What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal is trying to kill its football program - new GPA standard

...unless this has no effect. In which case I will be pissed.

Pretty clear they are putting APR and GPA admissions over anything else right now. Very hard for that to not backfire unless you have a Harbaugh or Cutcliffe coach, which Dykes doesn't seem to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what Cal's athletic scholarship numbers are. I also don't know if they are going to go with "scholarship athletes" or just "athletes." Finally, we don't know if they are going to enforce this by sport, or by overall numbers.

By my count, Cal has 350 scholarships for athletics (I used the NCAA max for all the sports they play, and assumed that for men's crew and rugby they 1. award scholarships, and 2. do so at a 70% ratio to the max for the women's version, which are NCAA sponsored. Cal calls those two sports "varsity," so I'm assuming they put some scholarships behind them).

If they did the 80% by total number of athletic scholarships, that would leave 70 available for athletes "under the bar." I would assume that football and men's basketball would "claim" the majority of them.

If they do the 80% by total number of athletes [e.g. two 50% scholarship golf players count as two athletes], then I would assume that they probably have around 500 athletes playing varsity sports, and the entire football and basketball teams could be covered with the 20% that don't have to meet the standards. In practice, and just by natural happenstance, football and basketball will have students over that bar (even without explicitly trying to), which could provide some "exemptions" for other sports.

If they do it by sport, Cal football and basketball are ****ed.

I'm going to assume that it's the second option. It sounds good, and appeases the "we're a university, not a sports association" crowd, but in practice won't hurt them too badly in the revenue sports.

From the article linked in the OP:

Dykes said perhaps just 20 of 100 prospects who submit high school transcripts will end up being academically qualified under the new standards.

cal offs itself.

asu is always on the precipice of probation.

oregon will get the death penalty eventually.

ucla will step on their own johnsons; they always do.

yessss. things are opening up nicely. in only another 5-6 years, we might be at the top of this conference. ... all part of the master plan...

cal offs itself.

asu is always on the precipice of probation.

oregon will get the death penalty eventually.

ucla will step on their own johnsons; they always do.

yessss. things are opening up nicely. in only another 5-6 years, we might be at the top of this conference. ... all part of the master plan...

Don't forget: Washington made the bet that after the Houston Nutt, Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins examples, that they have hired a Boise State coach who will repeat the success at the P5 level. :rofl:

Sorry I'm late to this party. I've been busy laying face down in my own vomitus. That is to say, when I'm not getting humped in all my orifices while in various submissive positions.

I have a few minutes still in this airport bar so here's my take:

Firstly, **** all of you. Like, every last one of you.

As to the question of will this impede our abilities to compete? Well, that remains to be seen. If it does, we sure are going to miss the glory days of the last few years when we defeated nobody of consequence while recruiting academic risks in the process. Most of our alums feel positive about this and the more negative ones remain cautiously optimistic. FWIW- All of our athletic teams traditionally perform very well in the classroom save football, basketball and perhaps baseball. This occasionally happens when you are one of the founding members of the current PAC 12 and have twice the sports teams as a Colorado. The thought process is to apply these expectations to the more popular and revenue generating sports. It is what it is and we're rolling with it. In fact, the last two classes of both football and basketball have already turned the corner and those programs have proactively recruited student athletes with higher GPAs. We'll see what happens on the field and on the court in 15/16 but we're landing more and more recruits from the South, Texas, the Midwest and East coast as well as California so it seems the model is to cast a wider net as the criteria for athletic admissions strengthens.

Yes, this year we've lost several 4* commits in football and several in basketball due to academic shortcomings but we landed two 5* recruits in basketball and 18 commits so far in football-several of which will be 4* as they head into their senior year so it's all good. Thanks for your concern. Have a nice day.

For football, the real concern is this year as we focus on the upcoming schedule; Texas in Austin, UW in Seattle, Utah in Salt Lake, UCLA in LA, SC at home followed by Oregon in Eugene and furd in Stanford. No easy task but we should be fine as long as a defense-any defense takes the field. I'm sure you can empathize with us there. Regardless, you go on and worry about Hawaii, UMass, CSU and Nichols State. Better hope lil' brother doesn't push in your caca again this year or worse; you lose to one of the other 3 teams. That kind of result may call for the PAC to "off you" and send you to a lesser conference. Let's be honest. Nobody in the PAC wants to see you get relegated to the Mountain West and be Air Force's bitch.

Finally, and in this Mountain Buff type of post, I'm happy that we distracted you from your rival CSU for just a bit. Always thought you guys were better than that. We gave you Utah-do something with that. I followed CU through the 80s and 90s. I know your history. I know your pride. I know your campus. I know your grads. I know your geography. I know your women. I know your Burritos.

Stop focusing on Cal. You won't get any of our cast offs or be able to spin anything your way. Similar but different schools hippies. We just landed huge donations for a swimming complex, a tennis complex and the astronomy department. Alumni funding is the sh*t! Cut the cord with the Fort Collins games too. Crush Utah in football. Crush ASU in BBall. Be a Big 8 relic or be something new-something the world has never seen. You have new facilities, a great location and a legacy yet you're ****ing that up. You're the only school with a beautiful front range, skiing and hiking that's world class. I could get ****ed up every day and show up to work late and I could do a better job selling your ****. You're so completely a PAC 12 school and what we envisioned but I wonder if you realize that before you are kicked out?

It's all in your hands Buffs. The future is yours. You still miss inbred & meth using Big posters or do want reality bitches?

-Bear

Last edited:
Nice rant. Have to remember this so we can bump it after watching a few years of the Cal "Fighting Urkels".

But I guess it won't be that big of a deal. I mean, it's not like you ever beat Stanford even when admitting a roster of mouth breathers. At least your new players will be able to understand most of the smack talk that the Cardinal players are running as they blow you guys out.

Nice rant. Have to remember this so we can bump it after watching a few years of the Cal "Fighting Urkels".

Hiya Nick. Hawaii and CSU are gonna kick your ass. You're worried. You should be. We all know you're following Penn State anyways.

Appreciate your optimism. You're solid like that. Say, you up for a 140K job + bonuses? Need a BA or BS- might entail a lot of flying too. Denver is a solid location. Let me know or PM me.

relax dude. Go check into the minute suites and unload your stress.

View attachment 16832

Go easy on Flukes. It can't be easy to go through watching your program rated as having among the worst academic performances in the nation while getting lapped by Stanford and UCLA programs who did it while maintaining high academic standards.

Go easy on Flukes. It can't be easy to go through watching your program rated as having among the worst academic performances in the nation while getting lapped by Stanford and UCLA programs who did it while maintaining high academic standards.

Ah, I love you man. Nobody worries about fUCLA. LA reporters push that. It's the other way around in real life but if you want to really **** with a Cal grad, say Stanford, MIT, CalTech or Harvard. Then stuff gets real. In fact, most Cal grads lose it. You're welcome. (Make sure you use the right major at a cocktail party because all those nerds know the current rankings and most of them, from any school, don't know that there is a football program). Application of pressure brother...

Last edited:
Hiya Nick. Hawaii and CSU are gonna kick your ass. You're worried. You should be. We all know you're following Penn State anyway.

Appreciate your optimism. You're solid like that. Say, you up for a 140K job + bonuses? Need a BA or BS- might entail a lot of flying too. Denver is a solid location. Let me know or PM me.

Fify.

Let's circle back to the elephant in the room though:

CU is under performing given:

General Flight Location
Relative Location that is amazeballs
Awesomeness
Quality of Undergrads and graduate students
Quality of living
Historical Prominence in athletics
Historical Prominence in academics
Ability to smoke High Quality Weed
Acceptance of Others

So...why do you suck?

General Flight Location
Awesomeness
Quality of living
Acceptance of Others

So...why do you suck?
feature_summer_distefano.jpg

Ah, I love you man. Nobody worries about fUCLA. LA reporters push that. It's the other way around in real life but if you want to really **** with a Cal grad, say Stanford, MIT, CalTech or Harvard. Then stuff gets real. In fact, most Cal grads loose it. You're welcome. (Make sure you use the right major at a cocktail party because all those nerds know the current rankings and most of them, from any school, don't know that there is a football program. Application of pressure brother...

*lose

Good thing they can't go retroactive on these new academic standards, right? You should be grateful for this change, your degree might actually be worth something in a few years.

General Flight Location
Awesomeness
Quality of living
Acceptance of Others

So...why do you suck?

Because following an embarrassment late in 2003 regarding recruits getting drunk and getting laid on visits along with allegations of sexual misconduct by players, the university adopted policies that shortened the max duration of a recruiting visit to 1 day and implemented much more rigorous admissions requirements for athletes.

So, we've been there and this thread is pretty much us saying that we see what you're doing at Cal and know the result.

CU is finally showing that it is finding its way back from what amounted to a self-inflicted death penalty. We feel your pain, even if you don't realize yet the pain that is coming.

Further, I'm gonna lay some serious wood down. It's been a couple of years now so wtf...right? fUCLA and Cal wanted you in the PAC for Academic reasons. Academic reasons only. You sucked then and you suck now in athletics. The thought was that you could excel in the PAC within 3-5 years. We had to convince furd that you were legit in astronomy as we both wanted you for comp lit and other English language publications (or some such BS that we called it back then). USC hated your addition. They still do. Feel free to follow up in whatever fashion you feel necessary. If I recall correctly, Oregon State voted you in too-but only because they could kick your ass in sports. Still, better than the BIG right? Besides, we needed some skiiing championships. Thx!

*lose

Good thing they can't go retroactive on these new academic standards, right? You should be grateful for this change, your degree might actually be worth something in a few years.

Meh. Good call. Out of 2,555 posts, you found a typo. Patron shots off your balls!

Did you mean tequila shots off his balls or that you'd pay for photos of his balls?

I'm lucky if I stumble to my gate and wind up in the right city I need to fly to for work tomorrow. **** Colorado is my main message at this juncture of the evening...

flukes still in the first stage of grief - denial - but he's rapidly moving towards anger.

Just so so you know, Flukes, we moved out of depression and into acceptance some time around Embrees second year.

Back