What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

As of Early Signing Period - 2018 Class Grade

What grade would you give the 2018 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • A-

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • B+

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • B

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • B-

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • C+

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • C-

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Maryland on Rivals:
2018: 18
2017: 17
2016: 39
2015: 54
2014: 53
2013: 33
2012: 35
2011: 43
2010: 36
2009: 26

10 year average: 35.4
So, bullocks it is. The last 2 years look like anomalies. If you want to count just the last 4 years in the Big 10, the average is 32.
Don’t know what this proves. All Maryland did is finally get some of the kids from Baltimore and DC....30 minutes from campus. Don’t see how this relates to CU.

Don’t know what this proves. All Maryland did is finally get some of the kids from Baltimore and DC....30 minutes from campus. Don’t see how this relates to CU.

It doesn’t, but apparently Maryland shouldn’t be able to recruit better than us. Even if all they did was convince kids to stay home. The talent in Maryland is better than colorado.

It doesn’t, but apparently Maryland shouldn’t be able to recruit better than us. Even if all they did was convince kids to stay home. The talent in Maryland is better than colorado.
It shows that geography isn't the be-all-end-all. Maryland typically doesn't recruit that well despite their geography. They have no tradition of being a competitive program, and have almost zero chance of being competitive in their division. Geography is about the only thing they have to sell, but even if a kid wants to stay close to home State College, Morgantown, Columbus, Blacksburg, and others are less than a days drive away. There's no excuse for CU not to recruit better most years.

It shows that geography isn't the be-all-end-all. Maryland typically doesn't recruit that well despite their geography. They have no tradition of being a competitive program, and have almost zero chance of being competitive in their division. Geography is about the only thing they have to sell, but even if a kid wants to stay close to home State College, Morgantown, Columbus, Blacksburg, and others are less than a days drive away. There's no excuse for CU not to recruit better most years.
The other side of that is that PA, OH, NJ and VA are all within a short drive away for recruiting. Makes a big difference for seeing kids, getting them to your camp, getting them to come for an unofficial, etc.

CU being in the middle of the country and Colorado being a state with a great rep definitely helps the Buffs. But we're also really far for most recruits to be paying out of pocket to visit for a camp or unofficial. Plus, the recruiting budget his one of the larger ones by necessity because our coaches have to fly everywhere. The border states with some talent (AZ, UT and OK) are not drivable from Boulder for a recruiting trip. It was really good for CU that the NCAA didn't shut down participation by coaching staffs in out-of-state camps.

The other side of that is that PA, OH, NJ and VA are all within a short drive away for recruiting. Makes a big difference for seeing kids, getting them to your camp, getting them to come for an unofficial, etc.

CU being in the middle of the country and Colorado being a state with a great rep definitely helps the Buffs. But we're also really far for most recruits to be paying out of pocket to visit for a camp or unofficial. Plus, the recruiting budget his one of the larger ones by necessity because our coaches have to fly everywhere. The border states with some talent (AZ, UT and OK) are not drivable from Boulder for a recruiting trip. It was really good for CU that the NCAA didn't shut down participation by coaching staffs in out-of-state camps.

Conversely, California players and players out West in general tend to decide later in the process, by my observations over the years at least.

Makes using official visits much more important. We do not seem to use them.

CU being in the middle of the country and Colorado being a state with a great rep definitely helps the Buffs.

What I observed when I lived in AZ and SoCal was that many families that were a bit financially constrained, basically weren't ever going to travel to see games by air. The AZ schools have parent groups that organize buses to games within a half days drive. Big contingents ride the buses from LA to Tempe, in a byob and picnic fashion. They tailgate, party after the game and then drive back overnight. My suspicion is that plenty of parents aren't paying at all. Think about how many of these kids are from welfare families. More than not. Airfare leaves a paper trail. Parent group charter buses do not.

This is used by the SoCal and AZ against us and the NW schools BIG time.

Another dirty secret is that friends, family and even recruits end up on the party buses. Nothing gets the family into ASU like a bus trip with other families from Riverside to Tempe, during the recruiting process. They call these "unofficials".

I get that, but this is just one factor. Why doesn't Illinois, Texas Tech, Ga Tech, Cincinnati or Rutgers recruit better than they do? I realize CU has less talent within driving distance than Maryland but they're a college football non-factor for most of their history. Too much focus on Maryland specifically - the larger point is that there's really no reason CU couldn't recruit regularly in the top 25 with the right staff.

I get that, but this is just one factor. Why doesn't Illinois, Texas Tech, Ga Tech, Cincinnati or Rutgers recruit better than they do? I realize CU has less talent within driving distance than Maryland but they're a college football non-factor for most of their history. Too much focus on Maryland specifically - the larger point is that there's really no reason CU couldn't recruit regularly in the top 25 with the right staff.

Point taken, Maryland coaches found a way to convince them with the right staff, gotcha. I don’t disagree CU can’t recruit better, i just don’t think it’s the 90’s anymore. We don’t have the brand recognition that these kids are subscribing too. If all we need is better coaches to recruit better I’m all in. I just don’t think it’s as simple as you’re making it sound. As for the rest of those schools they’re surrounded by larger, much more successful colleges.

Convincing a top kid in Illinois to go to OSU, Michigan or Wisconsin is easier when it’s next door and the majority of your games are in a neighboring state. That and the fact they’re top 10 schools almost yearly.

Look at Hypolite, perfect example of a kid struggling to leave his family behind. Look at Xavier Newman, he went to Baylor because family.

We can all agree we need better effort. We’ll never get over the hump if we don’t see better effort and in Colorado we have to recruit much harder than other colleges.

For one, it proves the idot who said do the research, didn't.

Maryland hired a coach with recruiting chops. That's the difference

I don’t buy that nonsense either. There is absolutely guys who are better recruiters than others, that’s common sense. But Georgia has 3 in the top 25 and almost their entire staff is in the top 150 recruiters.

What’s more likely? They’re all just REALLY good at recruiting or I dunno, they’re in Georgia and every kid in the south would go there? It’s not hard to sell Georgia to a kid from Georgia. If we brought georgia’s staff here before they got Georgia name recognition do we all actually believe they would snag a #1 class and be among the top 150 recruiters? Absolutely not.

CU has as many recruiters ( 2 - Chev, Eliot) in the top 150 as Washington, WSU and USC do. Cal, UCLA and OSU all have 1.

Maryland has 3, we have 5 in the top 300, they have only 4. But I can’t disagree that hagan, bernardi and Jeffcoat are atrocious.

Fire them yesterday, I didn’t even realize how BAD they truly were til now. Jeffcoat is almost the worst recruiter in football.

Yep. Maryland has always been one of those "sleeping giant" type programs.

CU, for other reasons that factor in for Maryland, should be recruiting in the Top 25. Like Maryland, CU has to emphasize recruiting as a staff. That should put us in the Top 35 on average regardless of that season's results on the field. To be better than that - and CU certainly can/should be - it takes winning. Make a couple bowl games in a row the next two years and if the recruiters are in place then Top 20 classes should be happening.

Lol, now you're changing your statement to be about the region? Cuz when you said "they kept people home this time" you were talking about the school.

What the **** are you talking about? “They kept people home.” Maryland has 11 recruits from Maryland, which so happen to be their highest ranked recruits. Maryland is ranked #15 in the nation in quality of recruits FROM THAT STATE. Maryland has an advantage that recruit into a state with on average better recruits than Colorado. 2017 they had NINE blue-chip recruits, we had 2.

Last edited:
You just don’t listen to common sense. Go do the research, Maryland is a top 15 spot for recruiting, they got kids to stay home this time.

Done arguing, merry Christmas!

“What a hot take. We can’t out recruit a NC school in its home state, a Mississippi school in its home state, a Texas school in its home state and a Maryland school in its home state. Maryland has 9 kids from Maryland and 2 from Washington D.C area. You would like MM to convince the 3 highest kids in their class from Maryland to move to the plains? Good luck.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

You should work on your comprehension...

I don’t think there is any reason that Maryland should out recruit us. I’ve been a supporter but that ticks me off. Beat Maryland!!

“What a hot take. We can’t out recruit a NC school in its home state, a Mississippi school in its home state, a Texas school in its home state and a Maryland school in its home state. Maryland has 9 kids from Maryland and 2 from Washington D.C area. You would like MM to convince the 3 highest kids in their class from Maryland to move to the plains? Good luck.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

Are you arguing with yourself now?

What the **** are you talking about? “They kept people home.” Maryland has 11 recruits from Maryland, which so happen to be their highest ranked recruits. Maryland is ranked #15 in the nation in quality of recruits FROM THAT STATE. Maryland has an advantage that recruit into a state with on average better recruits than Colorado. 2017 they had NINE blue-chip recruits, we had 2.
Talking about you claiming they're a top 15 team, not surprised you can't keep up with your own switching arguments though. Idot.

Talking about you claiming they're a top 15 team, not surprised you can't keep up with your own switching arguments though. Idot.

You’re so stupid, why are you even talking? I don’t think Maryland has even had a top 15 class. Not my fault you have poor comprehension skills.

If you think for a second that people shouldn't expect CU to out-recruit maryland, then RG would like you to hand in your buff card.

I've read all your posts, save us both the headache... Yes, maryland has top 15 in state talent.

If you think for a second that people shouldn't expect CU to out-recruit maryland, then RG would like you to hand in your buff card.

I've read all your posts, save us both the headache... Yes, maryland has top 15 in state talent.

I expect us to out-recruit them. But when 11 of their kids are from Maryland and the top in their class is from Maryland and they’re very highly rated? It’s just one of those years, they did a good job this year locking down the in-state talent. It is what it is, they beat a ton of schools.

Go read his post, he said they kept kids this year. You 2 are in the same league.

You can’t be this stupid? You misinterpreted my post and i corrected you and you’re still (days later) trying to tell me what I meant? They kept kids home in Maryland, 11 to be exact, in a state that is ranked #15 (HISTORICALLY) in the U.S. in talent. How hard is it for you to comprehend that? I’m just confused what it is you’re trying to prove? That you’re ignorant? Send me our address and I’ll send you a participation ribbon. (y)

Back