What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl Games Thread

He's quitting on his team. He could blow an ACL doing his draft drills or tripping over his dog just as easily as getting hurt in the Sun Bowl. No guarantees. Shows greed, not character.
Is that what scouts and GMs are saying?

I don't care what CC or Elliott has to say. Or Herbie.

What does Stanford say? What does his HC say? What do his teammates say? What does the Sun Bowl say?

I'll help ya, They understand and support CMac.

That's what they say. Maybe they mean it. And if this is something that has become ok, I see a problem.

Dude, your defense of CMac is beyond reason. Not sure where your blind loyalty is coming from but it is a lot more than CMac is giving his teammates and the Stanford fans
McCaffrey seems to be the only player in question by the people of AllBuffs so that's who I'm defending. Pretty sure I've mentioned Fournette in this thread as well, but for some reason people think his situation is different and his decision is justified. I'm on the side of the player making whatever decision they think is best for their lives.

He's quitting on his team. He could blow an ACL doing his draft drills or tripping over his dog just as easily as getting hurt in the Sun Bowl. No guarantees. Shows greed, not character.
This seems like a stretch. Yes he can get hurt in drills but the likelihood of that happening is way higher in a game.

It's a problem for you and your fandom of college football.

Yep. I'm not an NFL fan. College becoming more like a business, more like the NFL, is not something I like. I don't have my head in the sand and I'm not a total purist on amateur athletics in the least, but I do still believe in fulfilling your commitments and playing for your team.

I'm also a capitalist and I don't think the "3 years removed from high school" rule is a good one. Guys like Fournette and McCaffrey shouldn't have had to return to college this year. Lamar Jackson should be able to go to the NFL right now if he wants to do so. But those guys do have the option of not playing, signing with an agent, and spending a year working with a trainer. If, instead, they accept a scholarship and membership on the team, they should play when the team has a game for that season and fulfill any other obligations attached to that commitment.

On a similar note, I wouldn't want players committed to CU to skip their high school football playoffs or not participate in a post-season All American game or not play basketball or another sport for their high school.

Yep. I'm not an NFL fan. College becoming more like a business, more like the NFL, is not something I like. I don't have my head in the sand and I'm not a total purist on amateur athletics in the least, but I do still believe in fulfilling your commitments and playing for your team.

I'm also a capitalist and I don't think the "3 years removed from high school" rule is a good one. Guys like Fournette and McCaffrey shouldn't have had to return to college this year. Lamar Jackson should be able to go to the NFL right now if he wants to do so. But those guys do have the option of not playing, signing with an agent, and spending a year working with a trainer. If, instead, they accept a scholarship and membership on the team, they should play when the team has a game for that season and fulfill any other obligations attached to that commitment.

Exactly - as long as they are using the NCAA as a cost free way of getting elite training, coaching, nutrition, etc. when they would otherwise be trying to somehow stay in shape and get bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled on their own for 3 years, they should be beholden to the school to play all scheduled games.

BTW - I don't see any incongruence between the notion that the NCAA makes obscene amounts of money off of these kids and that the kids should be paid and the notion that the kids should be beholden to schools they play for.

It's a symbiotic relationship, and for 99.999% of players, even the vast majority of kids that end up becoming pros, they need college football just as much as college football needs them. These kids leave high school light years away from where they need to be to compete on the pro level. College football provides a free process in which these kids get to be able to build their bodies to level it needs to be, while improving their mental grasp of the game - it's invaluable, and it shouldn't be discounted.

That's what they say. Maybe they mean it. And if this is something that has become ok, I see a problem.
The bigger problem is that we have created two postseasons: 1) games that matter; and, 2) games that don't.

Far beyond CMac and LSU7, this is a big issue for CFB.

Any Rd 1 or 2 RB should always go pro after 3 and never play in a lower bowl game. The financial risks are just too great.

On a similar note, I wouldn't want players committed to CU to skip their high school football playoffs or not participate in a post-season All American game or not play basketball or another sport for their high school.
Me either. But millions are not at stake.

Every player that goes big time D1 has a dream of being a star and making it to the NFL. You guys can disagree with it, but calling these guys bad teammates, "not a warrior", questionable character, selfish, etc is such a basic fan thing to say. If they were your kid, you would be telling them to do the same thing, 100%.
Uhh no I would not. I get what you are saying but I don't agree with it at all.

Exactly - as long as they are using the NCAA as a cost free way of getting elite training, coaching, nutrition, etc. when they would otherwise be trying to somehow stay in shape and get bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled on their own for 3 years, they should be beholden to the school to play all scheduled games.
Beholden? Slaves.

I do not really care either way what a NFL GM thinks.

I actually mostly support the players here, just find it funny some are offended by the "quitting on their team" argument. What else would you call it?
You don't call it anything other than what it is. Dude I wouldn't wanna play next to.

It's weird, made me think of something. My dad always told me, always see it through with what you do, don't quit or you always will with anything after. He was on the money with that.

BTW - I don't see any incongruence between the notion that the NCAA makes obscene amounts of money off of these kids and that the kids should be paid and the notion that the kids should be beholden to schools they play for.

It's a symbiotic relationship, and for 99.999% of players, even the vast majority of kids that end up becoming pros, they need college football just as much as college football needs them. These kids leave high school light years away from where they need to be to compete on the pro level. College football provides a free process in which these kids get to be able to build their bodies to level it needs to be, while improving their mental grasp of the game - it's invaluable, and it shouldn't be discounted.

If college wasn't such a good deal there would be an alternative.

I am actually surprised that one or more of the big sports agencies hasn't already set up a training academy where the top third year guys can go for training and nutrition without the risk of physical contact and without having to deal with pesky details like staying academically eligible.

They probably haven't because the small number of players who are good enough that it would be to their advantage. The system does in fact favor the huge number of players who aren't elite. Those are the same players who make the system work, without them them the elites would not have their opportunity to develop into stars.

He is a potential late-first or early-second round draft pick, and is looking to up his stock and stay uninjured, so he made the right decision for him. His teammates understand, and no one is calling him out. Some may have private thoughts.

He is a potential late-first or early-second round draft pick, and is looking to up his stock and stay uninjured, so he made the right decision for him. His teammates understand, and no one is calling him out. Some may have private thoughts.
Get that but it's a bitch move imho.

There is something I didn't mention about this. No matter if their teammates show support in public or with news, whatever. I pretty much guarantee they have a different opinion outside of that.

Get that but it's a bitch move imho.

I can see how people think that, and was a bit surprised with this headline. Insiders at the Farm might be privately seething, but still understand and they will maintain Radio Silence. At that level, it's an individual business and no one is going to give you 7 figures if you bang up your knee in some dumb bowl game and can't physically do all the sh*t you need to do in the combine in a few months.

Back