What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

In my opinion, Rick George should have extended Kap before hiring a head coach. Tough thing to force on an incoming coach, but I would’ve been prepared to eat Kap’s guaranteed salary in a bid to retain him. Thought not going that route was a mistake, especially if reports that he and family really liked living in Colorado were true.
The only offer RG could have offered Kap was interim, at the risk of Chev taking it personally. ADs shouldn't make assistant hires for a yet to be hired HC.

Yep. That’s where Chiv’s family used to stay.
It's Chev, not Chiv. Despite the actual spelling of his name, I lost that battle a few years ago. The Mullahs ruled on this. Chev sounds nice, perhaps even humorous. Chiv sounds like a prison murder weapon.

Spell it right or risk meeting the misspelled version in a dark alley, or behind Casa Bonita. You've been warned

Dorrell went against his original stated intentions of having an experienced play caller. It appears he acquiesced to Chiv’s campaigning and possible leverage to his role with recruits. This is not a good look for Karl Dorrell.
What could he have done that would’ve been a good look in your mind?

What do you want Chiv to have learned, and how/when was he supposed to have learned it?

I hope he makes improvements on balanced attack, passing schemes, predictability, feel for down and distance and adjustments.
I hope he has a QB that can make a read. Preferably two. And maybe, just maybe, be able to throw a receiver open. And if he runs, not run backwards into a sack.

It's Chev, not Chiv. Despite the actual spelling of his name, I lost that battle a few years ago. The Mullahs ruled on this. Chev sounds nice, perhaps even humorous. Chiv sounds like a prison murder weapon.

Spell it right or risk meeting the misspelled version in a dark alley, or behind Casa Bonita. You've been warned
A Chev is a ****ty car that breaks down a lot. A Chiv is a wr coach that can recruit.

Hired an experienced play caller as OC.
I have no clue what the dynamic was, but you may have risked losing Chev. Would you have been okay with that? Second, the market for experienced play callers may have been tight and, finally, Dorrell is an experienced play caller and will certainly have strong input.

The only offer RG could have offered Kap was interim, at the risk of Chev taking it personally. ADs shouldn't make assistant hires for a yet to be hired HC.
I'm on record saying that's what he should have done, just to keep Kap. It doesn't really make any football sense other than that and would have risked Chev, but a risk worth taking IMO. I think it's a push on keeping one or the other with a better chance to keep both.

A little I could find on him. (Definitely NOT a complete bio; I just followed the 1st few links from a Google search.):
A bio from his time at UCLA (looks like he was also the special teams analyst there the last couple years of Jim Mora's tenure (through 2017) after spending a few years at WSU, and started at UCLA before that as a grad assistant, so has ~7 years Pac 12 experience after playing at Vanderbuilt.) - https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/chris-reinert/1073

In 2019, he was also the special teams coach for the short lived Alliance of American Football team in Arizona (under Rick Neuheisel) per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Hotshots

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

giphy.gif

Back