What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buff Basketball

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=2]Buff Basketball[/h]—
February 6th
… CU in the Arena …
Getting to Know: No. 13 Utah
Colorado*vs.*No.*13 Utah*… Saturday, 8:00 p.m.,, MT (Pac-12 Networks) … 850 KOA radio … Sirius Radio 108; XM 197
Utes’ 2014-15*Record: 17-4, 7-2 in Pac-12 play
Coach: Larry Krystkowiak, 4th year; 59-59 … A win over Colorado would finally put Krystkowiak over .500 at Utah …
Series: Colorado leads the all-time series against Utah, 25-18. Since the inception of the Pac-12,*Colorado holds a 5-3 edge, with all three*losses coming when*the Buffs have ventured into the Huntsman Center. Last season, the teams split, with each team defending their home court. On January 7th, Utah handed Colorado its first Pac-12 loss of the season, dominating 74-49 in a game in which Xavier Johnson went down early with an ankle injury.
Utah’s record*last season: 21-12; 9-9 in Pac-12 play (tied-8th). Despite a 21-win season, the Utes did not earn an invitation to the NCAA tournament (largely due to a soft non-conference schedule). Utah was bounced by St. Mary’s in the first round of the NIT … This season, the Utes are looking for their first NCAA bid since 2009.
Last time*… January 7th, at Utah … No. 9 Utah 74, Colorado 49 … From ESPN … “We got in the passing lanes,” senior point guard Delon Wright said. “We made smart decisions on offense.” Brandon Taylor scored 14 points and Wright added 13 points, six assists and four steals to help Utah. Dakarai Tucker added 11 off the bench for the Utes.
Utah blew the game open early after clamping down defensively on the Buffaloes. The Utes scored 41 points off turnovers or second-chance baskets.
That number didn’t sit well with Colorado coach Tad Boyle.
“You got to fight human nature in this business,” Boyle said. “Human nature is to get your head down. What we got to do is we got to strap it up and keep fighting. Not let that get our heads down. Not let that bother us. It’s easier said than done.”
Asika Booker and Jaron Hopkins each scored 12 points for Colorado, which was held to its second lowest point total this season. The Buffaloes shot just 39.5 percent from the field (17-of-43).
Utah so far in 2014-15 … When the Pac-12 preseason media poll came out, Arizona was the over-whelming favorite to win the conference. Closely bunched at 2-3-4 in the poll were Utah, Colorado and UCLA. While the Buffs and Bruins have been a disappointment so far this season, the Utes have exceeded expectations. Even without Jordan Loveridge in the lineup for the early part of the season, Utah racked up impressive wins and only a pair of close defeats. Utah is 17-4, 7-2, ranked No. 13 in the nation, with the only non-conference losses coming on the road against No. 16 San Diego State (53-49) and No. 10 Kansas (63-60). Meanwhile, the Utes*posted wins over teams like No. 8 Wichita State and UNLV (which*took*down Arizona). In Pac-12 play, Utah’s only losses have been to Arizona and UCLA, with both losses coming on the road.

CU Notes of Note
Josh Scott practicing, active for Utah game
From cubuffs.com …*Josh Scott’s last night in a Colorado basketball uniform wasn’t a memorable one for him or the Buffaloes. It was Jan.*7 in Salt Lake City, and although CU’s 6-10 junior forward tried his best to run the court in Utah’s uproarious Huntsman Center the 28-minute experiment – and that’s what it was – returned him and his ailing back to square one.
“I was hurting, I think that’s kind of obvious,” Scott said Thursday after a two-plus hour practice that left him and coach Tad Boyle highly encouraged. “It’s not my favorite game; it was kind of a ‘figure this thing out’ type of deal. And that’s what we did.”
What Scott, Boyle and CU’s medical staff figured out in the Buffs’ 74-49 clubbing by then-No. 9 Utah was that Scott simply wasn’t ready to return; his back problems, which included but weren’t limited to spasms, needed more evaluation, more treatment, more rest.
He has practiced with no restrictions since Monday, with Boyle noting on Thursday that Scott “looks great . . . I feel good about him playing; how much I don’t know. We’ll see how he is (Friday); every day is a new day, a new adventure here.”
If the decision is made to play him, Boyle and Scott will confer about how much. Boyle says he likely will “ease him back in rather than throw him in the fire. But when it’s game on, it’s game on. You can’t be a little bit pregnant; you’re either in or you’re out. He’s going to have to play or not play. I think he’s going to want to, but how much and at what capacity we’ll figure out.”
And Scott is on board with that.
“He’s the coach, I’m the player,” he said. “If I’m healthy and can play, it’s his job to tell me how much I’m going to play or not play. But I have to be healthy and he knows that. He’s been very supportive of that . . . he can tell me how many minutes and I’m accepting of that.”
… For Scott, it is simply his first chance to return. “Anyone who really knows me knows that I don’t stay up here in Boulder just to work out, sit on the bench and be injured,” he said. “It was tough watching games from home while my teammates (played). That was probably the toughest thing. I’m not built for it. So I’d say I’m pretty damn excited – I’ll even say damn. I’m pretty damn excited about it.”
—–

February 3rd
… CU in the Arena …
“There’s a chance” Josh Scott will be able to play against Utah
From the Daily Camera … As has been the case in each of the past few weeks, Colorado men’s basketball coach Tad Boyle said “there’s a chance” junior Josh Scott will play this week.
The difference is that Scott appears to be doing more physically.
The 6-foot-10 Scott, who is second on the team in scoring (13.8 points per game) and rebounding (7.2), has missed eight of the last nine games because of back spasms. He has not played since Jan. 7 at Utah.
The Buffs (11-10, 4-5 Pac-12) host No. 13 Utah (17-4, 7-2) on Saturday at the Coors Events Center.
“He’s starting to work out now and we’ll see how the back responds,” Boyle said Tuesday during Pac-12 coaches’ teleconference. “I’m encouraged. I don’t know whether he’ll be ready Saturday or not. It’s too early to say.”
Scott’s back began hurting prior to CU’s trip to the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu, from Dec. 22-25. He fought through it to play all three games in that tournament, but struggled with two of his strengths — rebounding and free-throw shooting.
Continuing reading here
—–

February 2nd
Booker named second-team All-Pac-12
Jon Wilner from the San Jose Mercury News has listed his mid-season All-Pac-12 basketball team.
The full article can be found here.
Best coach: Oregon State’s Wayne Tinkle.*The Beavers (5-4) have more wins through nine games than I projected for them over the full 18. Only a late season collapse will prevent Tinkle from winning Coach of the Year.
Best player: Utah’s Delon Wright. The top player on the No. 2 team and the best all-around player in the conference. Wright averages 13 points (again: conference-only stats) while leading the league in assists (6.6) and ranking third in steals. Has been as good as advertised.
First team
G Utah’s Delon Wright
G Stanford’s Chasson Randle
G Oregon State’s Gary Payton II
F Arizona’s Stanley Johnson
C Washington State’s Josh Hawkinson
Second team
G Colorado’s Askia Booker
G UCLA’s Norman Powell
G Arizona’s T.J. McConnell
F UCLA’s Kevon Looney
F Stanford’s Anthony Brown