What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Even though this is SEC talk, it's a pretty cool discussion about the scheduling system they will likely implement in 2024. Almost assuredly going to 9 conference games with 3 fixed rivals and 6 rotating matchups so everyone plays each other every 2 years.

View attachment 58997

Arkansas/LSU and Auburn/Florida should happen every year under that scenario.

Tennessee would need to play UGA, UK and Vandy every year, right?
Let's just say CU were to get invited to the B1G with Oregon, Washington and say Utah. What would CU's 3 fixed games be?

Nebraska and Utah feel like the obvious choices with Wisconsin, Michigan and USC/UCLA as the options for the third

Let's just say CU were to get invited to the B1G with Oregon, Washington and say Utah. What would CU's 3 fixed games be?

Nebraska and Utah feel like the obvious choices with Wisconsin, Michigan and USC/UCLA as the options for the third
A 20-team conference would have a different scheduling system than a 16-team. So I don't know

What I'm saying is that 3 fixed doesn't work with 20 if you're trying to get to scheduling balance. Unless you're going to play an 11 game conference schedule, I guess.
Understood. I guess I was just interested in a conversation around who CU’s fixed opponents might be if in a similar situation. I wasn’t trying to create a white paper scheduling analysis for the B1G in the event CU is included in a 20 team expansion

Understood. I guess I was just interested in a conversation around who CU’s fixed opponents might be if in a similar situation. I wasn’t trying to create a white paper scheduling analysis for the B1G in the event CU is included in a 20 team expansion
Nebraska, Utah and probably either Arizona or Kansas if one of those was included. If not included, probably Minnesota or maybe Iowa based on geography

Joel, who is married to Frances McDormand, who was a lead in Raising Arizona and Fargo, plus many other Coen brothers films.

Animated GIF
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but that right there is Holly Hunter, not Frances McDormand.

Even though this is SEC talk, it's a pretty cool discussion about the scheduling system they will likely implement in 2024. Almost assuredly going to 9 conference games with 3 fixed rivals and 6 rotating matchups so everyone plays each other every 2 years.

View attachment 58997

So what I got out of that was, the SEC hates Auburn

Last edited:
Bama and Tennessee fans would riot in that scenario.
Bama fans would want Auburn, LSU and Tennessee, I suppose. That's pretty brutal.

Not as bad as Auburn, who would need Bama but also need Georgia for the recruiting grounds.

In this new SEC, I think I'd want to be Mizzou. They'll probably get Arkansas, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

Tennessee would need to play UGA, UK and Vandy every year, right?

Tennessee is probably the toughest one to come up with their 3 permanent opponents because they have longtime, traditional rivalries with Bama, Vandy, and UK but also have good rivalries with UGA and Florida, albeit much shorter in length of the series. I would think they keep Vandy and UK due to proximity and being long-standing rivalries, and then Bama as their 3rd. Plus from a Bama perspective, it's almost certain that Tennesse would be one of their 3.

Bama fans would want Auburn, LSU and Tennessee, I suppose. That's pretty brutal.

Not as bad as Auburn, who would need Bama but also need Georgia for the recruiting grounds.

In this new SEC, I think I'd want to be Mizzou. They'll probably get Arkansas, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

They're not breaking up Auburn-Georgia as an annual game

Tennessee is probably the toughest one to come up with their 3 permanent opponents because they have longtime, traditional rivalries with Bama, Vandy, and UK but also have good rivalries with UGA and Florida, albeit much shorter in length of the series. I would think they keep Vandy and UK due to proximity and being long-standing rivalries, and then Bama as their 3rd. Plus from a Bama perspective, it's almost certain that Tennesse would be one of their 3.
Vols cannot thrive as a program if they don't beat UGA for Georgia recruits. It's the lifeblood of the program. The Bama rivalry is more about the Tide traditionally needing to recruit TN well.

Vols cannot thrive as a program if they don't beat UGA for Georgia recruits. It's the lifeblood of the program. The Bama rivalry is more about the Tide traditionally needing to recruit TN well.

Even though college football is changing rapidly the SEC isn't going to break up traditional rivalries, and Bama-Tennessee is one of them.

Back