What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

California Boosters

You want a scarier number? under 200 Buffclub members in SoCal, near100% of which came to CU to give, almost none were recruited.

That is why a Pac-10 move makes sense in this situation. Not only would we be able to get more west coast Buff alumni to cough up the dough, we could win new fans on the west coast. Now if there are about 50k Buff alumni on the west coast and if you apply that 67% non-alumni to the Buff Club, we could build a large fan base in that side of the country. The more that we look at those kind of stuff, the more sense it makes for CU to move to the Pac-10 than ever.

That is why a Pac-10 move makes sense in this situation. Not only would we be able to get more west coast Buff alumni to cough up the dough, we could win new fans on the west coast. Now if there are about 50k Buff alumni on the west coast and if you apply that 67% non-alumni to the Buff Club, we could build a large fan base in that side of the country. The more that we look at those kind of stuff, the more sense it makes for CU to move to the Pac-10 than ever.

Looks like I was way off. I stand corrected. A move to the Pac 10 would (I hope) generate more cash for our program. Moving to the Pac would be the best move for the Buffs.

I'm sure most of you guys know I dont really mean to attack anyone here. I always thought the AD was begging and pleading for cash from all of our boosters. Some stories i've heard says otherwise. I apologize to Superdeluxe, Liver, and anyone else who may have been offended by my comments. I get carried away sometimes. :lol:

I dont think any of us are/were offended by you, perhaps more offended by the reality of how CU has handled the out of state alumni, and where we could be had they been mildly competent over the past 15 years.

Wow. 67%?

That doesn't sound that high. I would bet that a pretty high percentage of OU fans and Nebraska fans (and probably even Texas fans) never attended their school.

I know quite a few OU seasons ticket holders whose only time on the campus has been on gamedays.

yes, i can speak to this point personally. when i joined the buffclub a few years ago, i sent in my money (no one asked--- i just did it) and i heard nothing. nothing. they cashed the check and then total silence. no thank you or anything. so, i got a little pissed and i emailed some folks and then i got a few personal calls and some shirts in the mail as an apology. i didn't really want an apology. all i wanted was some kind of a written response acknowledging receipt. things have improved since then, but this illustrates how things can go wrong, i think. i think bohn has improved things a lot on this front.

FWIW I've had a completely different experience. I get a call every 6 months from a current CU student who is from my local area in the South Bay (the last one was went to Los Gatos High) asking me to donate money. I am no where near a big doner, in fact I'm not even a moderate doner, but they call me every six months asking for me to give and I always end up giving whatever little amount I can afford. I usually end up chatting with the student about school, the football team and stuff going on on campus and they are always honest and charming. (I've also noticed that I always get called by what sounds like an attractive girl and I will confess it has made a difference in my decision to donate and the amount. Good job Mike B!)

I think this program has a lot potential but they need to step it up and expand it a lot more while also making contacting the bigger fish a higher priority in addition to going after me and my $200-300/year contribution.

SJ-

Is the person calling you from CU or from the AD/Foundation? all those kid calls I get are from the college of arts and crafts, not the foundation.

That doesn't sound that high. I would bet that a pretty high percentage of OU fans and Nebraska fans (and probably even Texas fans) never attended their school.

I know quite a few OU seasons ticket holders whose only time on the campus has been on gamedays.
I know the Sooners and Longhorns have a very large following(obviously). Just about everywhere I go, I notice their fans. CU could only dream about having that kind of support. That's why I thought the number was high. I always assumed the majority of CU's fans were alums.

i think they are doing a much better job than they used to do... i credit bohn for that. i just posted my experience to illustrate how a fan can become disillusioned if certain simple protocols are not followed.

if i had to guess, i'd guess that the main problem the CUAD has in terms of fundraising, both here and everywhere else, is resource constraints. i bet they just don't have enough folks to do the stuff that they need to do. this is the classic chicken/egg thing, but i suspect that they are severely constrained by the number of employees that they can put on any particular project.

i would hope that if CU were to move the p10, there would be a big push to capitalize on such a large installed base of alums. it would only make sense to do so. and, hopefully, there will be more $$ for that type of thing because of the really awesome giant gargantuan unprecedented bitchin' huge tv contract with the p12 (fingers totally crossed on that!).

Now that I think about it, the call may have come from the college of arts and sciences. Still, if they can do a program like that, why can't the AD foundation?

by the way, valdez, you've suggested a couple times that people either don't like you or are angry with you or whatever... i can't speak for others, but i've got no beef with you.

just because we disagree about a subject on a message board doesn't mean anything personal... now, if you were snobunny on the other hand, it would be personal... :lol: actually, i am kidding about sno too...

it is all good!

by the way, valdez, you've suggested a couple times that people either don't like you or are angry with you or whatever... i can't speak for others, but i've got no beef with you.

just because we disagree about a subject on a message board doesn't mean anything personal... now, if you were snobunny on the other hand, it would be personal... :lol: actually, i am kidding about sno too...

it is all good!
Word. I've seen your work on the Politics board. So I know I don't want to be on your bad side. :smile2:

Now that I think about it, the call may have come from the college of arts and sciences. Still, if they can do a program like that, why can't the AD foundation?

This is part of the whole issue, and the thing that has begotten the CU OOS booster situation, the college of arts and sciences refuses to share your name and information with the AD/Foundation, and no one for what ever reason at CU will share information with each other. If you want any hope of donating to athletics you basically have to call the foundation and donate. Compounding the issue was that until very recently the foundation was massively understaffed and could barely keep up with the few donners they had, forcing them to focus on easier instate money. A lot has changed recently and things are getting better, but with the football team tanking it wont be easy to grow the base.

A good comparison is OSU and OU. Both have similar alumni bases in the state; both have about 30,000 students enrolled at any given time and produce similar alumni numbers. But OU has an 85,000-seat stadium that is packed and OSU has a 60,000-seat stadium that struggles to sell out. So how can one school sell out a huge number and the other only sell about 90 percent? That's where the non-alum fans come in. In Oklahoma, that demographic is probably 80-20 in OU's favor. At NU, everyone from there is a fan. So while I wouldn't know a percentage, I will say that there are a TON of non-college-educated OU fans in this state -- there are many more of them than actual students/alumni/graduates. Probably 2 million of Oklahoma's 3.5 million folks are Sooners.

it is all good!

try accusing Manny of taking estrogen..... then you can piss him off :nod:

I play in a roller hockey league with the head of fundraising for Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania. His full time job is to fly around the country and meet with donors. HE DOES THIS EVERY DAY for a living. He has a small staff that their full time job is to call and thank people. The money that they raise is in the millions per year and his costs are less than 10% of what they raise......

I would like to be in the 90% profit margin business.....

Dear Colorado Fans,
california_broke.jpg

Back