What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

They won’t get a rule break. Oregon and Washington have MUCH more clout than Colorado. We only get in the CCG if we win and U$C loses OR we both win and the conference drops below the per team requirement.

The Ohio State’s power and clout in the B1G is not analagous to Colorado’s power and clout in the P12. The P12 does not care about treating Colorado fairly.
I was being facetious. The Pac 12 doesn't make any decisions without seeing what the BIG does

I was being facetious. The Pac 12 doesn't make any decisions without seeing what the BIG does
Sure. But, I feel like folks here think that the P12 will prioritize Colorado just because it’s “right.” The P12 will not choose to prioritize Colorado over programs like Oregon and UDub without a caveat in the rules. They don’t care.

Sure. But, I feel like folks here think that the P12 will prioritize Colorado just because it’s “right.” The P12 will not choose to prioritize Colorado over programs like Oregon and UDub without a caveat in the rules. They don’t care.
You are missing half the equation here though. The pac might want to boost usc by giving them a ranked opponent in the championship game.

Ohio State opponents combined record is 14-19, but Indiana is the only winning program they've played and it was a close game. They will also beat another ranked team in Northwestern in the CCG.

USC opponents combined record is 2-10, and both ASU and UA were barely wins. UCLA would be a good win for them this weekend and then they would beat an unranked UW/Oregon team in the CCG.

Putting all the preseason hype/rankings and conference perceptions aside, this alone is enough of a disparity, IMO, to give tOSU the nod. Pac 12 needs to field more ranked teams.
And eye test, USC needed a late onside kick and 4th and 15 conversion for a TD to beat arizona state. Basically their only good win this year was on Sunday against WSU. Playing Utah in their first game after covid issues probably isn’t that big of a win to the committee.

Assuming both USC and CU win this weekend, they have a chance to showcase two undefeated teams and likely top 10 vs top 15-17 in a Conference Championship Game. That's bigger for the conference than USC vs unranked UW/Oregon

Assuming both USC and CU win this weekend, they have a chance to showcase two undefeated teams and likely top 10 vs top 15-17 in a Conference Championship Game. That's bigger for the conference than USC vs unranked UW/Oregon
At some point you will need to engage the notion that the Oregon and UDub matter more to the conference than Colorado.

They don’t care about us. I’m not sure why you’d think the P12 will prioritize us over UDub/Oregon when the decision makers are not folks who value football quality.

It’s behind a paywall, but the Athletic has a decent article essentially asking why a potentially 6-0 Ohio State team is viewed as a virtual lock for the playoffs, but a potentially 6-0 USC is seen as a no-hoper. I kinda get why CU gets no love with its perception as an irrelevant program, but it really speaks to the perception of the conference that a blue-blood program like USC can’t even get real consideration.

Because the committee is generally too gutless to actually punish most conferences in down years. Texas is ranked closer to USC than USC is to Ohio State. The Big 12 overall has four ranked teams. Why?

At some point you will need to engage the notion that the Oregon and UDub matter more to the conference than Colorado.

They don’t care about us. I’m not sure why you’d think the P12 will prioritize us over UDub/Oregon when the decision makers are not folks who value football quality.
This happened yesterday with NYC... I'm talking about what I believe the conference *should* do in order to garner more interest in their Conference Championship Game, not what they *will* do. I fully agree the Pac 12 CEO Group is dumb an incompetent to a point that they won't change the rules because UW and Oregon wield more power than Colorado (although DiStefano is the chairman of the CEO group).

This happened yesterday with NYC... I'm talking about what I believe the conference *should* do in order to garner more interest in their Conference Championship Game, not what they *will* do. I fully agree the Pac 12 CEO Group is dumb an incompetent to a point that they won't change the rules because UW and Oregon wield more power than Colorado (although DiStefano is the chairman of the CEO group).
Did you mean to start your parenthetical with "and" instead of "although"?

BIG is of course going to change the rules in the best interest of their conference.

The difference in BIG and Pac 12 is in the third tweet. BIG ADs wield a ton of power and authority over athletic decisions. The Pac 12 has a "CEO Group" that consists of Academics making athletic decisions and ADs don't really have much say.

Ironically I don't actually think that tOSU playing in the conference championship would make that much of a difference to their strength of schedule, if anything it's probably in the Conference championship. It's not like a normal year where they would have the week off. Does anyone really think Northwestern is a vastly superior opponent than Iowa (2nd in the B1G West)? Iowa is 16 in SP+ and Northwestern 31.

I'm just glad the BIG has decided to change the rules on the fly. Should give the Pac 12 the requisite permission needed to do the same thing.
What rule do you exactly want changed? CCG delayed to 26th with CU playing ISC next week?

for the three conferences that I follow, I did some quick analysis on how many games played, as a percent of games scheduled (using the 'reset' schedule, not the original).

my hot take is that the impact of the second virus wave was a detriment to getting games played that over-shadowed any benefit of improved testing capabilities realized by the conferences that started later. Clearly, the ACC's earlier start with planned bye weeks for rescheduling purposes was also a huge advantage for getting games in. w/r/t getting games played, there was no apparent benefit for conferences electing to play conference-only schedules.

if I have time and inclination, I'll do the XII and SEC as well.

1607539921989.png

What rule do you exactly want changed? CCG delayed to 26th with CU playing ISC next week?
Whatever is best for the conference. Pushing the CCG back a week and getting everyone else an extra game could be a solution. Matching up two top 15 teams in the CCG, assuming both CU and USC win this weekend, is another solution. Being flexible and not adhering to rules they made up months ago is what I'm asking for.

Whatever is best for the conference. Pushing the CCG back a week and getting everyone else an extra game could be a solution. Matching up two top 15 teams in the CCG, assuming both CU and USC win this weekend, is another solution. Being flexible and not adhering to rules they made up months ago is what I'm asking for.
Regarding postponing, would you be in favor of Alamo moving on and replacing P12 team with another conference. I don’t see how the scheduling works.

Regarding blowing up divisions, that takes into account history of how the league has worked over the years. If they make the rule this year, it has to be one permanent to me which, in my opinion, lessens CU’s ability to gain CCG in future years. Plus there is the disenfranchisement of UDub and Oregon.

Regarding postponing, would you be in favor of Alamo moving on and replacing P12 team with another conference. I don’t see how the scheduling works.

Regarding blowing up divisions, that takes into account history of how the league has worked over the years. If they make the rule this year, it has to be one permanent to me which, in my opinion, lessens CU’s ability to gain CCG in future years. Plus there is the disenfranchisement of UDub and Oregon.
1. Mandel's solution for the bowl games would be the Alamo Bowl would basically take the winner of UW/Oregon and Indy Bowl would get the loser. This would be predetermined. The winner of USC/CU would go Fiesta Bowl and loser would go Armed Forces Bowl vs SEC. Dates of the bowl games remain the same.

2. I don't think how things have worked in the past should be considered at all for how this season works. Nothing about this season is normal and rules, schedules, number of games played, OOC games, etc have all been fluid, so why can't the CCG be fluid? Notre Dame has wanted nothing to do with the ACC as a conference affiliation... until COVID threatened their CFP hopes. ACC allowed them as a member so they would have two CFP contenders. BIG is changing their rules to allow Ohio State into the CCG, and they are even going to allow Ohio State to have a nice little bye week ahead of playing Northwestern. Does Northwestern get a bye week? Nope. Big 12 went away from divisions a while ago and it's much better setup and allows for the best teams to play for their conference championship. You're the first person to ever use "disenfranchisement" when referring to the University of Washington and University of Oregon.

Not at all. The scheduling ramifications for the teams actually going to bowl games would be terrible.
Perhaps, but any of these bowls might be cancelled today or any time right up until kickoff. I would bet that half the teams that accept a bowl invite never get to actually play (sadly). When you take that into consideration, I would take the conference first approach for this season.

1. Mandel's solution for the bowl games would be the Alamo Bowl would basically take the winner of UW/Oregon and Indy Bowl would get the loser. This would be predetermined. The winner of USC/CU would go Fiesta Bowl and loser would go Armed Forces Bowl vs SEC. Dates of the bowl games remain the same.

2. I don't think how things have worked in the past should be considered at all for how this season works. Nothing about this season is normal and rules, schedules, number of games played, OOC games, etc have all been fluid, so why can't the CCG be fluid? Notre Dame has wanted nothing to do with the ACC as a conference affiliation... until COVID threatened their CFP hopes. ACC allowed them as a member so they would have two CFP contenders. BIG is changing their rules to allow Ohio State into the CCG, and they are even going to allow Ohio State to have a nice little bye week ahead of playing Northwestern. Does Northwestern get a bye week? Nope. Big 12 went away from divisions a while ago and it's much better setup and allows for the best teams to play for their conference championship. You're the first person to ever use "disenfranchisement" when referring to the University of Washington and University of Oregon.
Are you willing to give up divisions going forward to get CU in Championship game this year?

North could very well play hardball in these kinds of discussions.

Why would bowls take pre-determined and potentially less attractive games just to do P12 a favor? If I’m them, I’d move in to a different conference.

And then complain when that team looks like **** on a short week against a mediocre SEC team. Sounds great!
Not ideal IF that bowl game even happens. They'd basically be prioritizing the conference getting another week of games 12/19 and then a "fair" CCG with the North vs South, by sacrificing 2 days of prep for a bowl game.

Are you willing to give up divisions going forward to get CU in Championship game this year?

North could very well play hardball in these kinds of discussions.

Why would bowls take pre-determined and potentially less attractive games just to do P12 a favor? If I’m them, I’d move in to a different conference.
I would have to think harder about the divisional vs non divisional format before I decide on whether that should be permanent, but I do believe it would get the best two teams in the CCG and avoid a situation like CU benefited from in the Klatt Big 12 years. However, I don't see why any changes made this year have to permanant.

North could play hardball, but it works both ways. You think UW and Oregon like seeing a non USC team in the Pac 12 Championship Game when they believe the second best North team is more deserving?

Bowl games have contracts with conferences. Highly doubt Alamo bowl would just be able to dump the Pac 12 without the Pac 12 agreeing.

I would have to think harder about the divisional vs non divisional format before I decide on whether that should be permanent, but I do believe it would get the best two teams in the CCG and avoid a situation like CU benefited from in the Klatt Big 12 years. However, I don't see why any changes made this year have to permanant.

North could play hardball, but it works both ways. You think UW and Oregon like seeing a non USC team in the Pac 12 Championship Game when they believe the second best North team is more deserving?

Bowl games have contracts with conferences. Highly doubt Alamo bowl would just be able to dump the Pac 12 without the Pac 12 agreeing.
It’s not a big deal because in a normal year you get to play everyone in your division so you control your own destiny to a certain extent. I don’t that that is some huge deal going forward, the sec has been dealing with it for years. It’s just a one year thing that would benefit the conference as whole.

Back