What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are 5 wide sets a no brainer this year?

I think you will see more variation from the offense this year because you will have guys who can do multiple things well. Both Ento and Winfree are big enough that they shouldn't have any issues blocking while still being pass catching threats that can stretch a defense. This means that CU could run or pass from a 4 WR set effectively. A three WR set may not be as effective because we just don't have a pass catching TE, so if CU is in the 3 WR 1TE set the LB's can focus strictly on the run and the corners can focus strictly on the pass...which means CU had best dominate the line of scrimmage if they expect to do well out of that set. Plus the WR group has to consistently beat single coverage...and I don't mean one guy, I mean most of the guys, on most of the plays. Against the better defenses last year this didn't happen. Same things can be said for a 2WR, 2RB, 1TE or double TE sets. Thankfully, I expect CU's offensive line to be one of the top three in the PAC this year and I think the WR group will progress again. I doubt we see many 5 WR sets.

Lincoln Riley may be an Air Raid disciple but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call his offense at OU the Air Raid at this point, he passed just 41% of the time in 2016 and 45% of the time in 2015. “(Leach) probably wouldn't recognize it,” Riley said. “That's fine. I couldn't care less as long as it's winning and scoring points and able to control the game either with tempo or without.” It certainly still has Air Raid elements but Riley's offense is a different beast and he's someone I think Chev can/should take a lot of inspiration from.
Mike Leach was the OC at OU when they won the MNC in Stoops second year.

I think you will see more variation from the offense this year because you will have guys who can do multiple things well. Both Ento and Winfree are big enough that they shouldn't have any issues blocking while still being pass catching threats that can stretch a defense. This means that CU could run or pass from a 4 WR set effectively. A three WR set may not be as effective because we just don't have a pass catching TE, so if CU is in the 3 WR 1TE set the LB's can focus strictly on the run and the corners can focus strictly on the pass...which means CU had best dominate the line of scrimmage if they expect to do well out of that set. Plus the WR group has to consistently beat single coverage...and I don't mean one guy, I mean most of the guys, on most of the plays. Against the better defenses last year this didn't happen. Same things can be said for a 2WR, 2RB, 1TE or double TE sets. Thankfully, I expect CU's offensive line to be one of the top three in the PAC this year and I think the WR group will progress again. I doubt we see many 5 WR sets.

I still think a 4 WR set is the most we will see with Lindsey, but as far as WR goes, I wouldn't be surprised on seeing certain sets for stuff. I think we will be 8 deep at WR this year and the player I am wondering may get passed up is Jay. I think with some of the talent coming in, like KD, they will see the field right away. Though KD may make his mark as a returner at first. Question is, which of our freshman will be redshirted or do the ones that not necessarily make an impact at WR this year, make their impact on ST.

Lincoln Riley may be an Air Raid disciple but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call his offense at OU the Air Raid at this point, he passed just 41% of the time in 2016 and 45% of the time in 2015. “(Leach) probably wouldn't recognize it,” Riley said. “That's fine. I couldn't care less as long as it's winning and scoring points and able to control the game either with tempo or without.” It certainly still has Air Raid elements but Riley's offense is a different beast and he's someone I think Chev can/should take a lot of inspiration from.

You are correct. He certainly runs a spread but he includes a lot of sets with more conventional line splits, with a TE (granted a TE who is a receiver) and more ability to run more conventional running plays. It is certainly not Leach's offense.

Back