What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP-With Right HC and 8 teams, this is not unrealistic

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
So a lot of people on AB have been debating how serious RG is about championships and how realistic that is even with a great HC. There is also a lot of chatter (or perhaps commitment to?) moving to an 8 team CFP.

You guys know that before UW kicked our ass in the Pac 12 championship, just 2 years ago, we were the 8th ranked team in the CFP rankings? Also most people assume that if we go to an 8 team CFP, the winner of each P5 would be automatically in. That's how close we were with Mac. Imagine if we had someone a little better at recruiting (OK a lot better) and better at winning the big games.

I do not think shooting for CFP is unrealistic on the part of RG. Look at the Pac the last few years. It is winnable. Not every year of course, but with the right HC, the right coordinators and strong recruiting, CU has enough going for it to content for Pac 12 championships AND therefore to be in the race for the CFP especially if and when it expands to 8 teams.

8 team makes more sense. Stupid 4 team BS makes no sense. I like the idea of every P5 conference champion being in the playoffs.
Agreed. I was personally having a hard time believing it was realistic for us to get an HC who could get us to the CFP anytime soon and then I thought about the move to 8 teams and it became much more realistic to me. Again, I wouldn't expect it every year but it seems like RG is not selling hot air, he not only believes it, but it is also reachable. As many have said we already have top tier facilities, as the Mac 1 noted, it is not that hard to sell a kid on CU and Boulder if we are winning. And the Pac is a more winnable conference than the SEC.

The Pac 12 is pretty wide open. UW is the class of the conference on a consistent basis and they are not world beaters. If SC can make the right hire, that changes things, but until then, CU is positioned well to compete for the division and ultimately the conference over the next few years if the right coach and staff are brought in.

Another matter is that in an 8 team playoff, CU doesn't even have to win the Pac 12 to get in. Conceivably, you might expect that things usually shake out as follows: the winner of each of the five major conferences, the best mid-major team (or ND), the second-best SEC team, and an 8th team each go to the playoff. While you might imagine the final spot going to the second-best big 10 team in most years, it seems to me that it could also go to the second-best Pac 12 team, in the right circumstances.

There is zero actual indication 8 teams is going to happen anytime soon, but yes, it makes worlds more sense. And encourages better OOC scheduling. And brings the focus back to conference championship races, which I think is better for college football.

There is zero actual indication 8 teams is going to happen anytime soon, but yes, it makes worlds more sense. And encourages better OOC scheduling. And brings the focus back to conference championship races, which I think is better for college football.
I'd like to see the P5 champs plus the 3 highest ranked teams by the CFP committee as a playoff. Better than having those 4 teams in NY6 bowls that don't have a lot of meaning any more. The bowl era is over, but the NCAA moves so slowly on this kind of thing.

If, or should I when, it expands to 8 I'm not at all a fan of auto bids going to the P5 champs unless they get rid of divisions. Take the 8 best teams but I still think the playoff format is best right now with just 4 teams.

Classic boyd.
Didn't you miss having another optimist here on AB the past few years I have been absent? I think I am a reasoned, logical optimist although you never know. As Slider says, however, it is not that much of a stretch. As recently as 2 years ago, in week 13 the Buffs were ranked 8th in the CFP. That was with HCMM, his staff and his recruits.

Are you really prepared to say RG is smoking that Colorado weed when he says he wants a coach he buys into the vision that CU should be competing for Pac 12 championships and at least in the running for the CFP? For me, if we go to an 8 team playoff, and if RG makes the right hire, I think within 3-5 years we are legitimately in the hunt for the CFP. Now, if either of those things don't happen (go from 4-8, or we don't really hire a highly capable HC) than its much more of a stretch.

I wonder if NY6 bowls would go for that.
I can't see neutral site playoff games for a quarterfinal round being all that well attended. That's a lot of travel for football fans that have already had a conference championship neutral site (most likely) and would then have (they hope) 2 more neutral site games after this. They'd have to do it on campus rather than put 4 bowl sites into the playoff.

Well, this is the NCAA. The wouldn't "have to". But it would be stupid not to go with home stadiums for a quarterfinal round.

Anymore it seems like the best non-playoff "bowl games" are the early season neutral site games like the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Classic and in Jerryworld. These games feature bowl game like payoffs and hype and have great attendance (every team is optimistic at season's start!). It is easier for fans to travel to because they know well in advance and the weather is better so cities that aren't usually in "bowl territory" can be considered.

Besides the bowl games aren't really about rewarding "good seasons" they were designed to attract big money schools with huge followings as a tourist trap.

I could see how an expanded playoff would push more of the bowl games to do early season games like this (and that would be even better, in my opinion). That way there isn't a bunch of 6-6 matchups against teams nobody cares about and the schools lose money on traveling to anyway.

Anymore it seems like the best non-playoff "bowl games" are the early season neutral site games like the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Classic and in Jerryworld. These games feature bowl game like payoffs and hype and have great attendance (every team is optimistic at season's start!). It is easier for fans to travel to because they know well in advance and the weather is better so cities that aren't usually in "bowl territory" can be considered.

Besides the bowl games aren't really about rewarding "good seasons" they were designed to attract big money schools with huge followings as a tourist trap.

I could see how an expanded playoff would push more of the bowl games to do early season games like this (and that would be even better, in my opinion). That way there isn't a bunch of 6-6 matchups against teams nobody cares about and the schools lose money on traveling to anyway.
Like basketball with the early season tournaments, maybe what we'll see is more of these neutral site events during the first month of the season and then after the season will be for the conference championships and playoff. I don't know what it will be in 10 or 20 years, but I'm confident that it will be different than it is today.

8 teams is inevitable, but it'll be bowl games rotating through again for the quarters. Probably play them around Christmas.

The interesting thing would be if the big boys, ie the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls, would go for it.

Get rid of divisions and play the CCGs at the #1 teams home field. Then rotate the NY6 bowls as the 4 quarterfinal games and 2 semi final games at neutral sites. Easy peazy

I´d like to bump this for 2 reasons.
1-there is a lot of smoke for the 8 team playoff. (example: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...xpand-college-football-playoff-favors-8-teams)

2-when I started this thread we didn't know who the HC would be. Now that we know it is MT and we are witnessing his early efforts to bring big boy football back to CU, I feel like HCMT, no excuses, green grass and opportunity believes in RGs vision of Pac 12 championships and competing sometimes at least for CFP as well.

I am not saying he will get us there as it is way too early to tell, but do ABers have more or less believe that CU could reach a CFP in the next 3-5 years with HCMT?

TBH, if I were to place a Vegas bet with my head and not my heart, I would bet on us going to the CFP with the current 4 team playoff, but I could see us getting there with the 8 team especially if the Pac 12 champion got an automatic bid as I think the Pac is winnable and I believe HCMT could get us there within a few years.

I´d like to bump this for 2 reasons.
1-there is a lot of smoke for the 8 team playoff. (example: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...xpand-college-football-playoff-favors-8-teams)

2-when I started this thread we didn't know who the HC would be. Now that we know it is MT and we are witnessing his early efforts to bring big boy football back to CU, I feel like HCMT, no excuses, green grass and opportunity believes in RGs vision of Pac 12 championships and competing sometimes at least for CFP as well.

I am not saying he will get us there as it is way too early to tell, but do ABers have more or less believe that CU could reach a CFP in the next 3-5 years with HCMT?

TBH, if I were to place a Vegas bet with my head and not my heart, I would bet on us going to the CFP with the current 4 team playoff, but I could see us getting there with the 8 team especially if the Pac 12 champion got an automatic bid as I think the Pac is winnable and I believe HCMT could get us there within a few years.
If CFP stays at four, no, not in the next 5 years. If PAC 12 has an auto bid, sure, it’s possible. Certainly not likely, but possible.

Eight teams will see great resistance from the Rose Bowl’s owners (B1G and P12). This is a huge event with traditions that the two conferences don’t want to give up. Most eight team playoff models would minimize the role of these big time bowls. It was already a sticky issue in getting the current system.

Eight teams will see great resistance from the Rose Bowl’s owners (B1G and P12). This is a huge event with traditions that the two conferences don’t want to give up. Most eight team playoff models would minimize the role of these big time bowls. It was already a sticky issue in getting the current system.
The P12 and B1G aren’t going to resist a system that gives each conference an auto bid in a path to the NC along with tens of millions of dollars a year.

The P12 and B1G aren’t going to resist a system that gives each conference an auto bid in a path to the NC along with tens of millions of dollars a year.

You should tell that to Jim Delaney. The current playoff model had to make significant accommodation to the Rose Bowl to even happen. A system that castrates the RBG is not something he’s going to permit without a significant fight.

You should tell that to Jim Delaney. The current playoff model had to make significant accommodation to the Rose Bowl to even happen. A system that castrates the RBG is not something he’s going to permit without a significant fight.
Posturing to get some things you want isn’t the same thing as opposing.

Posturing to get some things you want isn’t the same thing as opposing.

Explain to me what happens to the NY6 bowls’ relevance in a world with the playoff having 8 teams and the owners of the RBG guaranteed to have inferior teams in their game.

8 may very well happen. But, it is not a slam dunk. The big bowls will really fight hard against them. The Rose Bowl is the biggest hurdle.

Explain to me what happens to the NY6 bowls’ relevance in a world with the playoff having 8 teams and the owners of the RBG guaranteed to have inferior teams in their game.
Why? I didn’t say it was a perfect dream scenario for every possible party. I said the PAC12 and B1G untimely aren’t going to fight against something that would give them a playoff autobid and tens of millions of more dollars. And I’m still saying that. And it’s all I’m saying.

Why? I didn’t say it was a perfect dream scenario for every possible party. I said the PAC12 and B1G untimely aren’t going to fight against something that would give them a playoff autobid and tens of millions of more dollars. And I’m still saying that. And it’s all I’m saying.

All I am saying is that it is not more money for either conference. The conferences own the RB game. It is one of the conferences’ biggest source of revenue. It’s a big uphill battle

Back