What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Joel, who is married to Frances McDormand, who was a lead in Raising Arizona and Fargo, plus many other Coen brothers films.

Animated GIF

This is wild, 16 of the last 17 national champions have come from inside this oval

View attachment 58337
This is wild!*

*That the premier national media source for college football purchased a network for football in that specific region and spent the next decade creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by promoting that network. WILD!

**Oh, and Clemson. I'll give you that one.

This is wild!*

*That the premier national media source for college football purchased a network for football in that specific region and spent the next decade creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by promoting that network. WILD!

It's just a wild stat that I found very interesting and apparently a few others do too. If you want to make up some conspiracy from it then have at it.

**You forgot FSU

It's just a wild stat that I found very interesting and apparently a few others do too. If you want to make up some conspiracy from it then have at it.

**You forgot FSU
I did forget FSU. I acknowledge that the Southeastern United States is a football rich region - not just at the college level, but high school as well.

But if you think ESPN's role in the sustained rise of the SEC is a conspiracy that I made up, I don't know what to tell you. Somehow the SEC didn't consistently sit atop the football world prior to the SEC network, but maybe it is just a coincidence.

...Somehow the SEC didn't consistently sit atop the football world prior to the SEC network, but maybe it is just a coincidence.
I'm not sure this is accurate.

The SEC network first aired in 2014.

SEC schools won the BCS championships every single year from 2006-2012, an SEC school lost the BCS champ game for the 2013 season, and 2014 - the first year of the CFP - an SEC school went into the playoffs ranked #1.

SEC schools won the BCS championships every single year from 2006-2012, an SEC school lost the BCS champ game for the 2013 season, and 2014 - the first year of the CFP - an SEC school went into the playoffs ranked #1.

Yea was just gonna post this, that the SEC Network didn't launch until 2014.

2006-2013 (Pre-SEC Network): SEC won 7 of the 8 titles

2014-2022 (Post-SEC Network): SEC won 6 of 9

My observation is that there has always been a cycle to the conferences. Each took their turn at the top.

When all three Big 10 teams that were ranked in the top 10 all lost in out-of-conference play in the same weekend (2006, maybe?), it was clearly time for another conference to dominate the narrative. And without a doubt, that conference was the SEC. And it was clearly their turn to sit at the top of the football conference world.

But somewhere around 2012, I noticed something curious. SEC teams were ranked higher than teams from other conferences with similar records (even though the SEC was playing one less conference game). And when it came time for bowl games, SEC teams would only sometimes beat teams they were supposed to, and never beat teams they weren't supposed to beat. It was my observation that lower ranked opponents typically outperformed the rankings. It felt that the SEC was being over ranked based on hype. And that presented opportunities for the conference that the conferences didn't enjoy (the Alabama/LSU national championship, for instance).

And of course we see this from individual teams (from any conference) all of the time, so it's not a new thing. But it happened in a new era of communication. And the SEC hype continued and perpetuated the self-fulfilling prophecy. And when it was time in the natural football cycle for another conference to ascend, the SEC dominance became sustained through the SEC network.

Does that make more sense? It was more about what the SEC network artificially perpetuated, than the SED-dominant period that led up to it.

Last edited:
Yea was just gonna post this, that the SEC Network didn't launch until 2014.

2006-2013 (Pre-SEC Network): SEC won 7 of the 8 titles

2014-2022 (Post-SEC Network): SEC won 6 of 9
It's my experience that you've never been willing to engage in this conversation at a nuanced level.

For instance, you used to point to the number of SEC teams in the top 10 to argue your point that the SEC wasn't overrated.

It's my experience that you've never been willing to engage in this conversation at a nuanced level.

For instance, you used to point to the number of SEC teams in the top 10 to argue your point that the SEC wasn't overrated.

Last time I checked the titles from above were won on the field by beating a very good team, or multiple teams as in the case of the playoff.

My observation is that there has always been a cycle to the conferences. Each took their turn at the top.

When all three Big 10 teams that were ranked in the top 10 all lost in out-of-conference play in the same weekend (2006, maybe?), it was clearly time for another conference to dominate the narrative. And without a doubt, that conference was the SEC. And it was clearly their turn to sit at the top of the football conference world.

But somewhere around 2012, I noticed something curious. SEC teams were ranked higher than teams from other conferences with similar records (even though the SEC was playing one less conference game). And when it came time for bowl games, SEC teams would only sometimes beat teams they were supposed to, and never beat teams they weren't supposed to beat. It was my observation that lower ranked opponents typically outperformed the rankings. It felt that the SEC was being over ranked based on hype. And that presented opportunities for the conference that the conferences didn't enjoy (the Alabama/LSU national championship, for instance).

And of course we see this from individual teams (from any conference) all of the time, so it's not a new thing. But it happened in a new era of communication. And the SEC hype continued and perpetuated the self-fulfilling prophecy. And when it was time in the natural football cycle for another conference to ascend, the SEC dominance became sustained through the SEC network.

Does that make more sense? It was more about what the SEC network artificially perpetuated, than the SED-dominant period that led up to it.
No

I read a pretty compelling analysis that the fundamental change has been in childhood nutrition, fitness and participation in youth football.

As the first two increased, and the last decreased in all areas of the country that are not "the south," the number of elite DL from areas that are not "the south" has plummeted.

And if you don't have them on your team, you tend to lose when you play teams that do. Not just because of what they bring to defense, but because your OL gets better practicing against them.

Look at DL draft boards, look at 5 & 4 * prospect lists. There's a serious concentration.

NIL and the transfer portal has created an opportunity to break the monopoly the southern schools have maintained, but it does nothing to even out the natural advantage they have by being "close to the source."

This is wild!*

ACCN/ACCN+

UW's OC, Grubbs, was given two raises after the regular season ended. He first jumped to $1.65mm and then after he interviewed for the TAMU OC position to $2mm per year. Today he is in Tuscaloosa interviewing for the Bama OC spot. It doesn't look like the dude wants to be in Seattle.

Another UW related tidbit. Their 5-star QB recruit, Huard (yes, of that UW Huard family), sat 3rd string last season has transferred to SLO. Yep, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. He is hooking back up with his high school HC that is the new SLO OC. I'm speculating that he is looking to have a big year so he can rebound back to D1 program.

Back