What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP expanding to 8 teams before 2026 - CBS Sports

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Argument is that having a 4-team playoff can result in major regionalization of the teams playing which is a ratings killer versus what it would be with all regions participating like you have with the basketball tournament. Expectation is that it goes to 8 teams before the current contract is up.

A 16 game college season is asinine.
Why? The NFL plays 20 with the preseason games and then you might play another 4 games if you reach the championship. Most college football teams would still end up playing 13 games (regular season + bowl). You currently have a bunch of teams that play 14 (reg season + conf championship + bowl or playoff) with 2 teams usually playing 15 (made championship game). All we're talking about here is increasing the 15-game teams from 2 to 4 and having 2 teams play a 16th game. That's very little change in the overall scope of things.

Why? The NFL plays 20 with the preseason games and then you might play another 4 games if you reach the championship. Most college football teams would still end up playing 13 games (regular season + bowl). You currently have a bunch of teams that play 14 (reg season + conf championship + bowl or playoff) with 2 teams usually playing 15 (made championship game). All we're talking about here is increasing the 15-game teams from 2 to 4 and having 2 teams play a 16th game. That's very little change in the overall scope of things.

Because this isn't the NFL and I've heard this "but we're only increasing it by one for a small handful of teams!" argument before. I don't know what you do, but I'm not sure if it's the right way forward to just keep adding inventory in order to keep up with the Joneses and chase the ESPN/FOX money (that, in case of a few conferences, may not be there anymore when the next round of TV contracts is to be negotiated as ESPN may have massively overextended itself with some of the longterm deals it signed) to grow revenues, erm, sorry, establish a system to find a true and meaningful champion.

But then I'd also be in favor of scrapping the bowl system as the bowls do absolutely nothing for me. Dunno, maybe I'm just ranting and venting as the all-SEC CCG is massively pissing me off and I see a serious threat of a B1G/SEC duopoly just completely wiping the floor with anything financially and media coverage wise.

Because this isn't the NFL and I've heard this "but we're only increasing it by one for a small handful of teams!" argument before. I don't know what you do, but I'm not sure if it's the right way forward to just keep adding inventory in order to keep up with the Joneses and chase the ESPN/FOX money (that, in case of a few conferences, may not be there anymore when the next round of TV contracts is to be negotiated as ESPN may have massively overextended itself with some of the longterm deals it signed) to grow revenues, erm, sorry, establish a system to find a true and meaningful champion.

But then I'd also be in favor of scrapping the bowl system as the bowls do absolutely nothing for me. Dunno, maybe I'm just ranting and venting as the all-SEC CCG is massively pissing me off and I see a serious threat of a B1G/SEC duopoly just completely wiping the floor with anything financially and media coverage wise.
Huh.

Don’t want CFB like NFL. I like it is different. I’m not in favor of expanding post season. As a matter of fact, I’d like to see it contract (which I realize will probably never happen). Reduce the number of bowls and keep the playoff small.

Don’t want CFB like NFL. I like it is different. I’m not in favor of expanding post season. As a matter of fact, I’d like to see it contract (which I realize will probably never happen). Reduce the number of bowls and keep the playoff small.
It is hard for me to understand why someone would feel this way. Please explain without using nostalgia.

It is hard for me to understand why someone would feel this way. Please explain without using nostalgia.
Because the college football regular season is the best thing ever. The way conference play is set up where you play rivals for 9 games straight and you can’t let up and then even if you get through that you have a tough matchup in the conference championship game and even if you do that you still have to look good doing it. I definitely dont hate the nfl but it’s not hard to understand why people love college football more.

If you want ready made for TV football product, that's super polished and mainly interested in growing revenues .... well, I hear the CFL is nice.

Because the college football regular season is the best thing ever. The way conference play is set up where you play rivals for 9 games straight and you can’t let up and then even if you get through that you have a tough matchup in the conference championship game and even if you do that you still have to look good doing it. I definitely dont hate the nfl but it’s not hard to understand why people love college football more.
Meh. Every game is still hugely important and it culminates in an epic playoff. Imagine if the 2001 Buffs had this opportunity.

Plus, you could start the playoffs earlier with other bowl games along the holiday season. That is allsome

Meh. Every game is still hugely important and it culminates in an epic playoff. Imagine if the 2001 Buffs had this opportunity.

Plus, you could start the playoffs earlier with other bowl games along the holiday season. That is allsome
But it’s not equally as important, there is no way you can say that because there would be six guaranteed spots with the 5 conferences and an auto G5 bid. It would be different and there is absolutely no issue with how it is right now. The peach bowl, cotton bowl and orange bowl were all good games too so it’s not like it is hurting the competitiveness of the other big bowls. There is one reason for it to expand and that is all about money which is why I’m against it. And that 2001 buffs team would have gotten worked anyways, they got worked by the ducks and Nebraska got killed by Miami.

It’d be nice to see what Big 10 Champ Ohio State could have done after crushing USC in the Rose Bowl. Be nice to see what undefeated UCF could have done after beating Auburn. Wisconsin as a one loss, P5 team should have been given a shot after beating Miami.

This is off the cuff, so I may change my mind later, but to take a crack at this thing:

The way I see, the NFL does a better job of appealing to the American sports fan with football and CBB does a better job than CFB of competing with its pro league counterpart.

So I'm looking to take the best from both.

With the NFL, I think the "best" is the feeling fans have that they have a chance to win a championship with free agency, a hard cap, a draft, equal revenue and 12/32 teams (37.5%) making the tournament with a shot to win it all every year.

With CBB, I think the "best" is that it has a tournament that creates incredible moments and Cinderella stories while involving the whole country's regions while also getting to a championship "Final Four" round where the elite teams playing their best at that time will match up.

CFB can't emulate the total parity of the NFL from a financial standpoint, so it needs to follow its own model from CBB to create those Cinderella stories.

CFB also needs to avoid the problem of CBB where the regular season is kind of lame and it's all about the conference tourney & NCAA tourney.

How best to apply these things to CFB?

1. I'd make it so that we have 4 conferences with 16 teams playing 2-round championships. Pod scheduling to emphasize regional rivalry games that will be well attended, but no "divisions" and no consideration to a "pod championship" mattering in terms of who makes the playoff.

2. Conference semi-finals are the 4 highest ranked teams within the conference at the end of the year. 1 & 2 seeds host the semi-final games at their home stadiums.

3. Conference championship is the next round of the playoff and this is played at a neutral site within the footprint.

4. The 4 winners are then the national playoff. Many years a total underdog that started the playoffs outside the Top 10 or even the Top 20 will make it. That's a good thing (our "Cinderella Story").

5. I wouldn't even seed these teams in a traditional way. PAC and B1G champs should play each other in the Rose Bowl (Los Angeles). SEC and ACC champs should play each other in the Peach Bowl (Atlanta).

6. Then, championship game would be those winners on a rotation between the Cotton (Dallas), Orange (Miami), Fiesta (Phoenix) and Sugar (New Orleans) sites.

7. This is actually a 16-team playoff and I believe every program in the country would think it had a chance to make the tournament (only have to finish Top 4 in your conference), every region would be well represented for viewership every year, you'd have some Cinderella years, and at the end you'd crown a champion it would be hard to argue with being deserving.

8. To your earlier concern, @Jens1893 , this would actually reduce the number of games a team might potentially play. Everybody still plays 12 in the regular season. Another 8 teams would play 13 (conf semi losers), another 4 would play 14 (conf final losers), another 2 would play 15 (conf final losers) and then 2 would play 16 (championship game attendees).

9. Because this would likely kill the bowl games, I think it would justify adding a pre-season scrimmage or two against FCS level teams to further increase revenues with those extra events added to the season ticket packages -- which would save football finances at those lower levels as an additional benefit because of the big paydays for visiting. There would have to be a rule that no FCS opponents are allowed on the regular season schedules.

10. A really nice side benefit here is that there wouldn't be a reason to care about unbalanced schedules, who a team avoided during its conference slate, whether the conference played 8 or 9 conference games in the regular season, or whether a team played all P5 opponents in the non-conference or all G5 opponents or whatever. It would all be about being ranked high enough to make your conference tourney and then winning it to get into the Final Four.

This is off the cuff, so I may change my mind later, but to take a crack at this thing:

The way I see, the NFL does a better job of appealing to the American sports fan with football and CBB does a better job than CFB of competing with its pro league counterpart.

So I'm looking to take the best from both.

With the NFL, I think the "best" is the feeling fans have that they have a chance to win a championship with free agency, a hard cap, a draft, equal revenue and 12/32 teams (37.5%) making the tournament with a shot to win it all every year.

With CBB, I think the "best" is that it has a tournament that creates incredible moments and Cinderella stories while involving the whole country's regions while also getting to a championship "Final Four" round where the elite teams playing their best at that time will match up.

CFB can't emulate the total parity of the NFL from a financial standpoint, so it needs to follow its own model from CBB to create those Cinderella stories.

CFB also needs to avoid the problem of CBB where the regular season is kind of lame and it's all about the conference tourney & NCAA tourney.

How best to apply these things to CFB?

1. I'd make it so that we have 4 conferences with 16 teams playing 2-round championships. Pod scheduling to emphasize regional rivalry games that will be well attended, but no "divisions" and no consideration to a "pod championship" mattering in terms of who makes the playoff.

2. Conference semi-finals are the 4 highest ranked teams within the conference at the end of the year. 1 & 2 seeds host the semi-final games at their home stadiums.

3. Conference championship is the next round of the playoff and this is played at a neutral site within the footprint.

4. The 4 winners are then the national playoff. Many years a total underdog that started the playoffs outside the Top 10 or even the Top 20 will make it. That's a good thing (our "Cinderella Story").

5. I wouldn't even seed these teams in a traditional way. PAC and B1G champs should play each other in the Rose Bowl (Los Angeles). SEC and ACC champs should play each other in the Peach Bowl (Atlanta).

6. Then, championship game would be those winners on a rotation between the Cotton (Dallas), Orange (Miami), Fiesta (Phoenix) and Sugar (New Orleans) sites.

7. This is actually a 16-team playoff and I believe every program in the country would think it had a chance to make the tournament (only have to finish Top 4 in your conference), every region would be well represented for viewership every year, you'd have some Cinderella years, and at the end you'd crown a champion it would be hard to argue with being deserving.

8. To your earlier concern, @Jens1893 , this would actually reduce the number of games a team might potentially play. Everybody still plays 12 in the regular season. Another 8 teams would play 13 (conf semi losers), another 4 would play 14 (conf final losers), another 2 would play 15 (conf final losers) and then 2 would play 16 (championship game attendees).

9. Because this would likely kill the bowl games, I think it would justify adding a pre-season scrimmage or two against FCS level teams to further increase revenues with those extra events added to the season ticket packages -- which would save football finances at those lower levels as an additional benefit because of the big paydays for visiting. There would have to be a rule that no FCS opponents are allowed on the regular season schedules.

10. A really nice side benefit here is that there wouldn't be a reason to care about unbalanced schedules, who a team avoided during its conference slate, whether the conference played 8 or 9 conference games in the regular season, or whether a team played all P5 opponents in the non-conference or all G5 opponents or whatever. It would all be about being ranked high enough to make your conference tourney and then winning it to get into the Final Four.

This is far too well thought out and sensible for it to ever be remotely considered. Congrats, nik!

Argument is that having a 4-team playoff can result in major regionalization of the teams playing which is a ratings killer versus what it would be with all regions participating like you have with the basketball tournament. Expectation is that it goes to 8 teams before the current contract is up.

He doesn’t get a vote. Rose Bowl and Sugar ratings through the roof. Commissioners, Swarbuck and CFP execs very happy with the product and buzz that four teams creates. And besides, those same Commissioners are not going to give up their CCGs so the playoff can be expanded. Ain’t gonna happen anytime soon. At least 6 more years of four teams.

Back