What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Mac's Football Fix and Feast

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
buffdude posts a lot on the premium sites (got this from AZ's) and asked me to re-post something here. It's good stuff from last Friday and a good cause. I assume there's another one tonight. Here goes:

Man, this was great tonight and is going to turn into a good event going forward. Good meal from Pasta Jay's followed by Coach Mac, CJ, Brian Cabral, and even Ed Reinhardt got up and spoke. I took a few videos on my phone of CJ, Cabral and Mac that I'll try to look at tomorrow and post if they are any good. Mac is fired up about growing this event into a big thing and gave a good talk as always. He wants our rival to be UCLA, but spent time asking the crowd who they thought it should be and got a bunch of different answers. He thinks we need a red letter game and there's no need to just let it develop, but to pick someone and call them out. Personally, I'm for USC. Cabral talked a bit about Mac hiring him right before he headed back to Chicago to try and start a career. CJ is so well spoken and such a great ambassador for our program. Mac said something about him I'll try to remember to share in chat. Anyway, if you are in the area and can attend it's only going to get better. They plan on having all the current coaching staff there on one night or another so people can get to know them.

Plus this follow-up info:

They got a late start promoting this thing and so they haven't sold all the 'season tickets' yet. They may do a pay per event thing until all of them are sold, but I'm betting they get a bunch more season ticket buyers over the next couple weeks and then there won't be anymore of the pay per event stuff.

As full disclosure, I'm helping Mark and Mac market and grow the event so I have a real interest in watching this develop into something special. Coach Mac wants to be involved in CU athletics in a way that doesn't take attention away from the current staff, and concurrently helps Embo and crew garner some support for the time it will take them to get this thing rolling. One of the long term goals is to contribute monetarily to CU athletics through ticket costs or some other means. If this thing does develop as planned and attendance grows then the original 50 members will probably have some perks in terms of seating and other things yet to be determined. The ticket if fully transferable too, meaning you can split it with people or let someone use it if you can't go.

As an FYI for you all, Coach Mac is on 93.7 (you can stream in online) with Mac and Doog at 4:40pm every Monday for a segment called "Football's here, goodbye dear". Mark told me that Mac doesn't wing anything, and so every Monday they end up meeting for 60-90 minutes in the morning to go over what will take 15 minutes on air. Mac had pages of notes tonight and he's taking this event pretty seriously.

Wish I lived down there to go to this. Now that the old man is back in town, better tell him about this so he maybe buys the season tix!

From last night's event (courtesy of buffdude):

Coach Mac spoke first tonight and talked about how the CU-CSU game hadn't been played for 25 years, until 1983 when he was the coach. Eddie Crowder called him into his office the week before the game, which Mac says he rarely ever did, and told him how important this game was to him. So Mac said the team had a meeting where he did the same thing I've heard him speak of a couple times before. He got everyone in a room and asked them what he could expect from each one of them in the game. Vince Rafferty got up first and took a 3 point stance and yelled, "Coach, I'm going to kill everything that moves!" That started the ball rolling and guys got emotional, Mac said guys were sobbing while talking about the effort they were going to give. Then they came out during the game and "knocked them into tomorrow" and he said CSU wanted no part of it. I was surprised to hear him say it was one of his favorite games at CU.

One of the best parts of this thing is getting to hear from the new coaches and tonight it was Rip Scherer. He was a great speaker and has a good sense of humor. This guy has some serious credentials and is still down to earth and humble. Played under Lou Holtz at William & Mary, his dad was a long time high school coach and great friends with Joe Paterno. He remembers Paterno sleeping on the family couch at their home when he was young kid and Paterno was getting started in coaching. He's got a son at PSU now. He brought up that when he was a coach at Arizona they thought what Mac was doing here with the flex I bone was so intriguing that they came up during the middle of the season for a week to learn how it worked. They went home and implemented a bunch of it and beat UCLA the next week when the Bruins were around 5th or 6th in the country. Coached Derek Anderson at Cleveland during his pro bowl season in 2007. He also talked about the life blood of the program being recruiting and his quip was, "Recruiting is a lot like shaving, if you don't do it everyday you kind of look like a bum." He talked about how many coaches he's been around in all his years coaching and that Embree has what it takes to be a great one. That in a few years we will have to fight off the schools that will be coming after him. He sounded very sincere in saying this...it definitely wasn't a lip service type of thing.

The highlight of the night was probably Marty Cone who played here early in the Mac years. He is one off the wall dude and has a great speaking style. His stories from the early days and getting ready for the CSU game were outstanding. He 'hates' everything about them, their town, Horsetooth reservoir...you name it and he mentioned that he hated it. He also can't stand Nebraska and anything about them. One of his jokes was that when he had to go to Omaha one time somebody asked him what he was doing there and his answer was "leaving." When the event was wrapping up he came up one more time and walked up to Coach Mac, took off his watch and said "Mac, you gave me this watch in 1983. It quit working in 1986 and hasn't worked since." Then he smashed it on the ground and yelled "We're going to beat CSU!"

Dave Hestera and Dave Thistle also came with Marty and said a few words about the early days and preparing for CSU.

The event is starting to pick up steam and people are getting excited. It has a different feel than the Buff Club luncheons etc. Next week we should have Rodney Stewart with the Ohio connection and OSU coming up. Not sure on the coach yet.

If any of you guys are local and want to come and attend one event just PM me and I'll see about getting you in. We're going to get this thing rolling and want people to check it out and get committed. Cost is $25 and includes about as much great food as you can eat.

Back