What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Bring Mac Back" Campaign- Any Students Here On Allbuffs Want To Spread The Word

I dont know about this, I guess I can see some of it holding water. Can you even talk to coaches at other schools who are under contract without that schools permission? I dont know im just asking.

I dont know about this, I guess I can see some of it holding water. Can you even talk to coaches at other schools who are under contract without that schools permission? I dont know im just asking.

You can. Remember Bzdelik's talks with Wake Forest?

Generally, though, direct contact doesn't happen because it is bad form. Most likely, Bohn would have an intermediary such as Neinas speak with a coach's agent. That way, they can feel each other out while both having complete deniability that they have spoken.

You can. Remember Bzdelik's talks with Wake Forest?

Generally, though, direct contact doesn't happen because it is bad form. Most likely, Bohn would have an intermediary such as Neinas speak with a coach's agent. That way, they can feel each other out while both having complete deniability that they have spoken.
I dont know why I didnt think of Biz. I got my head up my ass with work, my son's pt conference tonight, and why the **** Juicebox is still here lol go figure. We need a new poll, when will D2 Danny get fired lol.

if both calhoun and macelwain want the job and the administration picks mccartney, i will be so pissed off. mccartney would be great as an interim coach until the end of the year but he is definitely not the future. i would be happy with either calhoun or macelwain. i never really thought of macelwain before, but now i'd rather have him than calhoun. love his offense.

at the same time, this "scoop" sounds a little too perfect. suddenly our president who thinks athletics don't matter is going to increase the AD budget, after deciding that we were too cheap to fire one of the lowest paid bcs coaches in the league last year? i will be a little less skeptical after the athletic department announces the $50 million donation has come through

Last edited:
Here's what I don't understand: If Hawk's termination is already a done deal and the Pres, Chancellor and AD have already had the conversation with Hawk, what's the point of an organized chant for Mac. I don't think it's going to persuade Bohn to pick Mac over McElwain, but one thing it will certainly do is put Mac in an uncomfortable position of being out on the field, in front of the team, coaches and families.

Count me in the group that thinks this is a bad idea. Don't put Mac in the position of being a bad guy.

+1

Why would we tell Hawk he's going to get fired at the end of the year if we're not going to do it now? Just doesn't make sense. Probably made up.

this too. if bohn actually did this, he is even more stupid than i thought when it came to handling coaches (say what you will about his fundraising, his handling of coaches has been borderline retarded).

if this really happened, hawkins will probably give out all the scholarships to a bunch of no talent scrubs to spite us. and we'll have to honor them or get roasted by espn for refusing.

this too. if bohn actually did this, he is even more stupid than i thought when it came to handling coaches (say what you will about his fundraising, his handling of coaches has been borderline retarded).

if this really happened, hawkins will probably give out all the scholarships to a bunch of no talent scrubs to spite us. and we'll have to honor them or get roasted by espn for refusing.

And Hawkins would never coach again at any University, any where.

This is all a two way street. Colorado has to save face, as does Dan Hawkins. Both parties want to move on to bigger and better things.

Plus -- it is not at all uncommon for a new head coach to take away scholarship offers that were there from the previous coach.

And Hawkins would never coach again at any University, any where.

This is all a two way street. Colorado has to save face, as does Dan Hawkins. Both parties want to move on to bigger and better things.

Plus -- it is not at all uncommon for a new head coach to take away scholarship offers that were there from the previous coach.

i don't think hawkins CAN save face. i don't see him coaching anywhere after cu fires him. even wac level schools would be stupid to take him. it's obvious his only success at boise state was due to what koetter built and getting lucky as hell by hiring peterson

Can't wait to see how our recruiting class turns out if Hawk's already been told he's out. He'll just offer the entire senior class at Boulder HS and call it a day. This "scoop" is at least partly bogus - chanting Mac's name will help get him hired...seriously?? That's what the Admin wants to see, the most uncomfortable moment possible? If our top 3 choices are Mac, Calhoun, and McElwain, I'm not sure Mac is on the top of my list to be honest. I'm not chanting.

A friend of mine is starting his own screen printing biz....so I can get these made...and I'm being careful to protect my designs now...but what do you think of this? would it sell? would you buy it?

BMBT-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to get into the "Bring Back Mac" thing because I'm afraid that fan and donor nostalgia will influence the next hire too much and could end up ****ing us. I'm fine with Mac coming back if he is truly our best option, but I don't think he is. I think we should be looking more closely at Calhoun and McElwain. I'm a fan of McElwain, personally. I just hope the fans and donors don't get too much in the way of allowing a full coaching search. I'm not convinced that Mac can bring us back to where we were, and if he was hired and didn't, well **** now our only coaching Legend at CU has muddled his reputation. People are too hyped up for it and I don't think it should be our "best" option before we have even fired our current coach.

I don't want to get into the "Bring Back Mac" thing because I'm afraid that fan and donor nostalgia will influence the next hire too much and could end up ****ing us. I'm fine with Mac coming back if he is truly our best option, but I don't think he is. I think we should be looking more closely at Calhoun and McElwain. I'm a fan of McElwain, personally. I just hope the fans and donors don't get too much in the way of allowing a full coaching search. I'm not convinced that Mac can bring us back to where we were, and if he was hired and didn't, well **** now our only coaching Legend at CU has muddled his reputation. People are too hyped up for it and I don't think it should be our "best" option before we have even fired our current coach.

Agreed.

Here's what I don't understand: If Hawk's termination is already a done deal and the Pres, Chancellor and AD have already had the conversation with Hawk, what's the point of an organized chant for Mac. I don't think it's going to persuade Bohn to pick Mac over McElwain, but one thing it will certainly do is put Mac in an uncomfortable position of being out on the field, in front of the team, coaches and families.

Count me in the group that thinks this is a bad idea. Don't put Mac in the position of being a bad guy.

A friend of mine is starting his own screen printing biz....so I can get these made...and I'm being careful to protect my designs now...but what do you think of this? would it sell? would you buy it?

BMBT-1.jpg

I would not, and I'll even go a step further by saying I hope your friend does not print these and reiterating what I posted above: I think it's a bad idea to put Mac in the position of being the bad guy.

I would not, and I'll even go a step further by saying I hope your friend does not print these and reiterating what I posted above: I think it's a bad idea to put Mac in the position of being the bad guy.

my friend isn't even a football fan so he wouldn't print them unless i buy the shirts and give him the design. i'm not on the bring mac back bandwagon...but if there is such a bandwagon, i'm gonna try and make some money. capitalism buddy. if there is a market for it, there should be a product

BMBT-1.jpg

I would and many fans out there would too.
I can see why people might be against Mac but at the same time CU football needs an overhaul & I truely believe that Mac would bring integrity, passion and winning back to Boulder.

How about if CU really does the things the right way. I don't believe anything in AZ's information...Calhoun would not be lining up assistants for a job he does not have nor would the other 2.

I love coach Mac but I am not in favor of hiring him. Lets bring in some young guys to re-energize the situation.

How about if CU really does the things the right way. I don't believe anything in AZ's information...Calhoun would not be lining up assistants for a job he does not have nor would the other 2.

I love coach Mac but I am not in favor of hiring him. Lets bring in some young guys to re-energize the situation.

I still think Mac would come w/either Embree or Bienemy. Mac would probably coach between 4-6 yrs and then
Embree or EB would be in charge. Those guys are young and energizing IMHO.

Such as?

How is this putting Mac in a awkward situation, he won big at Colorado, I think of it if I was in his shoes, I would be honored, and leave it at that. The only awkward person would be Hawk, knowing how he stands with everyone. If Colorado football wasnt in such a disasterious state, I dont think anyone would feel awkward, this is a guy who retired, its not like we are saying bring Barnett back.

This is a f**king joke - BnG is totally right, how about CU does the right thing for a change. Hiring a coach based on nostalgia and an applause-o-meter during a home game is plain stupid and I hope the admin does right by the school, it's fans, and alumni even if it means not bowing to the demands of the powder blue crowd. CU needs to perform a legitimate coaching search, they owe the fans this much after the last 5 years.

The most disappointing thing in this thread (if you believe it) is the notion that Bohn and Co. may let Hawk finish the season when it is so clear after the second game of the season that he's done. I found this in Ringo's blog from last year where he talks about Bohn and the decision made about Ricardo Patton, a situation very similar to the one Hawk is in right now:

"What were they saying when they allowed former men’s basketball coach Ricardo Patton to enter the final season of his contract without an offer for extension?

We support the coach but we’re just not ready to offer an extension. Coach Patton ultimately announced his resignation and Bohn will tell you now that one of the decisions he wishes he had back was allowing Patton to continue as a lame duck for an entire season.

The point is, this situation is really no different."

I hope Bohn is thinking about this right now. I really hope he doesn't succumb to the financial arguments but sees that it will cost us much more in the long run if he doesn't immediately act and stop the bleeding Hawk has created. This program cannot wait until the end of the season. Hawk needs to go now. Please Mike, don't do what you think is right, do what you know is right.

Ringo's blog 4 November 09

The most disappointing thing in this thread (if you believe it) is the notion that Bohn and Co. may let Hawk finish the season when it is so clear after the second game of the season that he's done. I found this in Ringo's blog from last year where he talks about Bohn and the decision made about Ricardo Patton, a situation very similar to the one Hawk is in right now:

"What were they saying when they allowed former men’s basketball coach Ricardo Patton to enter the final season of his contract without an offer for extension?

We support the coach but we’re just not ready to offer an extension. Coach Patton ultimately announced his resignation and Bohn will tell you now that one of the decisions he wishes he had back was allowing Patton to continue as a lame duck for an entire season.

The point is, this situation is really no different."

I hope Bohn is thinking about this right now. I really hope he doesn't succumb to the financial arguments but sees that it will cost us much more in the long run if he doesn't immediately act and stop the bleeding Hawk has created. This program cannot wait until the end of the season. Hawk needs to go now. Please Mike, don't do what you think is right, do what you know is right.

Ringo's blog 4 November 09

Excellent point ! REP

You guys are crazy to think that this isnt Mac's job already. If he wants the job its his, the donor pressure would be too much for Bohn to ignore.

Money talks and this program needs money more than the right coach.

Couldn't disagree more. The right coach will bring in the money. I like Mac, and wouldn't necessarily have a problem with his return, but if Calhoun or McElwain is a better option, we need to go in that direction. Choose the guy who will do the best job of winning games, not the one who will bring in the most money in the short term.

@RMILLER73 earlier today....

Mac is like a goddamn Jedi, just talking to the guy changes your life. I dont know if it is in their archives, but go try to find the show when Afred had Westbrook on talking about Mac going into the hood by himself. Cool stuff.

Back