What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs at the Combine

There is no correlation between fumble rate, QBR and hand size. See article in today’s ESPN. Not saying it won’t matter to some teams, but there is no scientific basis to the claim.
I never brought up those things. Where I've always thought hand size mattered was when the QB plays in cold or rain (throwing a slick ball). Similarly, add arm strength for conditions and include wind. I've always thought that ball security is about pocket presence and fundamentals of how the QB holds the ball. Toughness, too - some guys can't take a hit.

It is a valid concern as QBs with smaller hands have been shown to be easier to strip. What is crazy though is that despite the film on him, despite his on field results, there are GMs who would pass on him and take other guys who have "better measurable" over him. I still remember Drew Brees falling into the second round because he was "too short."
MYTH. The QBs easier to strip are the ones who were either taught or let get away with sh*t fundamentals. That "J" motion where they drop the ball down along their hip in their motion is what gets them. QBs who keep the ball high and tight won't get stripped. Small hands or not.

MYTH. The QBs easier to strip are the ones who were either taught or let get away with sh*t fundamentals. That "J" motion where they drop the ball down along their hip in their motion is what gets them. QBs who keep the ball high and tight won't get stripped. Small hands or not.

Perhaps Montez learned from his father who was his QBs coach in high school and a former NFL QB for the Raiders. How could Montez not listen to what his father had to offer after making it to the NFL?

An old Ralphie Report story: https://www.ralphiereport.com/2016/10/8/13167122/steven-montez-colorado-buffaloes-football

Perhaps Montez learned from his father who was his QBs coach in high school and a former NFL QB for the Raiders. How could Montez not listen to what his father had to offer after making it to the NFL?

An old Ralphie Report story: https://www.ralphiereport.com/2016/10/8/13167122/steven-montez-colorado-buffaloes-football
I think there's some confusion. I'm not calling out Montez at all. My point was countering the strange belief that smaller hands = more fumbles. Bad QB mechanics = more fumbles. It's why D Linemen are taught to strip QBs a certain way, at a certain point, with a certain body placement and arm/hand action.

I think there's some confusion. I'm not calling out Montez at all. My point was countering the strange belief that smaller hands = more fumbles. Bad QB mechanics = more fumbles. It's why D Linemen are taught to strip QBs a certain way, at a certain point, with a certain body placement and arm/hand action.

I don't disagree with your assertion that bad mechanics lead to more fumbles. I guess my caffiene intake this morning is a little slow...carry on.

There is a lot more to it obviously than hand size and fundamentals are huge but yes all things being equal it is easier to knock the ball out of a small hand than a large hand which can keep a better grip on the ball.

As I alluded to though it is pretty foolish when teams ignore the actual play of a player and make decisions on a measurable at a combine or a pro day. I don't have any idea what his hand size was but I remember in college that Mark Sanchez had some issues with ball security at USC. No surprise that when he got to the pros defenses went after him and he became a turnover machine.

Measurables do matter, actual performance on the field matters more.

This is why despite his probably impressing with numbers at the combine and even more at his pro day where he can control what scouts see I wouldn't draft a guy like Montez. Give me a guy who is maybe an inch or two shorter or who has a little less raw arm strength but who has shown he can read a defense and make the throws under pressure.

Hand size may be the only measurement that Trevor Siemian beats Montez in but he is likely to have a 10+ year career on NFL rosters because coaches trust him to do what they ask him despite his limitations.

Quality QB play does't go with Montez. I guess Viska is going to tear it up in the NFL.

One fun thing for Buff fans to look for at the combine is whether Davion Taylor can challenge the all-time 40 time for linebackers at the combine. (Mr. Brockman is the Buff sprints coach on the track team, and was Mr. Taylor's coach the one year he ran college track.)-

Last edited:
Viska is just a rare dude. There doesn't seem like much he can't do. He runs well, he will be a rich man in short order. He deserves it, guy balled his ass off for CU.

Most of those passes were quick outs, locked onto Viska, 5 yards down field. Practically a handoff. Viska's YAC took care of the rest. Tony Brown would need to be on that same list plus 55% before giving those numbers any credence.
I saw Viska catch a number of balls that almost no other college WR would catch. If he catches it then you have to call it a catchable ball In the stats even when he is bending over and back with a shoulder pad in the back.

Some of the balls he caught typical college WRs wouldn't have touched much less grabbed.

Also related to the amount of time he spent not fully healthy. Montez threw him into some ugly hits

I saw Viska catch a number of balls that almost no other college WR would catch. If he catches it then you have to call it a catchable ball In the stats even when he is bending over and back with a shoulder pad in the back.

Some of the balls he caught typical college WRs wouldn't have touched much less grabbed.

Also related to the amount of time he spent not fully healthy. Montez threw him into some ugly hits
Yep, using the argument in the tweet in reverse holds more water. Montez's stats were padded with Viska's talent.

Back