What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Basketball Coaching Carousel

Our fierce and hated rival Utah has his New Jersey Nets assistant Larry Krystkowiak as their new head coach.

Both the boomer and mizzery hires are kinda underwhelming.

Lon K has coached in talent-laden areas but never really produced great results -- solid or decent, but not great. He's kind of "safe" hire; one that should do things the right way and stay off the ncaa skyline.

The mizzery hire has me scratching my head. Couldn't they do better? Was this desperation?

NC State is clinicing schools on how to run a coaching search. How many times have they been turned down?

It looks like Mizzou has hired Frank Haith. He was former coach for Miami(FL) http://twitter.com/#!/JoeWalljasper/status/54751434331271168

I don't expect him to produce better results than Snyder or Anderson, but I don't think it will be much worse either. Probably the best name they'd be able to pull this offseason and at least they're making the hire sooner rather than let it play out another few weeks, given they weren't getting any of their top choices regardless.

Haith recruited some All-American high school talent while Rick Barnes' top assistant at Texas, so he knows the Big 12 footprint well. If his gameday coaching outside the ACC stays the course or he learns a few things we're talking about a team that's already ahead of Iowa State, Tech and the Oklahoma schools that may at worst get NIT appearances every single year. That's better than a lot of current major conference programs have going for them.

I keep hearing that Yow their AD is a major pain in the ass. Never heard of her before. If this keeps up she will be out.

Yow was the Maryland AD before going to NCSU and apparently she had some run-in's with Gary Williams up there.

On the surface, Martin seems like the logical choice for UM...he's from there and has coached at the high school level there (although his HS coaching days were somewhat controversial and scandal-filled)...question is though, would he want to leave a fairly successful and well-supported program in K-State to go to something of a college hoops wasteland in Coral Gables? Rebuilding there and getting fans to come to games will be a massive undertaking...

On the surface, Martin seems like the logical choice for UM...he's from there and has coached at the high school level there (although his HS coaching days were somewhat controversial and scandal-filled)...question is though, would he want to leave a fairly successful and well-supported program in K-State to go to something of a college hoops wasteland in Coral Gables? Rebuilding there and getting fans to come to games will be a massive undertaking...

Right. He's beaten the top two teams in his own conference with some regularity and the one school he can't beat left the conference. Can't see him going to a school apathetic about basketball and competing in the ACC, being the 3rd (or 4th) best program in his own state and trying to win recruiting battles against Duke and Carolina.

Right. He's beaten the top two teams in his own conference with some regularity and the one school he can't beat left the conference. Can't see him going to a school apathetic about basketball and competing in the ACC, being the 3rd (or 4th) best program in his own state and trying to win recruiting battles against Duke and Carolina.

On the other hand it is home, he has lots of friends and family there. KjSU is not exactly a place people put on their list of where they would go live if they hit the lotto. Another big also is that Miami doesn't have great fan support but they have some boosters who are willing top put up cash and lots of it. If they throw enough money at him he may become interested.

He has had some success in the Big XII but in the long term he isn't much more likely to pass KU and Texas at K state than he is to win the ACC on a regular basis at Miami, then it becomes an issue of money and quality of life.

Choice between living on the Gold Coast of Florida versus Manhattan Kansas. That would tip it for me.

I don't know that the Miami job is as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I won't disagree that the fans may be apathetic toward the team right now, but that can be quickly turned around if they get the right coach in there to generate some enthusiams. They don't have a big arena to fill and should be able to feed off the hype of the Heat, and they're clearly in a city with much more basketball interest than USF is in Tampa so they should be able to land some top recruits in the state. The ACC may be down right now but the conference is waiting for somebody, anybody, to step up and challenge Duke and UNC, which puts Miami in a spot that's ripe for success. And they had some decent success under Leonard Hamilton in the late 90's so it's not like they're completely void of winning down there.

Also, something to consider is that Miami does not have a permanent AD at the moment because Kirby Hocutt bolted for Texas Tech...the interim AD (a long time UM athletic department employee, who, IMO, is unlikely to get the interim tag removed from his title) will be making this hire...would you want to step into a situation where you don't know who your boss is going to be???

NC State is set to hire former Alabama coach Mark Gottfried. In 13 seasons as the head coach at Murrey State and Alabama he went to the NCAA tournament 7 times and the NIT 4 times.

Last edited:
NC State is set to hire former Alabama coach Mark Gottfired. In 13 seasons as the head coach at Murrey State and Alabama he went to the NCAA tournament 7 times and the NIT 4 times.

:rofl2: I'm sure NC State fans are thrilled.

Typo, but maybe it was a freudian slip.

11 postseason apperances in 13 years. Sounds pretty good to me.

They could have hired him 3 weeks ago. They settled on him because everyone they talked to said no thanks. Great hire if they want to continue to be mediocre.

Back