What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

August 13 Scrimmage

Since Simas is a no-go and Simmons probably won't be up to speed for the first game, I am going to side with those who think Jefferson's ready. He was worked in a lot during the scrimmage and definitely has the hands to play immediately. Not a situation you'd hope for with two potential receiving freaks being sidelined, but he's a much better option over Espy, Ham and Maxwell by committee for that other WR slot. Ussery and Darden have a definite size advantage, but from the looks they got today I'm not sure they're being put on the fast track like the coaches have Will-Jeff. Darden had a catchable ball thrown his way near the end that he kind of whiffed on. Only time I really saw either with a good opportunity today.

Darden really blew an easy catch. Td got nothing thrown his way. Besides a bad route, jeff had some chemistry with Cody and was getting open.. The other young pass catcher who impressed was devaughn thorton

Re: August 13 Scrimmage; BOHN IN THE STANDS

This was by far the best lunch break I ever had. Watching the Buffs look pretty good. Keep in mind people that this is only the 1st scrimmage of the fall camp. We have 3 weeks to fine tune and get ready for the scrimmage on Sept. 6th against the Fort Collins Community Junior School.

When I was walking out I passed Mike Bohn and spoke with him for about 2 min. Hes really excited for this season as all Buff fans are. I brought up the whole tailgate debacle and he sincerely apologized to me, although I know he doesn't care what a new grad with pretty much zero clout with donations says.

He knows that guys like me will turn into big doners someday and I like the fact that he gives me the time of day everytime I see him. He may make some mistakes but by and large the guy puts his name out there and answers for it when things go wrong.

I am not an appologist of Bohn, just alumnus who thinks that hes doing a better job than Dick Tharp. How many sex scandals have we had with Bohn.

GO Buffs.
Yeah, that. Well said.

Since Simas is a no-go and Simmons probably won't be up to speed for the first game, I am going to side with those who think Jefferson's ready. He was worked in a lot during the scrimmage and definitely has the hands to play immediately. Not a situation you'd hope for with two potential receiving freaks being sidelined, but he's a much better option over Espy, Ham and Maxwell by committee for that other WR slot. Ussery and Darden have a definite size advantage, but from the looks they got today I'm not sure they're being put on the fast track like the coaches have Will-Jeff. Darden had a catchable ball thrown his way near the end that he kind of whiffed on. Only time I really saw either with a good opportunity today.

I read the big freshmen WRs had a total of THREE passes thrown in their direction. To me it seems they were being purposefully kept under wraps.

If those midget DBs from CSWho are expecting to line up against our similarly short walk-on WR's running five yard outs, imagine their shock and awe instead, seeing 6'4' and 6'5" guys coming at them on deep routes!

We'll see if they stack 8-9 guys "in the box" under those circumstances!

I read the big freshmen WRs had a total of THREE passes thrown in their direction. To me it seems they were being purposefully kept under wraps.

If those midget DBs from CSWho are expecting to line up against our similarly short walk-on WR's running five yard outs, imagine their shock and awe instead, seeing 6'4' and 6'5" guys coming at them on deep routes!

We'll see if they stack 8-9 guys "in the box" under those circumstances!
I am praying that was what Hawk was doing... however.. why waste a whole practice then? Whynot just close it and get them ready?

I am praying that was what Hawk was doing... however.. why waste a whole practice then? Whynot just close it and get them ready?

At least one of Ussery and Darden are going to redshirt IMO, so I doubt he is going that far to keep them under wraps.

Agreed. Aside from the hurdle, there were a couple other times I thought the guys got a little too rough along the sidelines. They were borderline hits out of bounds.

out of bounds tackles are no good in practice or the games, but i remember i think EB saying on the radio that one of the main reasons they were so good in the early 90's was due to the fact that the practices were more intense than the games themselves. love to see the guys really getting physical and holding nothing back.

Nice seeing you back around these parts Dark Boulder. I think the last time I saw you was when we bumped into each other at Pond Skimming in Vail this past April.

Scribbling some scrimmage observations by Tom Kensler on August 14, 2009
20080908_101029_470dots.gif

Denver Post.com

Thoughts on Colorado football following Thursday’s open intrasquad scrimmage:

The Buffs should be very efficient in third-and-short situations, using their big backs, Darrell Scott and Demetrius Sumler, behind an offensive line that could have three pro prospects in tackles Nate Solder and Bryce Givens and guard Ryan Miller.

Hated to see sophomore tailback Rodney “Speedy” Stewart go out early in the scrimmage following just one touch: a short reception in which Stewart apparently stiffened up and jogged out of bounds. Stewart then sat on the bench and stretched out his left leg. At least there was no ice or brace. A member of the CU training staff said afterward that Stewart “was just a little sore.” That’s encouraging. CU needs Stewart, who fractured a fibula in Game 9 last season against Texas A&M, to stay healthy.

Sophomore defensive end Conrad Obi, one of the nicest, brightest players on the team, can show a mean streak when he takes on offensive tackles. Perhaps because he smells a starting job, Obi’s motor has revved up. He could be one of the team’s most improved players and among the season’s best stories.

Redshirt-freshman Douglas Rippy (6-feet-1, 235) is going to be a handful for opposing offenses. Sometimes Rippy plays like a linebacker, sometimes like a defensive end. Either way, he poses a matchup problem for blockers because of his strength and quickness.

Freshman defensive tackle Nate Bonsu, a 6-2, 295-pounder from Allen, Texas, got a lot of work with the first-team defense. With CU having to replace departed seniors George Hypolite and Brandon Nicolas, Bonsu appears to be taking advantage of an opportunity. He exudes confidence.

I wouldn’t make too much out of the struggles by kicker-punter Zach Grossnickle, the freshman from Denver East. Grossnickle shanked two punts and his 35-yard field goal barely got high enough to clear the crossbar. But it’s never a shock when rookie kickers struggle. It’s all about handling pressure, and that can take some time. Some CU fans may remember that 2002 Ray Guy Award winner Mark Mariscal looked terrible during his first college camp.

Don’t write off the two freshman receivers from Texas, Jarrod Darden and Terdema Ussery. Yes, it is a bit surprising that they have been surpassed by new arrival Will Jefferson. But it’s much too early to pass judgment. Colorado could use their size, especially if the academic issues of junior-college transfer Andre Simmons do not get cleared up.

Heard some fans grumbling during the scrimmage that there wasn’t much excitement. They’re right. Just two touchdowns: a short run by Sumler and a punt return by Jason Espinoza. But that was all by design. CU coaches weren’t about to empty their playbook in an open scrimmage, not knowing if some CSU spy might be in the stands.

Didn't realize the WHOLE practice centered on a couple of freshman WRs!:lol:
Nobody said they didn't play.....they just didn't get their numbers called on deep pass routes. Actually, what they got is experience blocking---which is what they need just as much, if not more.

Didn't realize the WHOLE practice centered on a couple of freshman WRs!:lol:
Nobody said they didn't play.....they just didn't get their numbers called on deep pass routes. Actually, what they got is experience blocking---which is what they need just as much, if not more.
you really do have trouble with reading comprehension then don't you? Don't worry, I also believe Hawk is infallible and never does anything wrong.

I am praying that was what Hawk was doing... however.. why waste a whole practice then? Why not just close it and get them ready?

For one reason, some of the guys need to get used to playing in front of a crowd, even if it's a small crowd, it's a stadium and it's a start.

you really do have trouble with reading comprehension then don't you? Don't worry, I also believe Hawk is infallible and never does anything wrong.

Don't worry about it. Bunky is a bit excitable and prone to ignoring what people actually post.

bump. Just interesting to read the first scrimmage reports from last year.....

I just reread this, and the one thing that stood out at me is that I used to like you people a lot more last year.

Looks like I bitched last year, too, about this being mid-day in the middle of the week. :lol:

That's funny, I didn't even realize today is only the 12th until I got to the part about Scott getting some carries and was like....wtf.

Back