What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football Imperialism Maps

A) why does Hawai’i still have any land in Colorado? Per imperialism, if we marched from Boulder, through Fort Collins, into Nebraska, all that **** would be ours.

2) good for Wazzu and Minnesota - two largest areas on the map.

What Hawaii has in Colorado is what they got when they beat CSU. They'll keep that until they get beat.

Agree with those who stated that they gave AFA to much territory to start with

If that is the case then the map needs some serious updating as it is very very wrong.
The preseason map gives the counties to the team closest to them.
Subsequent games transfer territory to the winner.
When we beat CSU, we got nothing, because CSU had nothing due to the Week zero loss to Hawaii.
When AFA lost to FAU, FAU took that territory.

Details here for the empires map: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/10/17838508/college-football-imperialism-map-week-2

2.gif

Week to week gif

The preseason map gives the counties to the team closest to them.
Subsequent games transfer territory to the winner.
When we beat CSU, we got nothing, because CSU had nothing due to the Week zero loss to Hawaii.
When AFA lost to FAU, FAU took that territory.

Details here for the empires map: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/10/17838508/college-football-imperialism-map-week-2
Again the map is wrong wrong wrong. Air Force is not closer to Wray CO or to Northeast Colorado than Boulder, nor Fort Collins. They just needed to consult google maps prior to their initial set up and they would be all good. Lol

Again the map is wrong wrong wrong. Air Force is not closer to Wray CO or to Northeast Colorado than Boulder, nor Fort Collins. They just needed to consult google maps prior to their initial set up and they would be all good. Lol
They're probably measuring from the county lines rather than the actual school locations. AFA is on the western edge of El Paso county, but that county goes pretty far east.

They're probably measuring from the county lines rather than the actual school locations. AFA is on the western edge of El Paso county, but that county goes pretty far east.
Bingo. There are a lot of ways to do this. One is to go by county seat location, another is the centroid, in this case they are probably going by linear distance between the closest part of the county.
I personally think the centroid would be a better representation.

Bingo. There are a lot of ways to do this. One is to go by county seat location, another is the centroid, in this case they are probably going by linear distance between the closest part of the county.
I personally think the centroid would be a better representation.
I think distance from centroid of county to actual school location would be "best."

A second best alternative (and maybe easier to program) could be distance from county seat to school location, or distance from largest city/town in county to school.

I think distance from centroid of county to actual school location would be "best."

A second best alternative (and maybe easier to program) could be distance from county seat to school location, or distance from largest city/town in county to school.
All three are easy with standard GIS software

This is kinda neat.

But you know what's interesting about this? In theory, a team could go undefeated and never gain any ground. If someone loses the game before they play you (regardless of their record otherwise), you get nothing week to week.

This thing still pisses me off. Now Army gets Hawaii’s/CSU’s land and we don’t show up in NH (or are getting covered by BC).
And Texas has nothing even though they just beat USC.

This thing still pisses me off. Now Army gets Hawaii’s/CSU’s land and we don’t show up in NH (or are getting covered by BC).
CSU lost their land to Hawaii. Hawaii lost their land to Army.

UNH is not only FCS, so they don't apply to the game, they lost all their land to Maine in game 1.

The only FCS teams on the map, are the ones that have beaten an FBS team this year.

CSU lost their land to Hawaii. Hawaii lost their land to Army.

UNH is not only FCS, so they don't apply to the game, they lost all their land to Maine in game 1.

The only FCS teams on the map, are the ones that have beaten an FBS team this year.
I understand all that. I don’t like it.
It reminds me a lot of when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

It's a shame that CSU didn't beat Hawaii and then lose to Arkansas for the same record. We'd have the connection to Nebraska in northern CO along with HI right now.

Back