What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Allegedly.

And, really, it's hard to believe that Craig James killed 5 hookers (allegedly). I mean, 1 is pretty believable... even 2 or 3 even if these are only rumors and allegations. But alleging that Craig James killed 5 hookers is a bit much to consider.

They could have out right fired Briles. They didn't. They put him on suspension with intent to fire. There is no guarantee it actually happens.

They could have fired Ken Starr. They didn't. They demoted him but allowed him to keep teaching students. In the law program no less.
The report said something like intent to fire in accordance with his contract. So there is likely a proscribed set of events that have to occur to be compliant with that contract.

And, really, it's hard to believe that Craig James killed 5 hookers (allegedly). I mean, 1 is pretty believable... even 2 or 3 even if these are only rumors and allegations. But alleging that Craig James killed 5 hookers is a bit much to consider.
Maybe his kid helped. Seemed like a closet alleged hooker-killer to me.

Hey, I guess if you are going to kill 1 hooker, why stop there?

Damn, I hate that I'm going to say this, but:

What would we have Baylor do differently? They know their football program is very important to them. They also know they screwed up and need to address their mistakes. They obviously want to throw some people under the bus while maintaining some continuity in the program. Can't really blame them for that. They're hoping by throwing Briles under the bus and releasing their entire 2016 class that they can "do the right thing" while maintaining their momentum. What happened there is disgusting, but I don't think we can expect them to commit athletic suicide to satisfy our thirst for blood.
Outright fire Starr, the AD McCaw, Briles, His staff, the campus police chief... Kill the program for a year or two

Dude, comparing what SMU did - paying players - is miles from covering up pedofilia, rape, and murder.

Or maybe you're referring g to some other Methodist school?
Watch Pony Excess, paying players was only part of the BS at SMU. Yes it was the most widely reported, but there were other things that went down. That said I agree that it was not at PSU and Bailer level. It is however the only case of the Death Penalty which alone puts it in the top scandals

1. Release the actual report to the media, not a watered down press release.
2. Tell us who they actually fired besides Briles.
3. Fire the AD, not just suspend him.
4. Fire any football staffer who was directly involved in pressuring witnesses, coaching players on testimony or - especially - the retaliation against the woman who actually went ahead with reporting sexual assault.
5. Give specifics on what new standards are to be put in place for vetting any transfer they accept.
6. Completely gut and replace the Title IX and Compliance personnel at Baylor.
7. Fire Ken Starr rather than reversing the vote after he allegedly threatened the board or regents after they initially decided to terminate him.

Is that suicide? Only if the majority of the coaching staff was found in their internal investigation to have broken federal law by interfering with a Title IX complaint. But they're going to keep them on the football staff to coach this season? You've got to be ****ing kidding me.
I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. Thats what we would think would be appropriate. I think, from their standpoint, that they would prefer to do "something" that makes it look like they're addressing the problem and holding people accountable while at the same time protecting their cash cow.

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. Thats what we would think would be appropriate. I think, from their standpoint, that they would prefer to do "something" that makes it look like they're addressing the problem and holding people accountable while at the same time protecting their cash cow.

Exactly.

It's disgusting.

Why defend it?

So @Duff Man and @Buffnik .... Can either of you explain why this situation doesn't warrant the NCAA dropping the hammer? I understand your view on why the NCAA should stay away from PSU (I don't necessarily agree with it, but see your point), but I think there are clear differences here, including the dreaded "lack of institutional control", involving student athletes. This is a serious question; not trying to start an argument.

Outright fire Starr, the AD McCaw, Briles, His staff, the campus police chief... Kill the program for a year or two
That's what we all want. That's program suicide, though. They really want to avoid that. They're doing the minimum they think they have to do in order to assuage the masses while protecting the athletic program.

There's a lot of folks around here that wish CU would take the same approach.

So @Duff Man and @Buffnik .... Can either of you explain why this situation doesn't warrant the NCAA dropping the hammer? I understand your view on why the NCAA should stay away from PSU (I don't necessarily agree with it, but see your point), but I think there are clear differences here, including the dreaded "lack of institutional control", involving student athletes. This is a serious question; not trying to start an argument.
Where has nik said that it isnt warranted

That's what we all want. That's program suicide, though. They really want to avoid that. They're doing the minimum they think they have to do in order to assuage the masses while protecting the athletic program.

no program suicide would be ending the football program, firing all involved is justified

I think there might be an NCAA issue here since it was related to eligibility of players. Same way they can penalize for grade fixing. In this case, it was interference with criminal allegations that fall under the federal Title IX. I actually think the NCAA has a pretty clear role on this one.

no program suicide would be ending the football program, firing all involved is justified
Maybe nik does take a different stance on this one. I thought he and Duff were in agreement on this one as well.

I hope the NCAA stays far away from the situation.

I think the seal was broken on NCAA involvement on things like this when they banned Penn State from post-season play, allowed transfer without penalty, fined them, vacated wins, and reduced scholarships.

Only good things can come from widening the NCAA's authority.

I would hope that CU and the people in Boulder wouldn't let something like this happen. The people who are involved in this broke federal laws and in no way should be allowed to continue with their jobs coaching football. If this was any other profession these people would be facing jail time not moving positions within the company

I think there might be an NCAA issue here since it was related to eligibility of players. Same way they can penalize for grade fixing. In this case, it was interference with criminal allegations that fall under the federal Title IX. I actually think the NCAA has a pretty clear role on this one.
My apologies. I thought you and Duff felt the NCAA should stay away from this.

I think it is a DOJ matter, not NCAA. Again, as I asked in the Penn State thread, which crimes rise to the level of NCAA involvement?

the proof of the spin effort is the "report". had this occurred nearly anywhere else, the full report would have been released with the victims' names redacted but all of the perpetrators and conspirators named. there would be a clear record of disciplinary efforts and actions taken, and evidence of wrong-doing, not a list of aspirational platitudes of how they intend to do better in the future.

and, yes, this is absolutely an NCAA matter. there will be sanctions. while i think they deserve the death penalty given their long history of morally reprehensible actions across several programs and the institution itself, i expect they will get something severe but short of death.

this is far from over. and, because these baileristas failed to be even minimally transparent, the sordid details are going to come out over time via the press and the ncaa investigation. they will get to bleed over and over in the coming months.

I think it is a DOJ matter, not NCAA. Again, as I asked in the Penn State thread, which crimes rise to the level of NCAA involvement?
my belief is it is an eligibility issue because those who committed the sexual assault wouldn't have been eligible to play

Honestly CTF, you seem to just want to stir the pot in this thread. Can you really not see the difference or are you just deliberately being a piece of ****?

Honestly CTF, you seem to just want to stir the pot in this thread. Can you really not see the difference or are you just deliberately being a piece of ****?

I hadn't been following CTF's posts. Thought he was making a case that it was completely different from the way Baylor handled its situation along with a different set of circumstances. I was wondering why he felt a need to bring it up.

Deadspin's Diana Moskovitz keeps it real and rips Baylor for its handling of things yesterday and today. Refreshing to see someone in the media who isn't being a spineless press release regurgitator. So many are actually praising Baylor for "doing the right thing".

LINK

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Here is another good one, from Dennis Dodd at CBS stating that Baylor's status as a P5 school will seriously be up in the air at the end of the current B12 TV contract.

Quote:
Forget the current strife. One source told CBS Sports that NCAA enforcement has spent more time on the Baylor campus than any other Big 12 school.

"Really, I don't hear about anybody else [in the Big 12]," the source said.

PS- I can't be the only one who sees Dennis Dodd's name and thinks it's an article written by Deloss Dodds. EVERY. ****ING. TIME.

Can you not see the irony in CU fans all high and mighty about the BU situation? Really?
Baylor accepted transfers with questionable records, kept players on the team who get in trouble and covered up rape and sexual assault by football players. That is a huge difference between what happened at Colorado in the early 2000's. This isn't hard.

Back