What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

I can see the case for NCAA intervention here (even if the unintended consequences are bad), but I think using Penn State as an example for NCAA intervention is misguided.

I can see the case for NCAA intervention here (even if the unintended consequences are bad), but I think using Penn State as an example for NCAA intervention is misguided.
Never wrote anything about the NCAA. Both of those universities issues were and are well beyond the NCAA. But so far, neither have been penalized in any meaningful way.

But, to be clear, if the NCAA actually had any authority, there was clear lack of institutional control at Penn State too.

Never wrote anything about the NCAA. Both of those universities issues were and are well beyond the NCAA. But so far, neither have been penalized in any meaningful way.

But, to be clear, if the NCAA actually had any authority, there was clear lack of institutional control at Penn State too.
The big difference here and what might change everything is that Penn State wasn't using child rape as a recruiting tactic (we don't know yet if Baylor recruits or transfers on visits were at these alleged parties with the dog fights and running trains on drugged woman). Further to that, Penn State wasn't gaining a competitive advantage by covering up for Sandusky while Baylor just might have had an institution-wide program of non-reporting, police complicity and intimidation of victims in order to protect the football team. Last, there are the Title IX aspects and NCAA rules about gender participation that may have been violated by Baylor not protecting its female athletes (volleyball player is latest lawsuit).

So, while both situations are unconscionable, it appears as though the NCAA did not have jurisdiction over the Penn State scandal because it was only a criminal issue (NCAA penalties against PSU were later overturned under legal challenge). With the Baylor scandal, there is reason to suspect that the criminal issues cross over into things of which the NCAA has jurisdiction -- namely, issues of competition and compliance.

The big difference here and what might change everything is that Penn State wasn't using child rape as a recruiting tactic (we don't know yet if Baylor recruits or transfers on visits were at these alleged parties with the dog fights and running trains on drugged woman). Further to that, Penn State wasn't gaining a competitive advantage by covering up for Sandusky while Baylor just might have had an institution-wide program of non-reporting, police complicity and intimidation of victims in order to protect the football team. Last, there are the Title IX aspects and NCAA rules about gender participation that may have been violated by Baylor not protecting its female athletes (volleyball player is latest lawsuit).

So, while both situations are unconscionable, it appears as though the NCAA did not have jurisdiction over the Penn State scandal because it was only a criminal issue (NCAA penalties against PSU were later overturned under legal challenge). With the Baylor scandal, there is reason to suspect that the criminal issues cross over into things of which the NCAA has jurisdiction -- namely, issues of competition and compliance.

I understand your points. My point was just to show that the NCAA has no teeth anyway as proved by the penalties being overturned. However, I would argue that Penn State gained a competitive advantage by covering up for Sandusky. Clearly they felt covering up for him for decades was beneficial for their football program, maybe to keep their image from being tarnished and maybe because they felt Sandusky was a better coach than others. There was also a lot information out there that more than just Paterno knew about Sanduskys actions. Clearly an institution that participated in a coverup, unless that information was false.

At any rate, the reason I brought up Penn State was to show that I dont believe justice will be served regardless of jurisdiction. If Penn State is looking at this from the perspective of the health of their football program, then they would conclude they made the right choice by covering up and deferring the Sandusky scandal as long as possible, since all of nothing really happened to their program. I hope the right people can make an example of Baylor, but Im not holding my breath.

As Staples says up front - and let's hope he's not right:

Every time something new surfaces in the Baylor scandal, a question follows. Where is the NCAA? Another question typically follows that one. When is Baylor getting the death penalty?

Let’s answer both straight away.

1) The NCAA is exactly where it has been in most cases that involve potential violations of state and federal law but no known violations of NCAA rules. It is out of its depth.
2) Baylor—specifically Baylor football, because why punish the track team?—is not getting the death penalty.

This may enrage you if you’ve read the accusations of gang rape, victim shaming and a cover-up that went to the top of Baylor's athletic department detailed in a civil suit served upon the school Tuesday by attorneys for a former Bears volleyball player. If even a fraction of what is alleged is true, those responsible should face serious punishment from every organization that governed them while employed at Baylor.

But they won’t.

How/why does any female decide to go to bailer at this point? No way would I send a daughter there....
My niece goes there and says that there are basically 2 different universities on campus. one that evolves around sports and another that has absolutely nothing to do with it. Blows my mind that a large part of the student body is ambivalent towards the issue, since they have nothing to do with that side of the university. I feel bad for my niece, but hope this gets huge national attention just to show the rest of the university that institutional bad decisions, and outright criminal behavior, by the athletic department has profound ramifications on the rest of the university.

The irony between CU and Baylor is palpable. CU will potentially kill its up and coming football program by its own hand in a case where the coach and AD tried to do the correct thing and fired the perpetrator. Bailer, meanwhile, fosters a culture of sexual assault against women and continues to recruit top talent and support its rogue program. To add to it, they basically blew off the law firm that investigated them and we are giving the same firm Carte Blanche.

The irony between CU and Baylor is palpable. CU will potentially kill its up and coming football program by its own hand in a case where the coach and AD tried to do the correct thing and fired the perpetrator. Bailer, meanwhile, fosters a culture of sexual assault against women and continues to recruit top talent and support its rogue program. To add to it, they basically blew off the law firm that investigated them and we are giving the same firm Carte Blanche.
Other schools use CU as a case study. Better to deny, cover up, pay off, and move on as if nothing happened.

At the end of this article:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts...cle_1b391c59-1722-5532-9c3b-058b07850249.html

There is one player convicted, one player who had his conviction over turned on a technicality and is awaiting a new trail, and 3 players charged and awaiting trial. So potentially 5 convicted rapists at one university, under one coach, all committing multiple acts.

Sounds like lack of institutional control to me.

Vis a vis the NCAA, whats important to keep in mind here is did the obstruction or interference of investigation and prosectution on the part of Baylor create a laisez faire type environment? Would have making an example of one or two of these kids force the others back in line? Conversely the lack of enforcement may have had the opposite effect in which athletes were embolden to misbehave because they knew they were safe.

That fits the envelope of lack of institutional control in my humble opinion

I assume the NCAA doesn't consider rape to be an NCAA violation. One would have to tie it to, say, a recruiting violation or something. But, then, the NCAA doesn't seem to care much about those either.

This school will be forever tainted by these allegations. I'm hoping that this will eventually bring an end to the school in its entirety.

Disgusting behavior by every single person involved. I'm curious as to whether female enrollment has dropped or whether it will this fall. No way in hell I would send a daughter there.

This school will be forever tainted by these allegations. I'm hoping that this will eventually bring an end to the school in its entirety.

Disgusting behavior by every single person involved. I'm curious as to whether female enrollment has dropped or whether it will this fall. No way in hell I would send a daughter there.
Excellent use of "taint" as a verb. That place is so foul.

Brass tacks. Would you rather be CU or (****) Bailer?

Brass tacks. Would you rather be CU or (****) Bailer?

I don't know why Baylor isn't used. It's the Baylor brand that is stained. The use of the misspelling trivializes the seriousness of the allegations and felonies. Baylor doesn't deserve a nick name. Nobody calls Charles Manson "Chuck" or the San Andres Fault "Andre".

The Baylor brand directly ties to rape, murder, lying, cheating and cover-up. It's who they are. And we on AllBuff should own up to this fact.

I don't know why Baylor isn't used. It's the Baylor brand that is stained. The use of the misspelling trivializes the seriousness of the allegations and felonies. Baylor doesn't deserve a nick name. Nobody calls Charles Manson "Chuck" or the San Andres Fault "Andre".

The Baylor brand directly ties to rape, murder, lying, cheating and cover-up. It's who they are. And we on AllBuff should own up to this fact.
Hear, hear!

They know what people are saying and what it means.

I should have used the sarcasm font but based on their response I'm not sure they do know what it means.

Everything they have done since this thing first hit the national media is to deny, deride, and deflect. They either claim that it didn't happen or was no big deal, attack the messengers and especially the victims, and try to dump the blame on a few associated individuals while ignoring that those in power who knew what was/is happening and refused to do anything about it are still in power.

They are still thoroughly convinced that they, not the women, are the victims and that what they have done is normal and acceptable.

If through all of this they are able to keep the dogs at bay and get little or no punishment, we will be seeing in action the reality of big money and political influence. Pedo State was a disgrace to college athletics, but while there were many innocent, young victims, there was one main predator. Plenty of culpability to go around, but one main predator.

What has happened at ****bailer is truly horrific and speaks to an entire culture that is rotten to it's foundations. And this is with the determined effort being made a avoid anything that resembles transparency and keep the cover over the whole thing. Who on these teams wasn't guilty of rape or sexual assault may be an easier question to answer at this point. One has to wonder how many more ashamed young women are out there that will never come forward? Rape is as natural as eating, breathing and sleeping to that bunch. Worst athletic department in the country as far as I am concerned.

The NCAA and the legal system should exhaust all avenues to make an example of ****bailer, but I think in the end this is all swept under the rug by money, attorneys and political influence.

Why would a recruit want the stigma, the rest of his life, of having been a Baylor Bear? "Yeah, I played football at Baylor." "Oh yeah? How many chicks did you rape? Haha."

Why would a recruit want the stigma, the rest of his life, of having been a Baylor Bear? "Yeah, I played football at Baylor." "Oh yeah? How many chicks did you rape? Haha."
I think the point is, there isn't a lot of stigma so far, for whatever reason. I blame Waco and the state of Texas in that order.

Back