What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breaking: D.J. Eliot officially hired as D.C.

Confusing how some people seem to have loved Sirmon, but not Eliot. I can see not liking either or liking both, but they seem to be very similar. Young coaches who are proven recruiters just getting their feet wet as DCs

Yep. And it's pretty clear that the defense is going to have Mac's fingerprints all over it. More new guys to come as well.

So he received the three year contract.

Yep. Fingers crossed that the state legislature comes through and we'll be able to remove this as an issue. Be nice to have everyone on a multi-year deal.

deleted post from banned user

Yeah, well, I've got a question for you.

1cQQDBX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought.

Did you have to hand out the multi year contract for this guy, or could you have pocketed it for future maneuvers?

Another thought.

Did you have to hand out the multi year contract for this guy, or could you have pocketed it for future maneuvers?

Yes, you absolutely have to.

And the fact this question has even come up illustrates how ****ed up this lack of multi-year contracts is.

It's a joke that we're asking any coach to move his family and take a job here without being able to offer a multi-year contract. The idea that we would even entertain saying to a coordinator: "We would love to have you at Colorado and are excited to offer you a one-year contract at a middling salary."... this is such a ridiculous situation for a D1 program to be in.

This has hurt us in HC searches. This hurts us in AC searches. This hurts us with retention (both with people leaving & HCs being overly loyal to those already here). I swear, if the state legislature fixes this I think it's close to as big of a win for RG's leadership as it was to get the facilities built.

Last edited:
Yes, you absolutely have to.

And the fact this question has even come up illustrates how ****ed up this lack of multi-year contracts is.

It's a joke that we're asking any coach to move his family and take a job here without being able to offer a multi-year contract. The idea that we would even entertain saying to a coordinator: "We would love to have you at Colorado and are excited to offer you a one-year contract at a middling salary."... this is such a ridiculous situation for a D1 program to be in.

This has hurt us in HC searches. This hurts us in AC searches. This hurts us with retention (both with people leaving & HCs being overly loyal to those already here). I swear, if the state legislature fixes this I think it's close to as big of a win for RG's leadership as it was to get the facilities built.
And we wonder why we lost food cart to UT, the MSU DC to Louisville, our first two DC choices last time around, etc.

And we wonder why we lost food cart to UT, the MSU DC to Louisville, our first two DC choices last time around, etc.

Yep. Even if someone is offered one of the multi-year contracts, he's still going to be thinking about the overall situation at a place. How CU manages coaching staffs is a competitive disadvantage that makes the job less desirable for everyone offered to come here regardless of his specific contract offer.

FWIW, another thing coaching candidates look at is having a higher than NCAA Clearinghouse standard for admittance and not being willing to play games on academics with "athlete paths" or declaring half the recruits to have a learning disability in order to get them in and treat them differently than other students. This kind of thing is why Urban has never been willing to accept his dream job at Notre Dame. That's not something that's going to change at CU and I don't think it should change because the mission of the university is what it is. But when you put together the academic stuff with the coach contracts and not being located in a recruiting hotbed, we've got some things to overcome. Having top notch facilities was a big improvement to this situation. Having a 10-win season helped as did having a Top 30 recruiting class lined up, but it's one year. Repeat success and it becomes a fact in coaches' minds instead of a "blip" or "trend".

What we're in the process of overcoming is a perception that it's harder to win at Colorado and you get less money and job security for being willing to take that career risk. This is the reality. RG has done and continues to do an amazing job of changing that reality. HCMM continuing to win will also change that reality.

this guy is clearly nothing special and we should have promoted someone already on staff. problem is, that isn't "big time" enough for many people. keep in mind too, MM was not a good gameday coach the 1st few years - assistants helped him last year.

this guy is clearly nothing special and we should have promoted someone already on staff. problem is, that isn't "big time" enough for many people. keep in mind too, MM was not a good gameday coach the 1st few years - assistants helped him last year.

Huh? Who should have been promoted?

Promote Jeffcoat? Cuz thats all thats left....

I've got a question about Leavitt as it relates to Eliot. Was Leavitt a tactician or more of a motivator? What is Eliot's strength as a DC? Finally, what do we need going forward. Especially as our talent improves?

I've got a question about Leavitt as it relates to Eliot. Was Leavitt a tactician or more of a motivator? What is Eliot's strength as a DC? Finally, what do we need going forward. Especially as our talent improves?

Leavitt was great as a tactician, play caller and motivator.

Reports on Eliot suggest that his strengths are as a tactician and motivator, but that he's never really had control of play calling.

Both have their strength in terms of concepts/schemes with how to use the front 7, which balances well with MacIntyre's strength being in the secondary.

What do we need going forward?

My thought is that we need better recruiters on the defensive staff to keep raising the talent and we need to find out whether Eliot is a game plan & booth observation guy or whether he has the knack as a play caller. And if he's not going to be on the sideline, we absolutely need one of the defensive coaches we hire to be the type who is chest bumping players -- if Eliot's in the booth, he won't be able to bring in-game motivation like Leavitt did.

Reactions: DBT
i thought one of levitts big strenghs was his gyrating on the sidelines firing the d up on huge plays basically eating glass.....we lose big if new dc is sitting up in press box ala baer

we were headed for a likely drop off in defensive performance next year, even if the traitor hadn't left to join the nike slavers. so, it is going to be hard, i think, to judge this hire on an apples to apples basis next season. i feel like we've got some guys that have the potential to be good.

if montez can play more consistently like he did in his first start, our offense could be a force so that might help take some pressure of a younger defense.

the schedule is also much harder next year so, again, apples to apples comparisons will be tough.

like everyone, i am going to hope for the best. keep recruiting well, and we can smooth out the types of ripples that we are going to be worried about next year with all the defensive changes.

we were headed for a likely drop off in defensive performance next year, even if the traitor hadn't left to join the nike slavers. so, it is going to be hard, i think, to judge this hire on an apples to apples basis next season. i feel like we've got some guys that have the potential to be good.

if montez can play more consistently like he did in his first start, our offense could be a force so that might help take some pressure of a younger defense.

the schedule is also much harder next year so, again, apples to apples comparisons will be tough.

like everyone, i am going to hope for the best. keep recruiting well, and we can smooth out the types of ripples that we are going to be worried about next year with all the defensive changes.
Not sure our schedule is much harder next year. We add UW and Cal to the schedule, but drop Oregon, Stanford and Michigan. We also get UW and SC at home and have a much easier road slate. I'd say next year's schedule is almost substantially more favorable, looking at it right now.

I'd think a very good start would be important confidence wise. Gonna have a lot of new guys out there. Hit the ground running.

I would argue schedule is clearly more favorable next season.

Back