What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cody was OK, but...

I thought Cody was great considering it is his first start in college....what more were people looking for? And as for arm strength....he made every throw asked of him including the deep out.

I am very happy with Cody's performance. He stayed poised and played well under pressure. He brought them back from a seamingly insurmountable 28-17 deficit. A Barnett lead team would have folded like a cheap tent.

Great win for the kids.

I take back anything negative I said or implied about Cody. For his first game, in that situation, he was awesome. It feels so damned good to wake up today with an opening win over the hated rammies. Especially compared to last year after losing to a 1-AA team and then the rammies! Cody wasn't perfect, but he is a helluva improvement over last year. He will only get better as will the team. My big concern is the D. I hope to hell that Sipili comes back! And soon!

No doubt you'd love to stir that ****.

Oh yeah...I love to stir the ****...at least I don't make up stories and lie like you do to get people to feel sorry for you.

If Ballinger comes along, obviously he could give Cody a run for the position.

I thought Cody did really well yesterday...I was very impressed with his poise and I already knew he could run the offense with his eyes closed...but if he stumbles at some point, I just know there will be people like YOU quesitoning his size and his "small hands"...you recall that bull****, right?

Based on what? I've been to the scrimmages and alot of practices. Explain why.

BAsed on what I've heard...that he's got the size, the tools and "looks" like a QB...I'm not saying this season, but the future.

Isn't that what recruiting is about? Getting different guys in the pipeline in the event one doesn't work out?

I found it interesting that the tv commentators said more than once that Hawkins had to play his 4th string QB in BJax last year. 4th STRING! And now BJax isn't anywhere to be seen.

No one ever knows what will happen down the road.

I have no way of knowing, other than what I have heard/read, that Ballenger will be the next CU QB...only that he has a lot of potential to be.

I like ballenger too. But i think hawk will be our starter from now on. He has the leadership and the football IQ that you expect from your qb. Who knows maybe matt will make a case for the starting job. But thats next year. I am focused on this year. GO BUFFS!

Cody lacks the arm strength for the deep ball. He is an accuracy guy. His other achiles heal is that he is less than 6' tall and that is why he had either two or three tips today.

I went back and watched the game this morning. Out of the four tips that occurred yesterday, only one seemed semi due to Cody's height, and that was the last one. It came right after a tip on the previous play. On both plays CSU was putting a lot of pressure on the pocket. Even on this last tip, the defender was in the passing lane with his hands up and jumping. I'm no expert but it seemed to me that the offensive line was having trouble keeping there defenders on the ground in the third. I think its mostly due to growing pains. I wouldn't be worried by it. Even a 6'6" QB wouldn't have gotten those passes over those defenders.

Cody looked fine to me.. Not sure what game you guys were watching.. So he isn't going to be a 1st round draft pick.. Doesn't mean he can't be a successful college QB..

Geez, and I'm the one here usually getting criticized for being negative.. :sad2:

REP!!!

gotta agree with lb on the awareness factor... there was one play in the first quarter where the camera angle was behind the qb before and right after the snap. so, i had something similar to cody's view of the defense. it was clear that the csu backers were coming on a blitz to cody's right. he dropped back and KNEW he'd have the te on the cross because the backers weren't home. they were coming for him. he immediately hit the te in stride. basically, that was a text book "read and react" play. he isn't that imposing physically, but he's got a ton of football iq. that doesn't mean he won't make mistakes this year--- see the fumbled snap and the int, among other things. but, he is a gamer and he's smart. he's not ideal in size or strength, but i'll take a smart guy with more limited physical skills (klatt) over a guy who is more physically gifted but can't make all the reads (bjax) any day of the week.

as far as ballenger goes, that is a discussion for down the road. he DOES have all the physical stuff you want. he's tall, strong, athletic, and reasonably quick, and he has a good arm. he's got a big learning curve on the x's and o's side of things and we will see if he is up to it. it will be a process. annointing cody as a 4 year starter (or a 1 year starter, gateway, lol) after one game seems to be jumping the gun.

he is not big time, IMO. I hope he doesn't deter CU from recruiting big time QB's. The fact that he is the coaches kid could hurt us.

Freshman, first game, Big rivalry game, down 11, 3 mins into 4th quarter and Cody leads the team to a win. You are crazy if you are critisizing this kid. He found a way to get a W and that is an intangible we need badly. He will grow and get stronger and more importantly smarter and more experienced, I am very excited about the next 4 years.

I thought that was the center's fault. It looked like pre-mature ejectulation. :lol:

They said it was the center's fault...it was obvious Cody wasn't ready...didn't signal and then the snap went sideways.

The QB gets blamed even when it's not his fault.

gotta agree with lb on the awareness factor... there was one play in the first quarter where the camera angle was behind the qb before and right after the snap. so, i had something similar to cody's view of the defense. it was clear that the csu backers were coming on a blitz to cody's right. he dropped back and KNEW he'd have the te on the cross because the backers weren't home. they were coming for him. he immediately hit the te in stride. basically, that was a text book "read and react" play. he isn't that imposing physically, but he's got a ton of football iq. that doesn't mean he won't make mistakes this year--- see the fumbled snap and the int, among other things. but, he is a gamer and he's smart. he's not ideal in size or strength, but i'll take a smart guy with more limited physical skills (klatt) over a guy who is more physically gifted but can't make all the reads (bjax) any day of the week.

as far as ballenger goes, that is a discussion for down the road. he DOES have all the physical stuff you want. he's tall, strong, athletic, and reasonably quick, and he has a good arm. he's got a big learning curve on the x's and o's side of things and we will see if he is up to it. it will be a process. annointing cody as a 4 year starter (or a 1 year starter, gateway, lol) after one game seems to be jumping the gun.

All I was saying, is that there is the chance that Ballenger could make a run for the position. I don't think it will happen this year. I think Cody has it sewn up for this year with Nelson as the back-up.

But if we go 3-9 or something horrific like that, everyone will be screaming for something....and if we go 7-5 Cody will be secure.

Just musing...that's all. But it's a long season and anyone who thinks Cody is the second coming of Koy Detmer should wait awhile longer to see how it all pans out....however, I will say again, I thouht he did a good job yesterday with all the hype, etc. He handled it well.

BUT....if Eberhardt didn't make that FG and CSU came back and scored and we didn't..OT being a real bitch...what would everyone be saying today?! We won by a FG in OT against CSU for gawds sakes! WE didn't beat ND...Georgia Tech did. :huh:

Freshman, first game, Big rivalry game, down 11, 3 mins into 4th quarter and Cody leads the team to a win. You are crazy if you are critisizing this kid. He found a way to get a W and that is an intangible we need badly. He will grow and get stronger and more importantly smarter and more experienced, I am very excited about the next 4 years.

I refer you to my appology in post No. 33 above for my stupid. :smile2:

"I take back anything negative I said or implied about Cody. For his first game, in that situation, he was awesome. It feels so damned good to wake up today with an opening win over the hated rammies. Especially compared to last year after losing to a 1-AA team and then the rammies! Cody wasn't perfect, but he is a helluva improvement over last year. He will only get better as will the team. My big concern is the D. I hope to hell that Sipili comes back! And soon!"

I refer you to my appology in post No. 33 above for my stupid. :smile2:

"I take back anything negative I said or implied about Cody. For his first game, in that situation, he was awesome. It feels so damned good to wake up today with an opening win over the hated rammies. Especially compared to last year after losing to a 1-AA team and then the rammies! Cody wasn't perfect, but he is a helluva improvement over last year. He will only get better as will the team. My big concern is the D. I hope to hell that Sipili comes back! And soon!"

And the man in the pink suit must speak again and clarify his position.

Hey, pinkie...I got it the first time around. :thumbsup:

If you hung around FC more, we could call you two 'Pinky and the Brain', (since Pinky and the Ginormous Melon' doesn't work as well....):wink2:

Cody lacks the arm strength for the deep ball. He is an accuracy guy. His other achiles heal is that he is less than 6' tall and that is why he had either two or three tips today.

I would think that his arm would be strong enough to hit a WR 30-40 yards down field.

I would think that his arm would be strong enough to hit a WR 30-40 yards down field.

Maybe. His short height makes it hard for him to see and read the down field receiver unless he moves out of the pocket. A lot more is made out of height than should be. Doug Flutie made a lot of his short stature as well so don't take it to the bank.

Cody did well, he has lived football for 18 + years - a true student of the game. He has great character and work ethic. It will be interesting to see how things hold up against more athletic teams. I hope he has the durability to take the hits from the big boys. If you watched KSU's prototype Q (based on size) you see that Cody was more versatile (the KSU Q was injured however). Size does matter but T Tharp beat out larger QB's at Boise State. Time will tell. If he was 6"3" we would be having a parade!!

The kid is 60 - 0, I'll keep him.

Quoted. For. Truth.

Everything this kid lacks in height and physical ability, he makes up for in leadership and intelligence, which, honestly, i think is way more important at this point. He does thing that simply weren't possible for us last year.

I was going to put a complaint about him not trying to take the ball to the house himself at the end of regulation, but then I remembered we were out of timeouts and if he failed and got stopped short of the first, time would expire. Props to him for knowing the game situation better than me.

Back