What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: “It’s a game changer”: CU AD Rick George thrilled with new legislation

RSSBot

News Junkie
The University of Colorado could be in line for yet another boost to their athletic department following a change in legislation which will eliminate the statewide restrictions on multi-year contracts and extensions for school staff. In the past, CU and other state universities have been hindered by these stipulations, which have potentially been a disadvantage in recruiting and maintaining coaching personnel.

Previously, CU and other Colorado schools were limited to only six multi-year contracts per campus, each restricted to no more than five years in length. Bill 17-041, signed this week and set to go into effect on Aug. 9, would exempt certain self-funded areas (such as athletics), from those limitations.

CU currently uses all six multi-year contracts on their athletic staff, primarily their head coaches. Athletic director Rick George, football head coach Mike MacIntyre, defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot, men’s basketball head coach Tad Boyle, women’s basketball head coach J.R. Payne and women’s volleyball head coach Jesse Mahoney are all signed to multi-year deals.

The exemption for the athletic department from these restrictions could have an enormous impact on Colorado’s return to dominance in the sporting world. The ability to offer longer contracts to potential athletic staff could prove a huge draw for coaching talent, which could in turn bolster recruiting success.

“It’s a big deal,” George said of the new bill, “it’s a game changer in a lot of ways.”

The Buffs have recently made great strides in their athletic programs, from the football team’s Pac-12 South title to the national ranking of their young women’s lacrosse program. The ability to attract future coaching targets with longer contracts will make them an even more desirable destination for the top talent in the country.

“I think it’s really important for us to be competitive, that we’re able to offer multi-year contracts to more than just five people,” George said.

The changes will also benefit the University outside of the athletic department. The new law allows the school to use multi-year contracts on academic staff once again instead of being reserved for coaches. This could bring in talented professors onto campus as well.

“Now the campus gets their six back, and they can use those for distinguished faculty, which I think is a really positive thing,” George said. “They get those back and we still have the ability to offer multi-year contracts to our coaches and staff.”

This rule change could have an impact on the football program as soon as January, when yet another bill, which allows for FBS schools to add a tenth assistant coach, goes into effect. CU could take advantage of their newfound contract freedom as they look to sign this new addition to the coaching staff.

Coloardo athletics continued rise to prominence has been facilitated by incredible facilities, faculty and talent. If CU has been limited in their acquisitional abilities and still managed to build such a skilled roster of coaches and staff, imagine how dangerous they will be with fewer restrictions.

Sam Weaver
Continue reading...

Chains are coming off of Ralphie and she is ready to run loose in the PAC! Are the 11 other PAC schools ready for what the Buffs are going to unleash on them?

What happens t the schools who's ADs aren't self sufficient? I believe CU and a few of the D2 schools are the only ones in the state that don't require school subsidies.

This is such a big deal. Such a basic thing, but if I'm an assistant coach, I'm considering offers to move my family for a new job and let's say that my going rate is $250k per year... you can bet your ass my wife and I are going to take an offer for 2 guaranteed years over 1 guaranteed year unless everything else about the 1-year opportunity blows the 2-year situation out of the water.

When did that law go into effect? 1995 or 1996 after Bill McCartney retired with just a couple or few years into a 15 year contract?

Back