What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big noon kickoff in Boulder next week?

This week’s game is 10pm eastern, no?
The 10:00 east coast kickoff is so perfect for me. Let's me do wife **** all day, and then I can settle in for an uninterrupted watch while she sleeps.

Even the 3:30 against Oregon let's me go with her to a farmer's market or some similar craptivity. I just have to make sure that we are out as early as possible. It's really only the nooners that are a challenge.

Will Ferrell Frank The Tank GIF by Ben L

The 10:00 east coast kickoff is so perfect for me. Let's me do wife **** all day, and then I can settle in for an uninterrupted watch while she sleeps.

Even the 3:30 against Oregon let's me go with her to a farmer's market or some similar craptivity. I just have to make sure that we are out as early as possible. It's really only the nooners that are a challenge.

I feel like most of this post belongs in the pillow talk thread

with you!

I'm all about 10AM or 8PM local time kickoffs that leave the bulk of the day open to do something in addition to attending a football game.

with you!

I'm all about 10AM or 8PM local time kickoffs that leave the bulk of the day open to do something in addition to attending a football game.
To be fair, my wife is awesome when it comes to letting me watch sports. It's just hard to take Saturdays off the table, when we are moving to different places for three or four months at a time, so that we can experience what different locales have to offer. I say it is about my wife, but the reality is that there are also a ton of things that I want to do on weekends, outside of watching TV.

Our work (yes, we work for the same company) just officially changed to a four day week, so we have Fridays off now. (y)(y)(y)

Rog. I was just responding to your post where you were talking about issues with these noon kickoffs.
Yeah. It was a significant issue which caused Nub week to have fewer recruits than wanted to be here.

CSU game sux a$$ for me…4am start. Loved the first two with a 6pm beer o’clock start. Getting up hangover in middle of night is a stretch…but have to do it

Absolutely true.

However, the Athletic has a great article about Prime’s manager and how she is guiding Prime’s media presence. I’m sure her firm is looking at how they can leverage and replicate the success they have had with Prime with other athletes turned coaches.

In other words, they now have a blueprint.
I read the article. Her clients like Prime and Snoop are cultural touchstones. That is uncommon among the group of people who want to coach big time college football. The allure of Prime is his place in the zeitgeist.

I read the article. Her clients like Prime and Snoop are cultural touchstones. That is uncommon among the group of people who want to coach big time college football. The allure of Prime is his place in the zeitgeist.
There is a point and counter point inside of another Athletic article. No question that Prime is special, but we live in a copy cat world and the momentum for change is enormous.

To answer the question, it’s possible he has a seismic ripple in that it might open the doors to all sorts of coaching candidates who may have previously never gotten an interview. ADs may go looking for their own “celebrity” coach. A decade from now, there may be fewer curmudgeonly White guys wearing headsets and more coaches who actually look and talk like the players.

But, ADs in general are still extremely risk-averse. None of them want to lose their jobs over a risky hire gone wrong. And, it may very well be there is only one Deion. In which case, maybe there’s only a short-term jolt, then a return to the status quo.

My guess is that we see a lot of second tier or downtrodden programs try to replicate this model, along with an influx of ex NFL players who see coaching as a viable 2nd career.

There is a point and counter point inside of another Athletic article. No question that Prime is special, but we live in a copy cat world and the momentum for change is enormous.

To answer the question, it’s possible he has a seismic ripple in that it might open the doors to all sorts of coaching candidates who may have previously never gotten an interview. ADs may go looking for their own “celebrity” coach. A decade from now, there may be fewer curmudgeonly White guys wearing headsets and more coaches who actually look and talk like the players.

But, ADs in general are still extremely risk-averse. None of them want to lose their jobs over a risky hire gone wrong. And, it may very well be there is only one Deion. In which case, maybe there’s only a short-term jolt, then a return to the status quo.

My guess is that we see a lot of second tier or downtrodden programs try to replicate this model, along with an influx of ex NFL players who see coaching as a viable 2nd career.
To try to replicate the model, you can't just pull any old ex NFL player.

The person would need to be a super star level of player, who has charisma, is dedicated to the job and helping young men, who can not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Who brings in eyeballs and donors as well as recruits by just being him. Oh, and wants to actually spend the time doing this when they don't need to because they already made millions and can instead sit around and relax in their mansion in retirement. Oh, and has been coaching for over a decade at the HS and college level and doing it really well!

While some may try to replicate it, this 'copy' of Prime probably doesnt exist. It's what makes Prime so incredibly special.

The person would need to be a super star level of player, who has charisma, is dedicated to the job and helping young men, who can not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Who brings in eyeballs and donors as well as recruits by just being him. Oh, and wants to actually spend the time doing this when they don't need to because they already made millions and can instead sit around and relax in their mansion in retirement. Oh, and has been coaching for over a decade at the HS and college level and doing it really well!

While some may try to replicate it, this 'copy' of Prime probably doesnt exist. It's what makes Prime so incredibly special.
Another thing HCDS has is credibility and respect with recruits' parents.

I think it's instrumental that he has the panache to win over recruits and simultaneously be the head coach their parents want the kids playing for.

I can't think of anyone who could pull that off like he is.

Coach Prime is unique. This isn't working because he's a famous HOF player. That was tried at other HBCUs and didn't work. It's not working because he's black. It's not working because he's a savant at media manipulation and brand/ exposure building. Mostly, it's working because he's smart as hell, a great football coach who can get kids to embrace the work while attracting great assistants, and has the credibility & authenticity to say the quiet part out loud which has huge appeal in recruiting and gaining media attention. But it's the complete package of all these things and others not mentioned above.

Last edited:
Coach Prime is unique. This isn't working because he's a famous HOF player. That was tried at other HBCUs and didn't work. It's not working because he's black. It's not working because he's black. It's not working because he's a savant at media manipulation and brand/ exposure building. Mostly, it's working because he's smart as hell, a great football coach who can get kids to embrace the work while attracting great assistants, and has the credibility & authenticity to say the quiet part out loud which has huge appeal in recruiting and gaining media attention. But it's the complete package of all these things and others not mentioned above.
Agree, but will add that it’s also working because he has proven to be a very good teacher. That, in itself is unique, as rarely do we see HOF level talent equate to being a good teacher of the craft. Average players can’t come close to duplicating a skill set expected to said HOF player, and these coaches often just spin their wheels. But with Coach Prime, it’s different. He had referred to the many many years of coaching youth football as where he cut his teeth. Oft overlooked at as a negative element of his resume, this is where he got back to his roots and learned how to teach kids how to think and perform in a sport that he loves.

programs can raid the portal and try to turn over their rosters, but that’s not new.

As other have pointed out, there’s no repeatable formula for the singularly exceptional Prime. People will try but it will be a cheap synthetic imitation.

Nah. That commercial had a zoo in it.

Nothing about that fanbase amazes me.

Close. It was bedsheets and tee shirts. Billboards cost too much and there was not enough corn in the state to pay for it with the shucking summer job.

Did you watch the game on TV? They showed the mouth breathers on the broadcast.

Bedsheets. It was an overpass, and they looked just like the people with signs who are on overpasses agitating for Texas to secede every few years. It leaves your face fixed in a way that conveys how stupid you think they are, while you are fighting to maintain RBF.

Another thing HCDS has is credibility and respect with recruits' parents.

I think it's instrumental that he has the panache to win over recruits and simultaneously be the head coach their parents want the kids playing for.

I can't think of anyone who could pull that off like he is.

Coach Prime is unique. This isn't working because he's a famous HOF player. That was tried at other HBCUs and didn't work. It's not working because he's black. It's not working because he's a savant at media manipulation and brand/ exposure building. Mostly, it's working because he's smart as hell, a great football coach who can get kids to embrace the work while attracting great assistants, and has the credibility & authenticity to say the quiet part out loud which has huge appeal in recruiting and gaining media attention. But it's the complete package of all these things and others not mentioned above.

Agree, but will add that it’s also working because he has proven to be a very good teacher. That, in itself is unique, as rarely do we see HOF level talent equate to being a good teacher of the craft. Average players can’t come close to duplicating a skill set expected to said HOF player, and these coaches often just spin their wheels. But with Coach Prime, it’s different. He had referred to the many many years of coaching youth football as where he cut his teeth. Oft overlooked at as a negative element of his resume, this is where he got back to his roots and learned how to teach kids how to think and perform in a sport that he loves.

programs can raid the portal and try to turn over their rosters, but that’s not new.

As other have pointed out, there’s no repeatable formula for the singularly exceptional Prime. People will try but it will be a cheap synthetic imitation.

Peyton Manning is the only person I can think of who could possibly replicate something like this if he truly wanted to. He has the star power, the football acumen, and the rolodex in both business and coaching.
I 100% agree with all of this. My point is that we will see other players and schools try to replicate Prime and the Prime effect.

It will be a tall order for sure.

Changing the game.

One thing we can be certain of with this happening for a home game against a winless G5 team that got destroyed 50-24 on its home field in its opener after they went going 3-9 last year... is that the audience tracker numbers have come in heavily for viewership, attentiveness, etc. whenever Coach Prime / CU stuff is aired.

If I'm being objective, "normal" would be that by far the story of last weekend was #11 Texas going into #3 Alabama and giving Saban his first double digit home loss since he's been there. It is absolutely fvcking gonzo that a #22 Colorado playing an 0-1 Nebraska was a bigger event that has been talked about more nationally.
HOLY ****ING ****

Sportsmediawatch was WAY off on thier prediction.

TCU/CU garnered a 3.8 rating and 7.26 M viewers:

View attachment 64330

For context, only 8 regular season games from all of the 2022 season drew more viewers. Only 3 did so from the 12:00 slot: OSU/Michiga, OSU/Penn State, and Alabama/Texas.
Regarding viewership: Last week is above. This week, the only game that drew more estimated viewers was Texas/Alabama, and it was only ahead by a few 10s of thousands of viewers(!!). CU/NU actually had the highest rating of any game played last week:
1694621198701.png

In 2019, CU/NU had 3.45M viewers for a 2.0 rating, and in 2018 3.4M viewers on a 2.1 rating.

For context, only 1 CU game last year drew more than 1M viewers: CU/TCU, which had an estimated 1.25M viewers (CU/Oregon was close at ~970K). In 2021, CU/UU had 1.5M viewers, CU/UO had 2.75M viewers, and CU/A&M had 4.5M.

Considering that CU was only nationally televised 4 additional times (Minny, AFA, USC in 2022 and ASU in 2021), it's likely that CU has drawn more viewers already in 2023 than in all of 2022, and possible that CU has already drawn more viewers in two weeks of 2023 action than they did both 2022 and 2021- combined.

Regarding viewership: Last week is above. This week, the only game that drew more estimated viewers was Texas/Alabama, and it was only ahead by a few 10s of thousands of viewers(!!). CU/NU actually had the highest rating of any game played last week:
View attachment 64715

In 2019, CU/NU had 3.45M viewers for a 2.0 rating, and in 2018 3.4M viewers on a 2.1 rating.

For context, only 1 CU game last year drew more than 1M viewers: CU/TCU, which had an estimated 1.25M viewers (CU/Oregon was close at ~970K). In 2021, CU/UU had 1.5M viewers, CU/UO had 2.75M viewers, and CU/A&M had 4.5M.

Considering that CU was only nationally televised 4 additional times (Minny, AFA, USC in 2022 and ASU in 2021), it's likely that CU has drawn more viewers already in 2023 than in all of 2022, and possible that CU has already drawn more viewers in two weeks of 2023 action than they did both 2022 and 2021- combined.
Add in the views on the social media channels (WOM got 1.2 views alone for its TCU gameday video), and CU's exposure is through the stratosphere.

Then add in all the ESPN/Fox segments. The other youtube channels discussing CU. It's nuts.

Add in the views on the social media channels (WOM got 1.2 views alone for its TCU gameday video), and CU's exposure is through the stratosphere.

Then add in all the ESPN/Fox segments. The other youtube channels discussing CU. It's nuts.
The other thing that occurs to me is that kids have extremely short memories. We saw it on the downside when CU was pretty much a joke to recruits by ~2008 or so after a decade and a half of prominence.

If exposure anywhere close to this continues, recruits that are freshmen now are going to perceive CU to be a true power in the sport.

The other thing that occurs to me is that kids have extremely short memories. We saw it on the downside when CU was pretty much a joke to recruits by ~2008 or so after a decade and a half of prominence.

If exposure anywhere close to this continues, recruits that are freshmen now are going to perceive CU to be a true power in the sport.
3 straight years of winning football and you are a winner for 75% of that years recruiting class' high school career. That is also nearly 20% of their lives.

I wonder if Allen Iverson would be up to coach football? Word has it is that he was a helluva QB/Safety in HS. Super star power…🤷🏻‍♂️

Marshawn Lynch?

Tom Brady?

Peyton Manning?

Bo Jackson?

I have a feeling the atmosphere for one of big noon or gameday will be flat.
We just had big noon last week, the shows start early in the morning, and the game doesn't start until 8 at night. Hosting one we would probably do fine but having an impressive atmosphere for both shows at the same time given the conditions seems unlikely.
I'm interested to see which show people flock to.
I personally think gameday has fallen off and prefer big noon.

We just had big noon last week, the shows start early in the morning, and the game doesn't start until 8 at night. Hosting one we would probably do fine but having an impressive atmosphere for both shows at the same time given the conditions seems unlikely.
Well. Last week the students were jacked. And did you see the line for tickets today? It is going to being ****ing nuts on campus Saturday morning.

Well. Last week the students were jacked. And did you see the line for tickets today? It is going to being ****ing nuts on campus Saturday morning.
CU Boulder has an undergrad enrollment of 31k these days. Those that were too stoned/hungover to get out of bed to get their sports pass will be split between the two locations now that the buzz has caught on.

Back