What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AP RANKED!

I understand they looked bad against UCLA, but come on. The Buffs ANNIHILATED the Trojans. Dropping 4 spots for a road split is stupid.
Losing by 4 at UCLA is never that bad of a loss because they're always talented enough with enough program pride to beat anyone there. You'd think that AP voters would understand that. Besides, while UCLA has lost 10 games their only real bad loss was a total head scratcher against Cal State Fullerton. The other 9 are the types of games you'd shrug at for an NIT level team (which is what UCLA is in this coaching transition/ culture re-set year).

Losing by 4 at UCLA is never that bad of a loss because they're always talented enough with enough program pride to beat anyone there. You'd think that AP voters would understand that. Besides, while UCLA has lost 10 games their only real bad loss was a total head scratcher against Cal State Fullerton. The other 9 are the types of games you'd shrug at for an NIT level team (which is what UCLA is in this coaching transition/ culture re-set year).
Also, I know the AP poll doesn't really matter, as long as you are in it. It is just dumb.

I understand they looked bad against UCLA, but come on. The Buffs ANNIHILATED the Trojans. Dropping 4 spots for a road split is stupid.
Yeah I don’t get it. You know those voters didn’t actually watch our 11pm ET loss. And final ended up only a 4 point loss while we beat USC by 19 on the road. Yet Illinois only drops 1 spit from a 1-1 week with an 8 point home win vs bad Minnesota and a road loss to Iowa? Weak. Iowa moved up 1 after a 1-1 split with their win at home and Michigan State only fell 2 with same exact split and win at home. **** it.

And I get those teams don’t matter to our ranking as we’d be behind them anyway, but just surprised by the difference is spot changes.

Also, I know the AP poll doesn't really matter, as long as you are in it. It is just dumb.

It gets you on FS1...unless the bastards at FOX double book truck racing a 12-round boxing match. Then it’s off to FS2 for a good chunk of the game, only to be sent back to the FS1 for a halftime show that is 90% about East coast games.

In conclusion - When the buffs are in the top 25, keep the remote close by.

Yeah I don’t get it. You know those voters didn’t actually watch our 11pm ET loss. And final ended up only a 4 point loss while we beat USC by 19 on the road. Yet Illinois only drops 1 spit from a 1-1 week with an 8 point home win vs bad Minnesota and a road loss to Iowa? Weak. Iowa moved up 1 after a 1-1 split with their win at home and Michigan State only fell 2 with same exact split and win at home. **** it.

And I get those teams don’t matter to our ranking as we’d be behind them anyway, but just surprised by the difference is spot changes.
The Big 10 is so ridiculously overrated. Voters still thinking the conference is great top to bottom and giving credit for beating each other. When in reality, they're all beating each other because they're all mediocre.

Fortunate to still be ranked at all.
A lot of weeks in most seasons, I’d agree on the general point that losing a game to an unranked team likely drops you out if you were in that 20-25 range.

But looking at who the voters have receiving votes in that 26-30 range, it would have been crazy not to have CU in the Top 25. I mean, if the Top 25 is so soft that former #21 Houston is still ranked after a road split with E Carolina & Cincinnati, no way should CU drop out.

Who should be ranked instead of CU & Houston? I don’t think the case is great for TTU and they’re separated by a lot from anyone else in “others receiving votes.” After that it’s really weak cases to be made.

Not sure if you are just a troll or no nothing about College Basketball?

I do see many comments where I get the feeling that Buffs fans often seem to think of College Basketball in College Football terms and it is erroneous.
I've been a season ticket holder since 1995. Next question.
(Thank god he didn't ask how many of those games I actually made it to)......

Last edited:
A lot of weeks in most seasons, I’d agree on the general point that losing a game to an unranked team likely drops you out if you were in that 20-25 range.

But looking at who the voters have receiving votes in that 26-30 range, it would have been crazy not to have CU in the Top 25. I mean, if the Top 25 is so soft that former #21 Houston is still ranked after a road split with E Carolina & Cincinnati, no way should CU drop out.

Who should be ranked instead of CU & Houston? I don’t think the case is great for TTU and they’re separated by a lot from anyone else in “others receiving votes.” After that it’s really weak cases to be made.
Look people, regardless what other teams have done, CU will not get the benefit of the doubt from voters until they beat a couple of traditional powerhouses on national TV. The two traditional power houses CU has played this year are Kansas and Arizona and CU got smeared like whipped cream cheese. Beating people like Dayton matters for net ratings and will matter for getting in the tournament, but it just doesn't matter as much as getting crushed by KY or Arizona. If CU had put out a good effort in either of those games, maybe they would have earned some respect...but they didn't and this allows AP voters to look at CU's bad losses and ask what the hell is wrong with this team instead of asking why they're so good. You all should understand this by now.

Look people, regardless what other teams have done, CU will not get the benefit of the doubt from voters until they beat a couple of traditional powerhouses on national TV. The two traditional power houses CU has played this year are Kansas and Arizona and CU got smeared like whipped cream cheese. Beating people like Dayton matters for net ratings and will matter for getting in the tournament, but it just doesn't matter as much as getting crushed by KY or Arizona. If CU had put out a good effort in either of those games, maybe they would have earned some respect...but they didn't and this allows AP voters to look at CU's bad losses and ask what the hell is wrong with this team instead of asking why they're so good. You all should understand this by now.
Both of those games were on the road. Do you not count Oregon to be a name team?

Also when did we play Kentucky?

closing the schedule with 5 of 7 on the road will be rough - I'd expect us to drop out of the top-25 at that point unless we can upset Furd or Oregon.

We are in a good net-position and are setting our selves up to make the tourney - that is the key.

This is actually a decent post and analysis and I can agree with it for the most part.

Why’d ya have to start the day with such a douchey post saying we are lucky to be ranked at all?

I agree that a win against a traditional eastern power on national tv does a ton to change perceptions with voters. True in every sport. I think where the eastern bias hurts us most is that most voters see a loss to Oregon State as a lot more troubling than a loss to Pitt despite them having equal resumes. That shakes out with the selection committee and the ranks that matter. AP's really just for fun and to promote tv broadcasts. Not relevant except to casual fans.

This is actually a decent post and analysis and I can agree with it for the most part.

Why’d ya have to start the day with such a douchey post saying we are lucky to be ranked at all?
Given the above (minus the poor Kentucky reference), its true.

What do you consider Oregon?
A very good team that isn't a traditional power, but is starting to earn enough respect to stay in the polls when they don't do well, but hasn't earned the level of national respect to the point that other teams gain a lot of prestige by beating them.

A very good team that isn't a traditional power, but is starting to earn enough respect to stay in the polls when they don't do well, but hasn't earned the level of national respect to the point that other teams gain a lot of prestige by beating them.

So what is that, like, 1.5 tiers above the buffs?

I’m sure we can go back and find charts like this for previous years to compare, but it seems at least like ranking have been wild this year.
4B51784E-0CD3-428C-A6E1-B773BEE41A6F.jpeg
Highest rank a currently unranked team achieved:
2: Ohio State
4: Michigan
5: UNC, Virginia
6: Florida
9: Memphis
11: Texas Tech
15: Utah State
16: Wichita State
17: Tennessee
18: St. Mary’s College
19: Xavier
20: Washington, VCU
22: Texas
23: Purdue
24: Rutgers

Buffs have been ranked in 10/14 weeks with peak at 20.

Back