What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breaking: D.J. Eliot officially hired as D.C.

It amuses me that Leavitt lost his job at USF mostly for insubordination and his relationship with his bosses, but we have a number of CU fans who automatically assume that a strained relationship between HCMM and JL is the fault of MacIntyre.
Mac being emotional to the point of crying in pregame, his "show em your dream" stuff, not cussing, and "touchy feely" approach to handling players is a far cry to Leavitt's style. There's nothing wrong with the way Mac rolls, it's just different than the stereotypical football coach and I can see some coaches rolling their eyes and getting tired of it. Regardless, his players seem to be fine with it, they seem to really like and respect him, most parents love him, and he just won 10 games... So he can do whatever he wants in regard to dealing with his team.

Mac being emotional to the point of crying in pregame, his "show em your dream" stuff, not cussing, and "touchy feely" approach to handling players is a far cry to Leavitt's style. There's nothing wrong with the way Mac rolls, it's just different than the stereotypical football coach and I can see some coaches rolling their eyes and getting tired of it. Regardless, his players seem to be fine with it, they seem to really like and respect him, most parents love him, and he just won 10 games... So he can do whatever he wants in regard to dealing with his team.

MM gives out the tough love to both players, coaches, and referees when he has to.

Everybody is different. Personally, I like a coach that would chew me out for everything. In my mind I'd be like, we'll see mother****er. Some players respond different.

That stuff was not what the issue was, as I understand it. More like, MM wanted team input and meetings on game planning, didn't want a defensive coach trying to insert himself into an offensive huddle, didn't like one of his coaches costing us penalties by refusing to listen to the refs & the "get back" coach, didn't like someone not backing up his talk with actual work on the recruiting trail, didn't like the self-promotion to fans/media/players, etc. Hired gun who did a great job as a coordinator and coach, but it had a shelf life. The personality thing was a clash only in terms of JL not fitting the culture and not trying to. He has his own way and, really, his resume says that he should have his own program where he can set his own culture. But that was taken away from him and it wasn't going to happen here with a coordinator trying to take charge of that. "Know your role and star in it" was something JL chafed at.

Last edited:
MM gives out the tough love to both players, coaches, and referees when he has to.
Yeah, there is definitely evidence to show he can get fired up. When hearing that he and Leavitt didn't get along, I can't possibly imagine it had much to do with the X's and O's or defensive philosophy. That's why I assume it has to do with the Mac's general personality traits that I touched on.

We don't really replace Oregon with Washington though, we replace Oregon and Stanford with Washington and California and we also drop Michigan.

Uh, yeah. I was pretty clearly adding the part Sackman left out, hence me quoting his post. HTH.

Whatever the reason for their personal conflict - it worked when it came to winning football games. Maybe the house of cards they had kept together was about to come crashing down, but I would expect winning to trump style, demeanor, or likeability. It's OK and even productive for there to be some tension within an organization.

I'm sure Mac is all about winning so I'm not really concerned, but ask Jed York about how successful it was to eliminate tension at the expense of winning.

Maybe the house of cards they had kept together was about to come crashing down, but I would expect winning to trump style, demeanor, or likeability. It's OK and even productive for there to be some tension within an organization.
#triggered.

About what I expected. Would have been shocked if it was ~900k. Falls in line with the thought that we weren't going to pay enough for a Diaco type.

Who were we competing against to give him that? Guy was making $600k and got demoted. Just don't see why they felt the need for the pay increase as it seems to me we're doing him a favor. Guess we'll have to trust Mac on this one.

That stuff was not what the issue was, as I understand it. More like, MM wanted team input and meetings on game planning, didn't want a defensive coach trying to insert himself into an offensive huddle, didn't like one of his coaches costing us penalties by refusing to listen to the refs & the "get back" coach, didn't like someone not backing up his talk with actual work on the recruiting trail, didn't like the self-promotion to fans/media/players, etc. Hired gun who did a great job as a coordinator and coach, but it had a shelf life. The personality thing was a clash only in terms of JL not fitting the culture and not trying to. He has his own way and, really, his resume says that he should have his own program where he can set his own culture. But that was taken away from him and it wasn't going to happen here with a coordinator trying to take charge of that. "Know your role and star in it" was something JL chafed at.

Thanks for this perspective, it is interesting.
I'm a huge MM fan, but this seems a little petty. I've run lots of different size organizations, and sometimes you have to (and want to) manage people who are, and know they are, stars. They'll supernova out if they think of themselves as burning so much brighter than everyone else, and it is work to keep them and the rest of the organization aligned, but if it is productive then it is also on you the manager to make it work.

I guess to be fair, JL left he wasn't fired, so from that perspective MM could indeed have been intending to make it work.

Thanks for this perspective, it is interesting.
I'm a huge MM fan, but this seems a little petty. I've run lots of different size organizations, and sometimes you have to (and want to) manage people who are, and know they are, stars. They'll supernova out if they think of themselves as burning so much brighter than everyone else, and it is work to keep them and the rest of the organization aligned, but if it is productive then it is also on you the manager to make it work.

I guess to be fair, JL left he wasn't fired, so from that perspective MM could indeed have been intending to make it work.

I think that is the perspective. And it is difficult to manage someone who doesn't want to be managed. There's a shelf life to it before either he moves on or problems develop within your organization. Having a star salesperson who is out in the field and you only have to see once a year at the company meeting is different than a director or vp who is in your project meetings at the home office with everyone else every day, too, in terms of being able to manage this type of situation. Some jobs don't allow the person doing it to be on an island no matter how good they are at their thing.

Back