could always count on her warmth, humor, and understanding. Annie has given her heart and soul to CU and I am eternally grateful for this. I can't imagine where I would be today if it weren't for her giving me a shot (maybe a few extra mulligans, too) all those years ago!" – Emily (Talley) Hoye, CU All-American, two-time All-Conference golfer (2008-12).
"

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to Coach Kelly!

Link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/5/womens-golf-anne-kelly-receives-wgca-kim-evans-award

"
By: Troy Andre, Associate Director/Athletic Communications
BOULDER — University of Colorado head women's golf coach Anne Kelly is the recipient of the 2023 Kim Evans Award for lifetime contributions to the sport, the Women's Golf Coaches Association announced on Tuesday.

The prestigious Kim Evans Award is presented annually to a college or high school coach, and Class A PGA Professional, whose support of the game through teaching, coaching and involvement in the community has helped ensure the continued growth of golf. Named for the former women's golf coach at Auburn (1994-2015) and WGCA Hall of Famer, Kelly accepted the Kim Evans Award during the WGCA Member Convention in Las Vegas.

"I'm very honored to receive the Kim Evans Award," Kelly said. "I've always respected Kim as a coach and PGA member and admire her dedication and commitment to the game. Golf has been a huge part of my life and I feel so fortunate to be a member of the WGCA and the PGA, two organizations that do a great job in promoting the game and women in golf."

Kelly is in her 27th and final year as Colorado's head coach; she announced in October her plans to retire from coaching at the end of the 2023-24 season. She is the longest-tenured female head coach in Colorado Athletics history and ranks seventh overall.

Two long-time women's golf coaching colleagues were instrumental in Kelly receiving the award: UNLV head coach Amy Bush-Herzer and New Mexico head coach Jill Trujillo, both citing her dedication and commitment to the sport.

"Coach Kelly has been providing opportunities for her golfers for decades and she has a history of successful student-athletes on and off the golf course," said Bush-Herzer, currently in her 14th season with the Rebels. "She is constantly promoting the game of golf and does this with the highest level of integrity. It was my honor to nominate coach Anne Kelly for this award."

Kelly has led Colorado to eight NCAA Regional appearances and two NCAA Championship events; all coming in the second half of her illustrious career in Boulder (since 2009). In addition, she has coached five individuals to solo appearances at NCAA Regionals.

Nine Colorado golfers have earned All-American honors under the tutelage of Kelly while 15 have made all-conference teams spanning both the Big 12 and Pac-12.

"When I think of coach Kelly, many things come to mind. She's the consummate professional, dedicated to her craft, and 100 percent has her team at the top of her priorities," said Trujillo, currently in her 17th season at the helm of the Lobos' program. "The respect the coaching community has for her is immense and as a lifelong PGA member, she has given her all for the sport she loves."

Kelly has coached 24 Women's Golf Coaches Association All-America Scholars while 84 student-athletes – an average of more than three per year – have received season academic honors at the conference level.

Along with the development of her own student-athletes, Kelly led the beginnings of three collegiate golf tournaments. The Buffaloes hosted the Heather Farr Memorial from 1998-2010 (at three Boulder-area courses) in honor of Farr, a long-time friend of Kelly's and former LPGA player who died of breast cancer in 1993 at the age of 28. Kelly, along with her mother, started the Mountain View Collegiate outside Tucson, Ariz., in 1999; an event which still runs strong today and is now hosted by Kansas State.

Kelly's Buffaloes began the Chevron Silverado Showdown in 2014 at the Silverado Resort in Napa, Calif., which has become one of the premier events in women's collegiate golf. The 10th edition of that event, co-hosted by Oregon, is scheduled for April 8-10, 2024. Chevron is in its second season as the title sponsor and will once again invite the medalist of this event to participate as an amateur at the LPGA's Chevron Championship, scheduled for April 17-21 at the Club at Carlton Woods in The Woodlands, Texas.

Off the golf course, Kelly has participated in visiting the Veterans Hospital during her time in the Colorado PGA Section and has participated in the University of Colorado's children's hospital visits. She has been involved in the annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day and participated in Colorado's Read with the Buffs program, a reading incentive program geared toward 2nd-4th grade students. Kelly has also served on both the WGCA Board of Directors and the NCAA Division I Women's Golf Committee.

Colorado is scheduled to continue the 2023-24 campaign by opening the spring portion of the season Feb. 12-13 with the San Diego State Classic at The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
"

Back