What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

(Bummer the Pac 12 couldn't make it work. Of course pre-season polls are pretty meaningless, but if 5 in the Top 18 was how the season ended, would think that might be one of if not the the conferences best years rankings-wise this millennium.?.)

Preseason polls are dumber than a box of hair.

Preseason polls are dumber than a box of hair.
Here was last year's:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Clemson
5. Notre Dame
6. Michigan
7. Texas A&M
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Baylor
11. Oklahoma State
12. Oregon
13. NC State
14. Michigan State
15. USC
16. Pittsburgh
17. Miami
18. Texas
19. Wake Forest
20. Wisconsin
21. Kentucky
22. Cincinnati
23. Arkansas
24. Ole Miss
25. Houston

Here was last year's:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Clemson
5. Notre Dame
6. Michigan
7. Texas A&M
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Baylor
11. Oklahoma State
12. Oregon
13. NC State
14. Michigan State
15. USC
16. Pittsburgh
17. Miami
18. Texas
19. Wake Forest
20. Wisconsin
21. Kentucky
22. Cincinnati
23. Arkansas
24. Ole Miss
25. Houston
And the year before that, and the year before that.

I'm telling you all... Careful what you wish for by elevating G5 programs in talent hotbed areas.

I'm very much in favor of elevating universities that can compete. I'm also very much in favor of ending the protection of schools which are not set up to compete in this era.

Things change. Population shifts. Universities grow.

UCF has almost 70k students and is in a recruiting hotbed. I don't care that they didn't exist as as university before the mid 60s.

If we want a great game, college sports needs to focus on these types of universities and bet on them. They're the future. Other universities which have a seat at the table because they've been playing since 1900 need to be put out to pasture like Army, Navy and the Ivy League because their time passed and they will never be able to challenge for a championship against schools we call their peers.

On that note, if looking at CA I'd bet on San Diego State over Stanford and Cal. In TX, I'd bet on UTSA over SMU and Rice. I'd bet on UNLV as the flagship of NV, one of our fastest growing states, over having 2 schools at the top level in states the same size or smaller but aren't growing much like MS, KS and IA. And looking at growth rates in small states with major conference programs, Boise State with the way ID is growing has a brighter future than Nebraska and West Virginia. And turning back to FL, USF is larger than any ACC member and also has AAU academic chops - they should be on the Big 12 list ahead of many current P5s.

I'm very much in favor of elevating universities that can compete. I'm also very much in favor of ending the protection of schools which are not set up to compete in this era.

Things change. Population shifts. Universities grow.

UCF has almost 70k students and is in a recruiting hotbed. I don't care that they didn't exist as as university before the mid 60s.

If we want a great game, college sports needs to focus on these types of universities and bet on them. They're the future. Other universities which have a seat at the table because they've been playing since 1900 need to be put out to pasture like Army, Navy and the Ivy League because their time passed and they will never be able to challenge for a championship against schools we call their peers.

On that note, if looking at CA I'd bet on San Diego State over Stanford and Cal. In TX, I'd bet on UTSA over SMU and Rice. I'd bet on UNLV as the flagship of NV, one of our fastest growing states, over having 2 schools at the top level in states the same size or smaller but aren't growing much like MS, KS and IA. And looking at growth rates in small states with major conference programs, Boise State with the way ID is growing has a brighter future than Nebraska and West Virginia. And turning back to FL, USF is larger than any ACC member and also has AAU academic chops - they should be on the Big 12 list ahead of many current P5s.
I can agree to an extent, but most of those programs don't have large followings, don't have many marquee rivalries, and therefore don't add much value to the equation. All it does is add another mouth to feed from a financial standpoint and recruiting standpoint. The elite programs won't be affected, but the mid majors will.

(Bummer the Pac 12 couldn't make it work. Of course pre-season polls are pretty meaningless, but if 5 in the Top 18 was how the season ended, would think that might be one of if not the the conferences best years rankings-wise this millennium.?.)

Firstly, preseason polls infuriate me- they serve as a way to artificially hype teams/conferences for the coming year, when poll ranking actually do impact the sport. For example, Teams A, B, C, and D are ranked from the SEC are ranked to start the season. Team A beats team B and C in close contests, so obviously B and C deserved their lofty ranking. Then team E beats team C, and so they have to be ranked because C was ranked. Team F beats team A, and they have to leapfrog all those other teams because A beat B and C.

They need to wait until ~week 5 or 6 to do the first rankings.

That said, it's especially relevant because of the 25 teams listed, 15 will be playing in either the B1G or SEC in 2024, including the top 7. If FSU and Clemson can successfully get out of their GOR, it will be 17 and the entire top 12.

War Eagle!

Sky Flying GIF by Sam Omo

Firstly, preseason polls infuriate me- they serve as a way to artificially hype teams/conferences for the coming year, when poll ranking actually do impact the sport. For example, Teams A, B, C, and D are ranked from the SEC are ranked to start the season. Team A beats team B and C in close contests, so obviously B and C deserved their lofty ranking. Then team E beats team C, and so they have to be ranked because C was ranked. Team F beats team A, and they have to leapfrog all those other teams because A beat B and C.

They need to wait until ~week 5 or 6 to do the first rankings.

That said, it's especially relevant because of the 25 teams listed, 15 will be playing in either the B1G or SEC in 2024, including the top 7. If FSU and Clemson can successfully get out of their GOR, it will be 17 and the entire top 12.
I agree with everything you just said.

I also believe, unfortunately, even if there were no official preseason polls there would be highly publicized unofficial polls that replace them with the same downsides because people will gravitate towards them whether they are official or not.

I agree with everything you just said.

I also believe, unfortunately, even if there were no official preseason polls there would be highly publicized unofficial polls that replace them with the same downsides because people will gravitate towards them whether they are official or not.

They will exist because they are a marketing tool used by networks.

They will exist because they are a marketing tool used by networks.
And the schools themselves.

Hey Mr. Donor. We were ranked in the top 10 for six weeks this year until the injury bug got us (no mention of getting blown out by teams that were simply better.)

How many times in the last couple decades have we seen Nebraska show up in pre-season polls? We know how that turns out but how many fusker fans get excited each time it happens.

Back