What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CBSsports ranks all 65 Power-5 coaches

I genuinely believe Harbaugh built that program and Shaw successfully maintained that momentum. That being said, two points:
1) He has maintained the highest level of success Harbaugh had achieved and that is no trivial outcome given it is now at 6 years
2) There has yet to be a genuine gap in their performance, but last year may have proved what is to come next

With CMac gone, if he can deliver the kind of year this year that has happened over his tenure, my opinion will change. I believe they will be down and it will be the start of a slow decline.
Only point of contention is that Shaw did more than maintain what Harbaugh achieved in his best year. He exceeded it by maintaining the dominance over USC while burying Oregon - the hump Harbaugh couldn't get over to win the division. And let's not forget that Shaw was Harbaugh's OC when that Stanford program got built. I think Shaw is the most under-appreciated elite coach in college football.

Peterson is not a top 10 coach yet in my book. Not enough track record above in the big boy club yet, only 3 seasons or so and only one good season.

Shaw has impressed me given how long he has sustained Stanford. I discounted him as riding Harbaugh's coattails, but no longer. Still too conservative on offense, but stands alone at the top of the Pac-12.

If I'm hiring a coach to run my program:

1) Saban
2) Meyers
3) Harbaugh

A bunch of guys in a pool below them.

Been refreshing CBSsports off and on all day. Top 25 finally dropped. http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-football-coaches-entering-the-2017-season/

1. Nick Saban (#1 in 2016)
2. Urban Meyer (#2 in 2016)
3. Dabo Swinney (#3 in 2016)
4. Jimbo Fisher (#6 in 2016)
5. Jim Harbaugh (#10 in 2016)

Pac-12:
7. Chris Petersen (#14 in 2016)
8. David Shaw (#9 in 2016)
14. Kyle Whittingham (#23 in 2016)
25. Mike Leach (#30 in 2016)

Been refreshing CBSsports off and on all day. Top 25 finally dropped. http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-football-coaches-entering-the-2017-season/

1. Nick Saban (#1 in 2016)
2. Urban Meyer (#2 in 2016)
3. Dabo Swinney (#3 in 2016)
4. Jimbo Fisher (#6 in 2016)
5. Jim Harbaugh (#10 in 2016)

Pac-12:
7. Chris Petersen (#14 in 2016)
8. David Shaw (#9 in 2016)
14. Kyle Whittingham (#23 in 2016)
25. Mike Leach (#30 in 2016)
If you want to talk about coaches who haven't "won" anything - how about Mike Leach? Never won a conference championship but if all you want is an 8-4 record every single year then he's your guy.

If you want to talk about coaches who haven't "won" anything - how about Mike Leach? Never won a conference championship but if all you want is an 8-4 record every single year then he's your guy.
Which has put him in the 25-30 range the past couple years. Not elite, but on the very, very good list. I think it's fair. Probably aren't more than 25 guys who could match his record if coaching at TTU and WSU. And if he keeps it going another 20 years he'll be ranked Top 10 like Snyder is.

Shaw in 6 seasons: 64-17 (42-12) with 3 conference titles, 4 Top 10 finishes and a 4-2 bowl record. At friggin' Stanford, which has never had sustained success.

What are you looking for him to do before you're willing to acknowledge him as an elite coach?
Get lighter skin?

Note: I'm 100% sure that isn't what influenced Highlander's comment, but it is an unfortunate reality in our society.

Get lighter skin?

Note: I'm 100% sure that isn't what influenced Highlander's comment, but it is an unfortunate reality in our society.
To be clear (and thanks for not calling me out), I feel this way about every coach picking up a team at its pinnacle - and it generally proves to be true. Hawkins just made me doubly cynical about that profile - I'm scarred.

Technically he won 2 conference championships in 3 seasons at USD and he won an Orange Bowl at Stanford so he's "won" something.

If you could hire Harbaugh, Shaw, Snyder or Stoops right now who would you choose? I'd take Harbaugh.

That's right. Don't discount those mighty Pioneer League Championships at USD. Beating such football powers such as Dayton, Marist, Butler, Valpraiso, the Camels of Campbell, and of course mighty Drake. Yes, this is an insane conference. The wonders of non-scholarship football.

That's right. Don't discount those mighty Pioneer League Championships at USD. Beating such football powers such as Dayton, Marist, Butler, Valpraiso, the Camels of Campbell, and of course mighty Drake. Yes, this is an insane conference. The wonders of non-scholarship football.
I mean he was working with Pioneer League talent himself, it's not like he had a P5 roster to work with. And it was his first head coaching job after only 2 years as a QB coach with the Raiders so to dominate his league like that so quickly and with so little experience was pretty impressive.

Which has put him in the 25-30 range the past couple years. Not elite, but on the very, very good list. I think it's fair. Probably aren't more than 25 guys who could match his record if coaching at TTU and WSU. And if he keeps it going another 20 years he'll be ranked Top 10 like Snyder is.

He gets a bump because he is the eccentric, goofy guy. Not close to the coach Snyder is and never will be. One (!?!?) double-digit win season in his entire career? By contrast, Snyder already had six at that point in his career.

I mean he was working with Pioneer League talent himself, it's not like he had a P5 roster to work with. And it was his first head coaching job after only 2 years as a QB coach with the Raiders so to dominate his league like that so quickly and with so little experience was pretty impressive.

I didn't mean for that to come off that way, but I see why I it did. I was at USD while Harbaugh was there, they were awesome. He did get some quality talent to come, we referred to our QB Josh Johnson as I-AA Michael Vick (this was before the dog fighting thing). He's still bouncing around as an NFL backup, he's with the Giants now.

I have always wanted Wittingham to move on to a big time program to see what he could do with a ton of 4 and 5 stars because he has clearly shown he can develop what he has. I think we got lucky Nebraska couldn't land him a couple years ago.

For every thing that is right for Wittingham, something seems to be wrong as well:
1) Hasn't achieved that genuine breakout season
2) Coaches keep leaving him or getting fired - and this is a red flag

I place him as Mike Leach 2.0. A guy who can consistently win 8-9 games, but will not take you farther.

For every thing that is right for Wittingham, something seems to be wrong as well:
1) Hasn't achieved that genuine breakout season
2) Coaches keep leaving him or getting fired - and this is a red flag

I place him as Mike Leach 2.0. A guy who can consistently win 8-9 games, but will not take you farther.
I'd keep him above Leach purely because at least he doesn't lose to FCS schools all the time. That's honestly a really big knock on Leach for me..

Last edited:
HlSnyder already had six at that point in his career.
Probably before your time, but Snyder invented the cupcake schedule. 3 absolute guaranteed wins to start the season and a very crappy B12 made for some relatively easy 10 win seasons.

Probably before your time, but Snyder invented the cupcake schedule. 3 absolute guaranteed wins to start the season and a very crappy B12 made for some relatively easy 10 win seasons.

Leach has made a living off cupcake schedules as well. Disagree somewhat on your take on the Big 12. He was winning 10+ games a year before the North turned to complete crap.

Leach has made a living off cupcake schedules as well. Disagree somewhat on your take on the Big 12. He was winning 10+ games a year before the North turned to complete crap.

No arguments on Leach. Snyder had one great team in all his years at KSU. One. And that one team choked away the B12 championship game to TAMU in the 4th quarter.

No arguments on Leach. Snyder had one great team in all his years at KSU. One. And that one team choked away the B12 championship game to TAMU in the 4th quarter.

the KSU team that lost to eventual champ Oklahoma twice (in close games) was very very good to great. really good and physical on D. mauled Tennessee in their bowl game. 2000 i think.

Back