What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Changing coaches alone won't fix CU football.

BlackNGold

Club Member
CU did not get here overnight and it will take many changes to return CU to any kind of relevance. I have been watching CU football since Sonny Grandelius was the coach. During that time success always came back to the ability to recruit. CU is not in a recruiting Hotbed, so the ability to recruit has always been a cornerstone to CU success. A big part of that is support for getting players accepted into CU. The Academic side of the house has always been a challenge for CU.

Over the last 20+ years academic side of the house has put up many roadblocks to recruiting. This was starting before McCartney retired, Neuheisel alluded to it when he left to go to Washington with his "Colorado has everything money can't buy!" Comment.

When Barnett took over recruiting was getting more difficult but CU still had good Brand and recruiting pipelines into California and Texas. Barnett was determined to battle through those limitations until the fake scandal occurred and then he was pretty powerless when it came to recruiting. Since that time CU has not had many coaches the emphasized recruiting, Hawkins early on but he lost interest, Embree was trying to improve recruiting but was in over his head overall, McIntyre was a horrible recruiter and seemed to have little interest in improving that area, Tucker was a good recruiter but one of the reasons he left was he was not able to get kids into CU ( he stated privately the CU did not come through with things he was promised), Dorrell was a poor recruiter at UCLA which is located in one of the great recruiting hotbeds, he has no clue.

CU has let those recruiting pipelines dry up, the CU brand has greatly diminished because of poor on the field performance and the PAC 12 media problems. Hot coaches don't want to come to CU because it is a place that is perceived to be difficult to win.

If CU is going to be successful in football, it has to start with the administration making a commitment to making concessions in the admissions of student athletes and JUCO transfers. Just hiring a hot coaching name and not fixing the system will just prolong the agony.

I actually think Rick George is the right guy. He knows recruiting and he knows what the problems at the school are - he hired Tucker and tried to hire Sarkisian. I really want to know who pushed the button on Karl Dorrell - I just do not believe it was RG.

There is a lot to fix with CU Football and it is going to take more than a new coach, and/or AD. There has to be fundamental change throughout the University.

Boosters are burned out with unfulfilled promises. Now our most visible boosters are Twitter stars Kelli Brooks and Jerdough - their tweets are not helping.

They have to fire Dorrell, but without some other changes the result is going to be the same.

Spot on.

KD is a terrible choice as coach but until other things are fixed it won't matter who the coach is.

This is all accurate and I agree (except for the RG thing because **** that guy) but if you have a house that is completely run down and needs a gutting, but the kitchen is on fire, it’s ok to put the fire out in the kitchen before you fix other things. Will stopping the kitchen fire fix the house? **** no. But it doesn’t mean you should let the thing burn.

This Is Fine GIF

Yes.

Also, OF COURSE the head coach hire matters.

Everything BnG mentions is what prevents a struggling program making bowl games every year. It does not absolve ****ty coaches completely in over their heads.
Of course the head coach matters and one of the roadblocks to getting the right coach is lack of institutional support. It ends up being a circular argument. I don't think the coach can overcome the roadblocks - Tucker did not feel he could. Dorrell is without a doubt one of the worst head coaches at this level I have every seen. He was poor at UCLA but now it appears he is mailing it in.

Listen, if Mike MacIntyre can get a team to 10 wins here, then admissions/admin issues did not handcuff him. A non-weenie head guy that recruits his ass off and promotes the program with a vision can easily make it to 6 wins a year.

Can admissions/admin stop you from becoming a perennial conference contender? Definitely. But let’s not try to run before we learn to stop ****ting down our own leg.

Listen, if Mike MacIntyre can get a team to 10 wins here, then admissions/admin issues did not handcuff him. A non-weenie head guy that recruits his ass off and promotes the program with a vision can easily make it to 6 wins a year.

Can admissions/admin stop you from becoming a perennial conference contender? Definitely. But let’s not try to run before we learn to stop ****ting down our own leg.
poop diarrhea GIF

I would argue that weak admin support viewed that ten win season and came to the conclusion that what it was doing was adequate. That they had finally found their unicorn, and that no additional investment in the program was necessary. Sure, we can catch lightning in a bottle every once in a while and have a nice season, but it’s fleeting and unsustainable.

Of course the head coach matters and one of the roadblocks to getting the right coach is lack of institutional support. It ends up being a circular argument. I don't think the coach can overcome the roadblocks - Tucker did not feel he could. Dorrell is without a doubt one of the worst head coaches at this level I have every seen. He was poor at UCLA but now it appears he is mailing it in.
There is nothing standing in the way of hiring a G5 guy that brings a schematic advantage. Look at what is happening at Kansas now that they've made a hire that makes a modicum of sense

To contend for championships, BnG is right. That isn't going to happen until the academics stop believing we're Stanford simply because we're in the same conference with them.

To get back to bowls? No. That's just going to take dumping the current dunce and finding a guy who understands how the game is played now and isn't going to sit on his laurels first sign of success like FHCMM did in 2017 and 2018.

I've been told that getting just about any HS kid into CU is not a problem at this point in time. If they qualify through the NCAA, CU can get them in.

The admissions issues is solely with transfers. The School has made arbitrary restrictions on transfers that just about no other School in the nation has to contend with. This is where PD is sorely out of touch and RG has obviously not pushed this hard enough.

Fix that, and CU could turn around in 2 years very quickly with the right person at head coach.

Whoever the next coach is will have to hit the transfer portal hard to turn over the roster and get some players in here who are difference makers. That will require buy in from the admin to get these kids in to the school.

Back