What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn Gone (Official Thread on His Departure)

I agree the loosing seasons are unacceptable. However, I saw Bohn try to fire Hawk and get shot down. Then, when he was finally allowed to get rid of Hawk, he had his hand forced into hiring Embree who proved to be one of the worst hires in the history of CFB. When he was finally able to find his guy, he found MacIntyre. Time will tell, but it seems like a pretty reasonable hire.

I agree with all that. But as the Bohn critics have always said, it also paints the picture of a guy who doesn't command respect and will too easily bow to the political winds and be a good little errand boy. Not a visionary and not a leader. I always tried to give Bohn the benefit of the doubt and wanted to see what he could do if he was given an opportunity to spread his wings. It looks to me like they gave him resources and a big plan but he wasn't making progress or gaining allies among boosters.

I was never a Bohn fan...so perhaps this isn't an unbiased assessment here. But let's remember how much has been tied to the fundraising goals. Even Coach Mac's contract let's him walk scot-free if certain timelines and benchmarks aren't reached (and they are aggressive...at least by CU standards). The fact that we have all been anxiously awaiting news concerning such progress on improvements...and haven't gotten it...probably is the Occam's Razor reason a guy like Benson would all of a sudden care about Bohn's personality rubbing him the wrong way. For whatever reason, Bohn just isn't getting the money raised (and let's be honest...this is a tough job at CU. As much as I've not been a fan of Bohn's, one needs to cut him some slack here. You would have to be pretty damn gifted to fund raise well for the CU athletic dept. if history is any guide. Bohn's salary probably reflects his giftedness level in that regard.).

Like many of you though, I have no confidence in Benson and Co. to fill Bohn's position well. I would PREFER some big donor making the decision on a replacement to a guy like Benson doing it. Especially if that donor pledged to pony up a nice chunk of the funding themselves. Of course, this is just speculation. None of us has enough info to go on yet. But, look, Bohn wasn't that great. We could conceivably do better. Obviously, given CU's leadership track record, we could also screw the pooch entirely. But if Bohn wasn't getting the fundraising handled, the dominoes that would potentially fall due to that (Coach Mac leaving a program just starting to transition AGAIN, etc.) were too dire to contemplate.

The smart money (as some of you have already pointed out) was that this was beyond Bohn's ability to handle (either because he has reached his maximum level of competance, or because he's alienated or lost the trust of those who would have to be swayed by Bohn into donating the funds needed). If Benson said to the big money people (assuming they even exist) "Who would you need leading the program to give you the confidence to donate?" and they DID donate after the change was made...I would say the change would be worth it. The slated improvements simply have to happen. It's the next big piece of the foundation needed to move forward.

But, like all of you...I'd love to get some more details. (and God, let's pray to high heaven that this isn't something a whole lot less logical and more CU like! Which, after all, is possible...:bang: )

Outgoing AD Mike Bohn was allowed to negotiate the venue for his own going away party in which all student-athletes will be guests. It will be held at Club 156 in the basement of the UMC building on campus.

Wow, fundraising issues, personality conflicts? Hope benson and phil are next on the cu circus chopping block. Next AD better be a good marketing man and fundraiser. This is not the CU I remember. Strange days indeed.

Wow, fundraising issues, personality conflicts? Hope benson and phil are next on the cu circus chopping block. Next AD. better be a good marketing man and fundraiser. This is not the CU I remember. Strange days indeed.

:yeahthat:

I'm going to play a little devils advocate. MB did do some great things as the AD. Entry into the Pac 12 and all the $$$ and other benefits that came with it. Good hire of Boyle to turn the BB program around. Helped out womens sports at CU, Yes, there are some other notable things he accomplished, but hiring FB coaches and fundraising I guess was not one of them and must have led to his demise. If he was butting heads with DeStiff and Benson, that probably didn't help either. As much as DeStiff and Benson want us to believe that they want to see the FB program turned around, I'm not buying into it. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a gut feeling that the next AD will have a requirement to be a Yes man.

You are correct Buffsyko, Strange days ahead indeed for CU

I am not a Bohn fan. I think I have made that clear over the years. I think he is a yes man and tries to be all things to all people...which doesn't really do much to provide leadership. Of course, the biggest problems are Dr. Phil and BB.

But why in the name of Espresso Roma would you allow MB to hire a new FB HC, a task he has effed up 2x before, and then ****can him what 5 1/2 months later?

I agree, if Ceal "training table violation" Barry is made AD, I am very pessimistic there will be much of a revival of CU FB. Of course, this could just be a rumor, but if it is true I don't know what to say, unless there is some tangible reason to dismiss for cause (i.e. misappropriation of funds, severe PR disaster or rules violation resulting in likely sanction).

As others have observed, only CU could be this dysfunctional....

Ceal Barry = end of football forever. We will never be a major program with her in charge. I'm hoping a group of major donors is forcing the change and they want to bring in a new outsider That would be a sign of hope. If it is ceal then I don't see any good ahead for football

At what point in the last few years did anyone think CU was serious about football.

At what point in the last few years did anyone think CU was serious about football.

But, but, but Dr. Phil said he wanted to have a dynamic new direction, or some such thing. Isn't that Boulder code speak for winning? /sarcasm.

I'm scared ********. If we end up with Ceal Barry, I'll be extremely pissed off.

I wonder if Bohn was starting to grow a spine. Can't possibly let that kind of thing go unchecked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

yup. Say what you will about Bohn but he inherited a pretty ****** situation here and meddling management has always been in the background. We all know there is something not right np behind closed doors at CU and that's not going to change. That said did a pretty decent job. Were not likely to get anyone better. Anyone Football strong. We will not get a super star AD. It will be another up and comer from a school with a 4 letter acronym picked by Benson and DiStefano that will be on a short leash.

It's all about the money. If you assume the AD's revenue(i.e. football revenue, with Conference pay-outs) just covers its costs then over the last 15 years the CU AD has accumulated the following debt:

So called Sex Scandal. $2,850,000
Gary Barnett Buy-Out $3,000,000
Dan Hawkins Buy Out $2,600,000
Big 12 Buyout $6,860,000
2011 No Conference Money $10,000,000

That's $25,000,000 right there. Throw in Embree's buy out, EB's buy-out and now Bohn's buy-out we could be at $30 million in the hole. CU also didn't get a full share of PAC-12 money in 2012 and the CU AD is still paying for the Luxury boxes and CEC Practice facility.

The University gave the AD a big chunk of the Big 12 ransom and has loaned the AD millions to cover the rest. Every decision the AD makes, extending Hawkins, hiring Embree on the cheap, no additional sports, no IPF construction, etc was/is a result of this big deficit.

The CU AD will pour the upcoming PAC-12 money into the University's general fund until the debt is gone. Until then there will be no facilities upgrades unless donors come through.

Bohn got axed because A) He asked Benson for more dough or B) Big Donors wanted him gone.

I've brought this issue up before as well. Tharps stadium expansion really hurt and was the beginning of the financial troubles. Add in the rest of the blunders and you can see a pretty bleak picture.

I agree the loosing seasons are unacceptable. However, I saw Bohn try to fire Hawk and get shot down. Then, when he was finally allowed to get rid of Hawk, he had his hand forced into hiring Embree who proved to be one of the worst hires in the history of CFB. When he was finally able to find his guy, he found MacIntyre. Time will tell, but it seems like a pretty reasonable hire.

It also says that not one of big name status wants to come here. We under pay, we under hire, and we generally screw up the firing part too. It's hard to see how management above the AD isn't interfering. So ask yourself this question; would you come here knowing you'd be wearing a leash?

I've brought this issue up before as well. Tharps stadium expansion really hurt and was the beginning of the financial troubles. Add in the rest of the blunders and you can see a pretty bleak picture.
Tharp may have built it, but Bohn filled it. The club level is not this giant financial hole it's made out to be.

Tharp may have built it, but Bohn filled it. The club level is not this giant financial hole it's made out to be.

Nope. The lawyering from the scandal, the buyouts of multiple coaches (including the lawsuit lost to KMM), the struggles with Folsom revenues during losing seasons, and the loss of a couple years worth of conference revenues from the P12 switch are the big hits to the balance sheet.

The scariest part of all this should be the fact that Benson and DiStephano will be hiring the next AD.
This. I just hope we actually go out spend money and hire someone competent. But this is CU, so I'm sure that won't happen. No offense to Ceal, but she does not seem like the one we need leading our AD.

it was the first woe in a string of financial woes (see below).

Nope. The lawyering from the scandal, the buyouts of multiple coaches (including the lawsuit lost to KMM), the struggles with Folsom revenues during losing seasons, and the loss of a couple years worth of conference revenues from the P12 switch are the big hits to the balance sheet.

A string of woes like that really start to add up. I'm left to wonder if the sequester is pinching federal grants that CU is also highly dependent on on top of the already near last place in state funding.

I doubt money is the reason Benson dismissed Bohn. These are all things both men inherited or were signed off on by Benson himself making him equally as guilty. I'm betting it was a personality issue that finally came to a head.

I would be interstested to hear more about that lawsuit, I remember hearing a little bit about it, but I thought that KMM had little to no case at all.

Bohn Gone

I would be interstested to hear more about that lawsuit, I remember hearing a little bit about it, but I thought that KMM had little to no case at all.

I seem to recall that the school settled before it got to court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The camera is reporting that Mike gets lifetime season tickets for men's and women's hoops and football as part of his "resignation" package. Sounds to me like he isn't intent on leaving Boulder and taking an AD position elsewhere.

There is no love....

2 people like this.

Kristin Valentine Wish I could suck at my job and get paid that much.
Like · Reply · 3 · 37 minutes ago · Edited

Keith Baker I'd do the job twice as well for half as much.
Like · Reply · 38 minutes ago

Mark Godsey See there Keith Baker, your thinking is all wrong. I on the other hand could do the job half as well for twice as much!
Like · Reply · 36 minutes ago

Donnie Ranjel They can't do better, its CU lol
Like · Reply · 1 · 34 minutes ago via mobile

Conversation Starters Being fired from CU. That's where the money is!
Like · Reply · 2 · 32 minutes ago

Freedom Passarelli That is why the tuition is so high. Why are we paying Coaches more than Teachers?
Like · Reply · 28 minutes ago

Don Horner Give up athletics altogether.
Like · Reply · 20 minutes ago via mobile

[tweet]340155573788094465 [/tweet]
[tweet]340155704163848193 [/tweet]
[tweet]340155704163848193 [/tweet]
[tweet]340155929104363520 [/tweet]
[tweet]340155454309150720 [/tweet]
[tweet]340155264554647553 [/tweet]
[tweet]340154594988539905 [/tweet]

Bohn is having his own press conference. Getting a weird vibe.

[tweet]340155121877012483 [/tweet]

Last edited:
[tweet]340155264554647553 [/tweet]

This one scares me. I hope future ADs don't get the message that they need to de-emphasize hoops in order to succeed at CU. There is no reason we can't stay where we are there AND have a good FB program....

Wouldn't you say the perception that CU is a basketball school is a little premature anyway? Nonetheless, I will remember Bohn as the man who orchestrated the resurrection of CU hoops. Unfortunately, I will also remember him as the man that oversaw the collapse of CU football.

Anybody hear a reaction from Coach NewMac about all of this? I wonder if he's having any second thoughts about signing on to this trainwreck.

Anybody hear a reaction from Coach NewMac about all of this? I wonder if he's having any second thoughts about signing on to this trainwreck.

I think he is going to be on with CJ and Kreckmen today at 5:00. Might get an answer then, although he will probably evade the questions.

Back