What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

Let me rephrase - I’m not going to make sense of who someone follows on Twitter or why, so from that perspective I don’t really care who anyone follows.

Does he like to hate scroll Twitter like a lot of people? Did his follow of Boebert trigger a bunch of suggested follows that he clicked without much thought? Is it the Twitter equivalent of slowing down to look at a car wreck? Does he like to troll accounts of people he thinks are ridiculous? Does he make an effort to follow differing and extreme viewpoints? Or is he a closeted bigot who believes women shouldn’t be able to vote? I don’t know and neither do you, so until someone asks him and gets that answer, I’m not getting worked up over who he follows.
He doesn’t think it is a big deal, nor do you. I happen to think that following white nationalists is problematic for a University of Colorado administrator in their work account. Good luck.

He doesn’t think it is a big deal, nor do you. I happen to think that following white nationalists is problematic for a University of Colorado administrator in their work account. Good luck.
I don’t know if it’s a big deal - you seem sure that it is. Fine.

On the bright side, at least we’re all living pretty plush lives judging by how we can spend a week arguing about a guy’s hypothetical beliefs based on his Twitter follows. Definitely something to be said for that level of comfort and security, so we can all be thankful for that fosho

Do you work for larger company? If so, talk to a decision-maker in the personnel division and ask about whether or not it’s cool if c-suite employees follow white nationalists on their work socials. It is pretty astounding how y’all don’t comprehend the negative optics.
Those policies are generally in place to prevent those actions from hurting the company - if his Twitter follows haven’t hurt the AD then it’s a problem for you not “the company”.

Unless and until those Twitter follows begin to hurt his ability to do his job or damage the university, or he demonstrates some support for the objectionable viewpoints of the people he follows, then again it’s a problem for you not him.

Those policies are generally in place to prevent those actions from hurting the company - if his Twitter follows haven’t hurt the AD then it’s a problem for you not “the company”.

Unless and until those Twitter follows begin to hurt his ability to do his job or damage the university, or he demonstrates some support for the objectionable viewpoints of the people he follows, then again it’s a problem for you not him.
If you're going to hide behind "we don't know his beliefs! we don't know why he follows those accounts!" then you don't get to assert that it hasn't been an issue- we don't know that. For all we know, there could be a dozen basketball coaches and football coaches who have noted this, and given this information to potential recruits who might not be so nonplussed as you are.

Also, as @Hank pointed out very well, there is a HUGE difference between "Twitter follows reveal things about people, as is evidenced by how twitter and other social media companies put real dollars into marketing towards users based upon their follows" and "Twitter follows mean the person agrees with the viewpoints of all the persons they follow."

And, additionally, there is public interest value in following accounts like Donald Trump, Lauren Boebert, et al. There is no public interest value in following Faith Goldy, unless the Twitter user in question places some degree of importance on her viewpoints (i.e. white nationalism).

1. I give very little credibility to the evidence that his follows are fascists.
2. Remember, there is a big difference between the terms “patriotic” and “white nationalist.” There are people who are trying to make them synonymous. They are not
Ok.
not a lot of rebuttal here because everyone has you on ignore!

If you're going to hide behind "we don't know his beliefs! we don't know why he follows those accounts!" then you don't get to assert that it hasn't been an issue- we don't know that. For all we know, there could be a dozen basketball coaches and football coaches who have noted this, and given this information to potential recruits who might not be so nonplussed as you are.

Also, as @Hank pointed out very well, there is a HUGE difference between "Twitter follows reveal things about people, as is evidenced by how twitter and other social media companies put real dollars into marketing towards users based upon their follows" and "Twitter follows mean the person agrees with the viewpoints of all the persons they follow."

And, additionally, there is public interest value in following accounts like Donald Trump, Lauren Boebert, et al. There is no public interest value in following Faith Goldy, unless the Twitter user in question places some degree of importance on her viewpoints (i.e. white nationalism).
I agree, I have no idea if it has affected his job or the university, and if you read my earlier posts, I said very specifically that if there is evidence out there that it has then that would matter a great deal to me. Until then, it doesn’t.

As far as I can tell the only damage his Twitter follows have actually done is to piss off a couple posters on AllBuffs, which is a low bar. If that changes please let me know.

It is a problem for the optics because white nationalism is an evil in our country. This particular person following these accounts is a problem for me because this is a work account and, in part, represents my alma mater.

It is a problem for the optics because white nationalism is an evil in our country. This particular person following these accounts is a problem for me because this is a work account and, in part, represents my alma mater.
I’m failing to see how a Twitter follow negatively represents the school or you as an alum unless you believe he subscribes to the same viewpoints.

I’m failing to see how a Twitter follow negatively represents the school or you as an alum unless you believe he subscribes to the same viewpoints.
I view it this way...if it’s an institutional account then the institution owns the reputation for that account. At minimum, it’s a bad look anyway you slice it. If he wants to follow, retweet from a personal account, he can go right ahead. But once you represent something bigger than yourself, you follow rules of said institution. It’s pretty clear CU is either oblivious or negligent. Shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

I view it this way...if it’s an institutional account then the institution owns the reputation for that account. At minimum, it’s a bad look anyway you slice it. If he wants to follow, retweet from a personal account, he can go right ahead. But once you represent something bigger than yourself, you follow rules of said institution. It’s pretty clear CU is either oblivious or negligent. Shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
There is no personal and institutional account here - it’s one Twitter account that he had years before joining CU and will presumably maintain after he leaves CU someday - the school doesn’t own that account. He uses it in his capacity as AD so it’s not entirely independent of the school and the school could certainly place restrictions on what he can and can’t do with his social media accounts, and to your point they are either oblivious, negligent, and I would add a 3rd possibility - they are aware and have no problem with it because he hasn’t expressed support for those objectionable viewpoints, they are opinions of others, not his.

Manhattan doesn’t have me on ignore and he was the only one I was talking to. Manhattan and I disagree all the time, but I respect his intelligence and his insight and by challenging him, sometimes I learn something.
You on the other hand are a ****ing c***!
that post of yours was horrific. the only people who can't distinguish white nationalism from patriotism are white nationalists

Oh, so… nazism isn’t okay, but I am an ass.hole because I don’t want the Athletic Director of my alma mater following actual nazis on Twitter?

It seems pretty obvious is that you’re the asshole here.
Who is a nazi that he follows?
Or are you just falsely accusing people of being a nazi, which is almost just as worse.

LOL just realized I was replying to manhattan this entire time.

Hey @manhattanbuff did you name yourself after the Manhattan Project, because it seems like your sole intention is to create as much devastation as possible.

Translation: Everyone who doesn't share my worldly views is a right wing extremist and they must be silenced. SILENCED for the good of the world.
Translation translation: everyone should have the “free speech” to say, tweet, or retweet whatever offensive point of veiw they want, but anyone expressing their “free speech” to point out what they believe to be offensive, dangerous, hypocritical, misleading, or awful about those expressions, while asserting their “free speech” belief that such conduct may rise to the level of negatively impacting that person’s job performance is somehow “silencing” or “cancelling” that person, even when there is no power to actually “silence” or “cancel” anything.

Who is seeking to silence whom in this manufactured “cancel culture” equation, exactly?

Back