What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ballenger's first play

Cody is and should be the starter for the rest of the year. Next year though, the starter should be whoever wins it in camp. That being said, Ballanger needs to continue to see the field whenever the game is no longer in doubt.

I'll stipulate to your point but tell me something: would you agree that if everything else were equal that Ballenger would still have a significant height, strength, and (evidently) mobility advantage over Cody? That must count for something. I want to believe that Hawk has an absolutely objective view of his son as far as his ability goes but as I've mentioned before I'm a father myself and I can tell you that it's next to impossible to be coldly dispassionate about your own son. He has a rooting interest in Cody being the starter. Whatever he says to the contrary that is simply a fact. Any of us would feel the same about our sons in that position. I'm not blaming him but someone needs to broach the possibility to him that Ballenger (or even Hansen) might need to get a real shot at ingame experience. Cody is not getting the job done. Patchwork O-line or not he isn't producing.

It's not jr high or high school football. Coach Hawkins is not going to throw away his life's work to start his son. The nepotism argument is tired. If this was the case then why is the other son just a walk on at BSU and not on scholarship at CU. Besides I think that Cody has enough character to say he was/is not the best option.

I have to admit, though, that seeing a QB standing back there who could actually see over the line of scrimmage was kind of warm and fuzzy.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying that Hawk has a conscious vested interest in Cody being the starter whatever the consequences. I'm suggesting he's not fully aware of his own conflict of interest. I think it's almost beyond question that unconcsiously he would favor his son over a stranger. If you're a parent you'll understand, if you're not yet you will some day. I could be wrong and I'm not judging him for it anyway. I'm just hoping that the staff is able and willing to go against the grain and suggest a change if they come to that conclusion.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying that Hawk has a conscious vested interest in Cody being the starter whatever the consequences. I'm suggesting he's not fully aware of his own conflict of interest. I think it's almost beyond question that unconcsiously he would favor his son over a stranger. If you're a parent you'll understand, if you're not yet you will some day. I could be wrong and I'm not judging him for it anyway. I'm just hoping that the staff is able and willing to go against the grain and suggest a change if they come to that conclusion.

I sometimes think the assistants are afraid to tell the emporer that he isn't wearing any clothes. :lol:

I agree DBT, it was very refreshing to watch a QB who didn't get an echo off of the center's ass during the snap count. I don't know if Ballenger should start or not, but he does open up the ability to hit short crossing routes over the middle.

I agree DBT, it was very refreshing to watch a QB who didn't get an echo off of the center's ass during the snap count. I don't know if Ballenger should start or not, but he does open up the ability to hit short crossing routes over the middle.

Probably the only soarness the tu D-Linemen will feel tomorrow is where Cody smacked 'em with the football! :lol:

TU game planned to Cody's height. They know that slants are not going to happen and over loaded the line on obvious passing downs. Our D had enough problems keeping TU's front four out but when they sent someone else it was over.

this is a stupid conversation. Our O line is the problem, not our QB

Perhaps the OL AND the QB are both a problem.

The issues with the OL are that they are young and banged up, both of which can be overcome.

The issues with the QB are not so easy to overcome. The simple truth is that Cody is undersized, slow, has a relatively weak arm, tends to turn the ball over frequently, and hasn't been particularly accurate of late to boot. I hate to say it but it appears QB will be a limiting factor on how rapidly CU becomes a top flight team again.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not blaming Cody for this loss, nor am I calling for him to get benched. I haven't seen the other QB's play and I trust the coaches will put the players that give the team the best chance to win on the field. That said, if Cody is the best we have at QB, the coaches must do a much better job of designing game plans that minimize plays that require him to play outside of his physical ability.

Cody has not done well all year. It's time we moved on. I get the feeling with Cody that we will be the same ol 6-7-ish team we were last year as long as he is the guy here. Im sure hes a good person but he doesn't have the skills to cut it in the Big 12. Due to his physical limitations we are an easy offense to defend. Giant chunks of the field are taken out of play pretty much whenever we are in a passing situation because everyone knows that Cody doesnt have the ability to make throws to a lot of places. I think Coach Hawkins is going to find himself in a difficult place this week. I dont envy his position of trying to be a good father and a good coach at the same time.

Ballenger needs to start against Kansas. Just because Cody has met his full potential and it obviously isnt good enough. :huh:

Cody is and should be the starter for the rest of the year. Next year though, the starter should be whoever wins it in camp. That being said, Ballanger needs to continue to see the field whenever the game is no longer in doubt.

Maybe earlier. If I remember right, Pinkle played Daniels for one or two series in the 2nd qtr of a number of games, with the first team O, just to get him some game-time experience.

Against uterus last night, that might have been scary. Then again, Ballenger would have seen the true speed of the game, and who knows how he would have responded.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a qb controversy or the idea of benching Cody. But I do think that the Buffs might be able to improve Ballenger's preparation some if the staff were will to give him a few snaps here and there when its not garbage time. JMHO.

What good is it to know the playbook if you can't get the ball to the receivers or RBs. I have been a suppporter of Cody since he arrived, but it seems like teams are figuring him out. Particularly good ones like UT and FSU.

With a beat up OL that won't be fixed in 2008, we need a QB that can stand and look out beyond the OL and not rely on the play action. Ballenger has shown good pocket presence and deserves a shot at starting. There is no reason JFly, Geer, Devenny have 1 catch each and McKnight only having 2.

What good is it to know the playbook if you can't get the ball to the receivers or RBs. I have been a suppporter of Cody since he arrived, but it seems like teams are figuring him out. Particularly good ones like UT and FSU.

With a beat up OL that won't be fixed in 2008, we need a QB that can stand and look out beyond the OL and not rely on the play action. Ballenger has shown good pocket presence and deserves a shot at starting. There is no reason JFly, Geer, Devenny have 1 catch each and McKnight only having 2.

:dito: OK, I've had my coffee, and slept on it. I have to say I agree that we need some changes AND QB is one of them. Cody has peaked, and perhaps he did better in the spring, but I think he hasnt improved since then. What little we saw of Ballenger (I know it was garbage time vs 2nd stringers) showed most of us that he has the size, arm strength, faster feet, vision to play in the Big XII. We dont need a great QB, Klatt and Pesavento were not great but there much better than Cody. I know, its the Oline. I agree the Oline is also young; knowing that we need the QB that best perform with that weakness. There will not be much time to throw before the pocket collapses as all teams will give pressure, it's no secret that's a weakness of the Buffs this year. SOOO, need a more mobile QB that can run when he needs to like Ballenger did last night. Need a QB that can throw quick and fast before the D gets to him, like Ballenger did last night. Need a QB that doesnt get balls batted down 4 or 5 times a game with better vision that opens up slant routes and deep throws. I believe they should at least share time.

You can all say there is no QB controversy, folks.. YES there is. Look at the Rocky Mtn News poll. Just like Hawk says he goes with the hot hands in the RB position, he may need to do that with the QB. Yes I know, it's harder to change the team dynamics with a change in the "leader" but its been done before with lots of success. Mangino and Gundy did it midseason. So did Mack Brown.

It's obvious DH gets defensive when people start bashing his son. But they arent bashing him as his son, they are bashing his playing ability as a QB.
SO, he needs to think as the Head coach NOT as a father and realize maybe THIS QB isnt the answer. He needs to start planning for the future of the program.

Just MHO, but appears to be the opinion of majority of fans now.

You guys really like playing with fire. Do you guys realize the damage you can do to a young QB if you insert him into the lineup before he is ready? This whole "Well, we're not going anywhere anyway attitude" is not a good reason to put in an inexperienced QB behind an awful offensive line. You really risk damaging the psyche of a young QB if he has to take a pounding and struggles. I'm not ready to do that.

I have slept on it. And yes, this conversation is still stupid. Cody was far and away the better QB in the scrimmages. He just faced two of the most talented defensive fronts in the country with probably the youngest offensive line in the country. He got ****ing murdered both weeks. He missed some receivers last week, well, bad weeks happen. This week, he had NO RUNNING GAME, and NO time. Chase Daniel couldn't have done well in that situation. All those tipped balls ocurred because someone was in his face because they weren't blocked.

Ballenger came in against a backup D that was sitting back and did well. Great, but not impressive. Cody played against one of the top defenses in the country and didn't turn the ball over despite being absolutely pummeled. He got ZERO help last night.

The good news? We won't face a defensive front like the last two until sometime next season. Its all downhill from here! Also, the Oline can't play worse than they did last night. They were turnstiles. With practice, I hope they gel and come together a bit. A serviceable line should be good enough to get us to 7 wins.

OK, you can simply ignore it that a QB controversy is growing. I'm for giving Ballenger a shot. Other young QBs have been thrown into the fire and have excelled. If it doesnt work, it was prob no worse than with Cody, and next year we also have Hansen.

Everyone is right here. By the way, nice reference to Adam Bledsoe, Neuheisel's #1 recruit that not only couldn't start at CU, but transferred to Div 2 and couldn't win the job there either! Ballenger showed way more athletic ability than Bledsoe had. This guy was a better basketball player than a football player. He's an athlete who is rather raw still in QB skills. This is the opposite of Cody, who has been polishing his skills for most of his life with college-calibre instruction...

Cody doesn't have the physical tools. He is probably the best overall QB we have right now. He's also been on the practice field of a major college program since he was about 5 years old. He's worked with some of the best teachers the world has. He has also been with Helfrich for a long time. Will he get better? From what i have been able to observe, Cody has not gotten any better with playing experience. His physical limitations are holding him back. A direct comparison to the 3 QB's (Reesing, McCoy and Daniels) in the Big 12 that are having great success with a similar frame as Cody shows:

Similiar height (short)
Similiar arm strength (average)
Dis-similiar Agility/escapeability (Cody is below average, the others are above average)

You can't teach this last skill. Cody doesn't have it.

I am not going to read much into Ballenger's performance here in mop up. What I will support is that Ballenger start to get some time. This offense is loaded with young talent. We will be good next year and great the two years after that if we get some good WR's this year. Next year's offensive line could feature Behrens, Bahr, Miller and Tuiti-Mariner up front (freshmen and sophomores) and we will have depth and experience next year and for two more years after that.

Cody may be the best QB at this time, but I BELIEVE he has hit his ceiling and it's well below what we need to compete with Texas and OU in two years. Not sure if Ballenger, or Hansen (Redshirting) can be better next year or the year after that than Cody is now, but a little playing time will go a long way to helping them find their ceiling.

I say stick with Cody and find 6 wins and a bowl game, but start getting some snaps to Ballenger in every game. Mizzou played Daniels as a freshman every game. It is essential to his learning. Everyone on the planet could see that Ballenger is a big, strong-armed athletic guy. Find a series here and there for him and let's see what he can do.

2011:
Ballenger QB
Scott, Polk, Stewart: RB
Deehan, Wallace: TE
Behrens: C
Tuioti-Mariner: RG
Iltis or Bahr: LG
Miller: RT
Givens: LT

Simas: WR (and a couple other of the 18 studs we are recruiting at WR this year).
That spells Big-12 elite and National Championship calibre offense if the qB can play. Let's start finding out now without throwing the season completely away!

We had this same thread last week and it got deleted. HAHAHAHA

The fact is, BECAUSE of Cody's height, we couldn't run the plays you need to run against a team getting that kind of pass rush against you. You need three step or less drops, quick slants, screens, quick outs. Codys height precludes everything but quick outs and the occasional screen. Cody's arm precludes the quick outs because it takes too long for the ball to get to the outside.

Who gives a **** if someone knows the playbook better, if he can't run the plays!

I wanted to get that in before this thread gets deleted too for bashing a player

We had this same thread last week and it got deleted. HAHAHAHA

There is a fine line between discussing a players skill level and flat out attacking a player. So far not many posts this week have crossed the line. Last weeks did.

But I am watching with my delete stick. :asskicking:

Everyone is right here. By the way, nice reference to Adam Bledsoe, Neuheisel's #1 recruit that not only couldn't start at CU, but transferred to Div 2 and couldn't win the job there either! Ballenger showed way more athletic ability than Bledsoe had. This guy was a better basketball player than a football player. He's an athlete who is rather raw still in QB skills. This is the opposite of Cody, who has been polishing his skills for most of his life with college-calibre instruction...

Cody doesn't have the physical tools. He is probably the best overall QB we have right now. He's also been on the practice field of a major college program since he was about 5 years old. He's worked with some of the best teachers the world has. He has also been with Helfrich for a long time. Will he get better? From what i have been able to observe, Cody has not gotten any better with playing experience. His physical limitations are holding him back. A direct comparison to the 3 QB's (Reesing, McCoy and Daniels) in the Big 12 that are having great success with a similar frame as Cody shows:

Similiar height (short)
Similiar arm strength (average)
Dis-similiar Agility/escapeability (Cody is below average, the others are above average)

You can't teach this last skill. Cody doesn't have it.

I am not going to read much into Ballenger's performance here in mop up. What I will support is that Ballenger start to get some time. This offense is loaded with young talent. We will be good next year and great the two years after that if we get some good WR's this year. Next year's offensive line could feature Behrens, Bahr, Miller and Tuiti-Mariner up front (freshmen and sophomores) and we will have depth and experience next year and for two more years after that.

Cody may be the best QB at this time, but I BELIEVE he has hit his ceiling and it's well below what we need to compete with Texas and OU in two years. Not sure if Ballenger, or Hansen (Redshirting) can be better next year or the year after that than Cody is now, but a little playing time will go a long way to helping them find their ceiling.

I say stick with Cody and find 6 wins and a bowl game, but start getting some snaps to Ballenger in every game. Mizzou played Daniels as a freshman every game. It is essential to his learning. Everyone on the planet could see that Ballenger is a big, strong-armed athletic guy. Find a series here and there for him and let's see what he can do.

2011:
Ballenger QB
Scott, Polk, Stewart: RB
Deehan, Wallace: TE
Behrens: C
Tuioti-Mariner: RG
Iltis or Bahr: LG
Miller: RT
Givens: LT

Simas: WR (and a couple other of the 18 studs we are recruiting at WR this year).
That spells Big-12 elite and National Championship calibre offense if the qB can play. Let's start finding out now without throwing the season completely away!
I agree with most of this. The team needs to give some game reps to the back-up. Not only to see if Cody is our best quarterback, but we need to have more than one QB on the roster with game experience. Even if Cody is our best QB, our back-up needs some reps in case Cody gets hurt. With the way the line is blocking, an injury to Cody is a real possibility.

One last thing...although I'm not sure what to think of the QB situation, I do know that I could not be more pleased with how Cody has represented our university. Big Hawk has raised one hell of a kid.

I've said this before: I love Cody, his passion, his leadership, etc. But it is clear that he is not the qb that is going to lead us back to the Big 12 title game down the road. Ballenger clearly has the tools and G-d given ability that Cody wasn't given. Size, (appears a little more speed), and the arm. Sometimes you have to give up a little to gain a lot. While the coaches may seem to think we have the best chance to win now with CH, MB getting reps gives us a better opportunity of winning years down the road.

Believe me, I was one of the last ones sitting on the C-Hawk Wagon. But, I'm sorry. I have jumped off especially now that I've seen that he can do a little. Split time, 66-33, or even 75-25. We need to see some other QB's in there.

Last edited:
I agree with most of this. The team needs to give some game reps to the back-up. Not only to see if Cody is our best quarterback, but we need to have more than one QB on the roster with game experience. Even if Cody is our best QB, our back-up needs some reps in case Cody gets hurt. With the way the line is blocking, an injury to Cody is a real possibility.

One last thing...although I'm not sure what to think of the QB situation, I do know that I could not be more pleased with how Cody has represented our university. Big Hawk has raised one hell of a kid.

:yeahthat: Ballenger might have to be thrown into the fire if Cody keeps getting hit like that. One good hit and Ballenger will HAVE to come in. The better prepared he is the better.

I think Cody I a good kid, good PR, but let him do the PR job not the QB job. Better to prepare for the future, and who knows, maybe this Ballenger kid might actually turn out to be a good QB.

Seems some people dont think he has a chance in hell in succeeding.

Seems some people dont think he has a chance in hell in succeeding.

Where did you get this in the thread? All I see in this thread is people saying the timing is not right yet to make a change. Stop making **** up.

Cody SHOULD start.He just needs to lead the wr's more,the db's get too much time to make up ground to bat it away,at least good db's on good teams.

I wouldn't mind balleneger getting a series or two a game in the right circumstance.

Cody SHOULD start.He just needs to lead the wr's more,the db's get too much time to make up ground to bat it away,at least good db's on good teams.

I wouldn't mind balleneger getting a series or two a game in the right circumstance.
this, I am fine with.

Back