What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP expanding to 8 teams before 2026 - CBS Sports

I’m for each P5 champ to have an auto bid...maybe have 1 slot for the best G5 team and 2 at large.
I hate this auto bid for P5 champs BS. So if an 8-4 team wins the Big XII title game, you want them in?

The thing I hate about Match Madness is the best team rarely wins the title. The more teams you add, the more the season and championship get devalued.

4 teams, or better yet, #1 and #2 play for all the marbles. That's how it should be.

It is hard for me to understand why someone would feel this way. Please explain without using nostalgia.
Importance of every game in college football is huge. You can’t say the same about the NFL. It is also much harder to get to the college playoff and the process and polls are largely unpredictable (which is exciting to me). The product just varies significantly from the NFL (which is a huge plus to me as the NFL product has gotten stale and boring compared to college football). You expand playoff and it just starts looking more and more like NFL divisions, with division winners and wild card. Puke. Boring. And what’s the next step, one big TV contract split evenly by all. Again, puke.

i could see friday?
If you did Thanksgiving for the final week of the regular season as it is right now and had the 16-team playoff like I laid out:

Last regular season game is always the last weekend in November.
1st round (conference semis) is always the first weekend in December.
2nd round (conference championships) is always the second weekend in December.
3rd round (national semis) could give a break for final exams and be played on New Year's Day.
4th round (national championship) would be then offset like this year to avoid being on the same day as the NFL playoff wildcard round.

It is hard for me to understand why someone would feel this way. Please explain without using nostalgia.
Why without nostalgia? Part of what makes college football great is history and tradition. I'm not sure where I stand on expansion, but to discount nostalgia doesn't make sense to me.

Nik, your proposal really cheapens the regular season in a pretty big way. No reason to pay attention until mid to late October.
I don't think it would. I actually think that this argument about college football has been flawed and hasn't worked out that way during my lifetime. Yes, early season games matter. But that also scares teams away from playing meaningful ones. It also makes it so that a team that plays a bad game in September has a deflated fan base with less reason to care the rest of the season. Shouldn't the season's games build in intensity and significance as the season progresses? Wouldn't it be better to have a team with 2 or 3 losses in the playoff after it played a great schedule instead of a season with a boatload of cupcake games on tv or as part of our season ticket packages because teams are all about protecting from 2 losses or trying to make sure they get bowl eligible with 3 patsies on the early schedule?

No way. Basketball tournament NC is on a Monday night. I love having a good game to look forward to at work on a Monday.
I’m trying to throw a championship party and watch football, not just chill and have some beers and head home early because some idiots scheduled a game on a Monday might when everyone has work the next day and just had a bunch of time off from the holidays. College football is meant for Saturday, Monday’s are for Netflix or some stupid other show and you know that.

I don't think it would. I actually think that this argument about college football has been flawed and hasn't worked out that way during my lifetime. Yes, early season games matter. But that also scares teams away from playing meaningful ones. It also makes it so that a team that plays a bad game in September has a deflated fan base with less reason to care the rest of the season. Shouldn't the season's games build in intensity and significance as the season progresses? Wouldn't it be better to have a team with 2 or 3 losses in the playoff after it played a great schedule instead of a season with a boatload of cupcake games on tv or as part of our season ticket packages because teams are all about protecting from 2 losses or trying to make sure they get bowl eligible with 3 patsies on the early schedule?

Isn't your proposal basically killing late season football for half the teams though? A lot of teams still have something to play for in November, even if their shot at the playoff ended in September. Seems like your proposal consolidates the meaningful games big time. Seems like a recipe for a ****load of interim coaches in November.

Isn't your proposal basically killing late season football for half the teams though? A lot of teams still have something to play for in November, even if their shot at the playoff ended in September. Seems like your proposal consolidates the meaningful games big time. Seems like a recipe for a ****load of interim coaches in November.
Maybe so. If the bowls completely died. I suspect that like with CBB with its NIT and other post-season tourney (CBI) we'd see something similar keep going in CFB for any team that wasn't complete dog****. The public and broadcast companies seem to have enough of an appetite for these non-playoff postseason college games that I could see that still being a thing. I think I was wrong to say that this would kill the bowls. It's probably more likely that we see it change into something that matters a lot less but still exists. Seems like we're heading that direction anyway.

How about if you have eight 16 team “groups” and have each group have a “championship” game? I haven’t put any more thought into it than that.

If you did Thanksgiving for the final week of the regular season as it is right now and had the 16-team playoff like I laid out:

Last regular season game is always the last weekend in November.
1st round (conference semis) is always the first weekend in December.
2nd round (conference championships) is always the second weekend in December.
3rd round (national semis) could give a break for final exams and be played on New Year's Day.
4th round (national championship) would be then offset like this year to avoid being on the same day as the NFL playoff wildcard round.
Thank you for completely ruining the absolute greatest rivalry game tradition in college sports.

Signed,

Army - Navy

you know the nfl wont play ball
I don’t see why not, it’s not a huge ask and those are the normal time slots they use. Those 1am eastern games still pull in great ratings and it’s not like college football isn’t the bad guy here, they are asking to play on the day they always do and technically the nfl is the one intruding. I also don’t think college football should be afraid of the nfl at all, CFb is on a roll and the nfl is on a decline currently.

I don’t see why not, it’s not a huge ask and those are the normal time slots they use. Those 1am eastern games still pull in great ratings and it’s not like college football isn’t the bad guy here, they are asking to play on the day they always do and technically the nfl is the one intruding. I also don’t think college football should be afraid of the nfl at all, CFb is on a roll and the nfl is on a decline currently.

i think the nfl is too full of itself to realise certain things and will probably see it as blasphemy when someone asks them for collaboration. "well do what we want when we want and youll like it" seems to be their mantra. "nice little season highlight you have there, would be a shame if something happened to it and we expanded our playoff and put a game there, wouldnt it?"

I’m trying to throw a championship party and watch football, not just chill and have some beers and head home early because some idiots scheduled a game on a Monday might when everyone has work the next day and just had a bunch of time off from the holidays. College football is meant for Saturday, Monday’s are for Netflix or some stupid other show and you know that.
It’s like you’ve never been to a Super Bowl party and gone to work hung over the next day...

There will always be money in bowl games, so they will never die. I like Nik's idea, or failing that, an 8 game playoff with 5 conference champs and 3 wildcards, no reserved G5 slot. Conferences want to know their championships have meaning. And even with the weak Pac-12 this year, USC finished 8th.

Please go back to the traditional bowl system. There is never an indisputable best team in college football...unless you build a playoff system that dumps all talent and resources into a few programs.

Back