What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistant Coaches for HC Bill McCartney

I love coach Mac. Great guy, but I hope he brings in some better assistants than his son. No offense to Tom, he's done very well for himself at Fairview, but come on. It's not like he's dominated there. I think he's just a okay coach. Nothing special.

Valdez got it. Dorrell was WR coach here in 93 then came back as OC when the Slickster was hired.

Why?

I know nothing about McCartney Jr. other than he's been at Fairview for quite a while.

I think we as a board are a little uneasy about father-son combos on the sidelines.

And if we open it up to a HS coach, the "Dave Logan for OC/WR" camp is going to get very vocal.

Considering it took 50 years to find a McCartney and 16 to replace McCartney why, when McCartney is interested in coaching again, would CU fans want anyone else?

Last edited:
we'll be fine.

if Mac is the hire and i am still not totally convinced that he is, he'll put together a good staff. and, it won't be nothing but former Mac players. he went all over the country getting the right staff in place the last time so why would it be different this time? i suspect there will be some familiar names like maybe either eb or embree... and maybe either cabral or hagan are retained... but, i think we'll see a diverse staff that will get it done.

no need to panic yet.

I'm not in the coach Mac camp, but I would like for the university to seek his help in interviewing candidates. He did a great job hiring assistants, and he could only help Bohn in hiring a HC...particularly since Bohn's hiring has been suspect.

I definitely am not in favor of retaining a lot of our current staff. The only one that should be asked by the next HC to be CONSIDERED (just because it's all up to the new HC) for retaining is Cabral. He has meant and done so much for CU, that's the least we could do. Kiesau may be asked for too, because of his contract extension. However, I want a new OC as well.

Speaking of former buffs though, what about Ron Woolfork? He built up the East team, but I'm not sure how his new Overland team is doing. If Cabral is not retained or if he leaves out of his own will, I say get Woolfork to be a LB coach.

Coach Simmons has been around the program still. I would love for him to return to coaching at a position. I forget the game, but he was in a suite with me last year in Folsom...it took me awhile to realize who I was talking to, but it was definitely him.

I know TC McCartney went to LSU because of Miles, not sure if he walked-on or not, but did we even give him the chance to do so here? Would have seemed like the least we could do for Mac and Sal.

I love coach Mac. Great guy, but I hope he brings in some better assistants than his son. No offense to Tom, he's done very well for himself at Fairview, but come on. It's not like he's dominated there. I think he's just a okay coach. Nothing special.

In fairness to Tom McCartney, he's done as well, or better, than should be expected. Boulder isn't a hotbed of football talent. He also has Sean Embree on his staff, for what it's worth. His teams play hard, disciplined football.

Last edited:
I think we as a board are a little uneasy about father-son combos on the sidelines.

And if we open it up to a HS coach, the "Dave Logan for OC/WR" camp is going to get very vocal.

They are always vocal and idiots. The problem is Dave wants the HC job, but is unwilling to make the sacrifice to actually work as a coordinator for a few years. You have to pay your dues, or you don't make that step. The few HS coaches who made the jump to college HC jobs were for the msot part dismal failures. i would more than welcome Dave to wrok at Cu as one of the offensive coaches for a few years, then OC for a few more, then he would be up for a HC job. Now? No.

I have absolutely no problem with that. If Dave Logan is offered an assistant coach position on the staff, I certainly hope he takes it. In fact, if I was CU's next head coach I would probably make a very vocal showing that I offered Dave Logan a coaching position on the CU football staff.

The problem is that Dave Logan wants the brass ring. He wants the #1 job. He doesn't want to be an assistant. He wants to be the head man, and he wants to do it without jumping through any hoops or doing any of the work to get there.

As long as we're just throwing names out there, Mac should hire me for public relations & fan outreach.

I've heard Logan say many times that he isn't qualified for the CU HC job. Where are people getting this crap that he wants it and nothing else?

What could Logan tell a recruit? I played for the Brown's before any of you were born and I am a good high school coach? I don't think that is going to work. He needs to be a coordinator before a head coach period.

Back