What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bright spots for 2018: Are there any?

seattlebuff

I'm assuming - like I have since the UNC game - that we finish 4-8. And even that record looks better than this team actually is.

So I don't ask this facetiously. I genuinely want to know what to be optimistic about for next year. Is there anything (besides maybe DBs)? I don't follow recruiting as closely as many of you. Help me out. I want to feel like we're not staring at the abyss again.

WHat is happening to this team? they saw what worked last year. They listened to the coaches and the seniors that were a part of the team last year, they did all the right things in practice. I'm legitimately confused as to how/why there is such a huge step back?? I know some players went to the NFL and some coaches left, but this team looks like they have never played football before??? WTF???

9 defensive starters left as seniors.
That’s a big issue.

The rest is way too wide spread to place the blame on any individual.

It’s a ship without a rudder.

I think Haigler and Miller will be two good tackles from 2018 and on. I think Haigler was the RT today and didn't seem to be a weak spot, so that's an improvement.
Some of the younger LBs (Callier, Sparaco) seemed to get more pressure on the QB than the older guys, so they probably just need to put on some weight to be full time players. Had to go back to the CSU game to remember about Sparaco though.

I think that's about it for me.

Well remember, it took a few years for last year's relatively strong leadership (Sefo, olugbode, Witherspoon et al) to come into their own. I remember being as frustrated with Sefo as I am with Montez. Our defense didn't come together either really until last year if I remember correctly. If we can have a "last-year-like" season every few years (or every other, ideally) where we're competitive for the PAC-12 south, conference championships, bowl games, our recruiting will improve significantly, but it takes seeing the forest through the trees.

We gotta accept this is a rebuilding year (which a lot of teams, even good ones have) and look big picture. I think some of us are just sick of losing when we feel like wins are achievable, but we'll get them when we earn them. Keep the faith, try to enjoy the ride and a part of us should be proud of them when they play a game that's fun to watch.

Nothing sucks worse than a game thats nearly wholly dependent on one position. And that guy then has a bad day.

Sefo was leader and a gritty one with 4 years of starting experience. Montez is going to take some time. Add in all the other starters we lost from what was a senior laden team last year. Plus some coaching changes.

Well remember, it took a few years for last year's relatively strong leadership (Sefo, olugbode, Witherspoon et al) to come into their own. I remember being as frustrated with Sefo as I am with Montez. Our defense didn't come together either really until last year if I remember correctly. If we can have a "last-year-like" season every few years (or every other, ideally) where we're competitive for the PAC-12 south, conference championships, bowl games, our recruiting will improve significantly, but it takes seeing the forest through the trees.

We gotta accept this is a rebuilding year (which a lot of teams, even good ones have) and look big picture. I think some of us are just sick of losing when we feel like wins are achievable, but we'll get them when we earn them. Keep the faith, try to enjoy the ride and a part of us should be proud of them when they play a game that's fun to watch.

I’ve been a supporter of the staff for a long time and I understand that teams are going to have bad years but I cannot excuse bad football. This only time this team has played good football was the first half vs CSU. Other than that our execution, concentration, attention to detail, and intensity have been awful. Every area of this team has been inconsistent to say the least. This has been a joke of a season.
I really don’t mind losing but I cannot excuse beating yourself and this team has consistently done just that.
I am disappointed in this entire staff, not just Elliott. This #blackoutboys and #moneygang crap actually had these guys believing that hype was more important than substance and that is the wrong way to teach how to win. I think it is time for serious evaluation of everything we are doing.

I’ve been a supporter of the staff for a long time and I understand that teams are going to have bad years but I cannot excuse bad football. This only time this team has played good football was the first half vs CSU. Other than that our execution, concentration, attention to detail, and intensity have been awful. Every area of this team has been inconsistent to say the least. This has been a joke of a season.
I really don’t mind losing but I cannot excuse beating yourself and this team has consistently done just that.
I am disappointed in this entire staff, not just Elliott. This #blackoutboys and #moneygang crap actually had these guys believing that hype was more important than substance and that is the wrong way to teach how to win. I think it is time for serious evaluation of everything we are doing.
Bingo!!!! The overt self indulgence was a bad omen....and clearly bad practice. MM has lost this team.

You dont teach players to win.

You select players for a certain position based on ability and potential. Often they arrive scrawny with a missing or undeveloped skill set and bad tendencies. Hopefully they have immeasurables like intelligence, heart, desire, and are coachable. All new players lack experience and rarely recognize whats happening in front of them and either react too slow or not at all. You coach them up when they make mistakes. The more inexperienced players you have the more work you have to do on a larger group. Things get missed. Practicing against yourself can give a false sense of need because your weakest links may not be exposed.

Winning is the product of sorting all that out. Part coach, part player.

Last edited:
i knew we would take a step back this year but to regress all the way back to 2012-13 is redic....on top of dumpster fire play by the team we have play calling which is so redundant its redic and just poor coaching in general.....then to top it all off we have a head coach who’s antics were just plain childish.....meanwhile after spending millions on facilities and stadium improvements our recruiting has gone downhill as well

When you were wondering about the same question 2015, did anyone tell you our bright spot in 2016 is the South division champion?

You are looking for nothing. No one knows how those RS freshmen will perform next year.

When you were wondering about the same question 2015, did anyone tell you our bright spot in 2016 is the South division champion?

You are looking for nothing. No one knows how those RS freshmen will perform next year.
That's exactly why I'm asking ... which of those RS frosh do we like the most? What unit do we think will be improved? What are the potential bright spots? It seems like we have some (unproven) talent ready to step in at WR. We know the cupboard is empty at RB. I assume Montez holds the job and improves ... although Noyer showed some flashes. CBs look pretty good. DL and LBs can't get much worse.

I wonder aloud how teams can possibly win unless they have most of their players as 5th year seniors?

Making lemonade:

MacIntyre has a reputation as a turn-around artist. He renovates downtrodden football programs and restores them to some degree of respectability. He is the Chip & Joanna Gains of college football.

Now that The Rise has fallen squarely in its face, MacIntyre can return to his nitting and go about the business of renovating a football program again.

There is a football program in Boulder that is in serious need of a renovation. MacIntyre has a brand new contract extension in Boulder. He’s got experience turning around CU, too.

Lose big, lose small, win small, win big, win small, lose small, lose big.

Rinse and repeat.

I wonder how many transfers will happen if the team chemistry is as bad as it appears. And I’m not talking players buried on the depth chart. I’m worried about some of the young talent starting to think they made a poor choice.

Making lemonade:

MacIntyre has a reputation as a turn-around artist. He renovates downtrodden football programs and restores them to some degree of respectability. He is the Chip & Joanna Gains of college football.

Now that The Rise has fallen squarely in its face, MacIntyre can return to his nitting and go about the business of renovating a football program again.

There is a football program in Boulder that is in serious need of a renovation. MacIntyre has a brand new contract extension in Boulder. He’s got experience turning around CU, too.

Lose big, lose small, win small, win big, win small, lose small, lose big.

Rinse and repeat.

Mentioned in a different thread...HCMM has a blueprint in the form of Brian Kelly. Bottom line....complete overhaul of coaching staff.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-changes

Reactions: wip
Nothing sucks worse than a game thats nearly wholly dependent on one position. And that guy then has a bad day.

Sefo was leader and a gritty one with 4 years of starting experience. Montez is going to take some time. Add in all the other starters we lost from what was a senior laden team last year. Plus some coaching changes.

And don't forget many here (most) were hoping for us to be starting somebody other than Sefo last year. We had already penciled in the transfer who was going to give us the turn around season.

In prior years we had seen to many games in which Sefo got rattled by the pressure and threw a pick six or missed a read and we went 3 and out (again.)

Montez had a bad night, he has in fact had a bad string of games but he is still a talented guy with an NFL type arm and surprising mobility for a kid his size.

My hope for next year is a healthy Miller at LT, a healthy Lynott back at LG, and for three of the young guys to step up and let us have an offensive line that doesn't put the QB into escape mode the moment he gets the snap or leave the RB looking for room to run before he gets to the LOS.

Back