What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

The wrinkle in all of this is the likelihood that all student athletes will likely be deemed employees soon (it’s already started happening with the Dartmouth case). That fundamentally changes everything. Some schools will not be able to afford this, especially at a time when many in higher education are struggling to balance budgets in general.

Hard to predict how that will play out, but one scenario is that football becomes a private league not directly connected to schools, but licensing with schools for the branding. It’s essentially a mini NFL and the players are employees of the league and probably not students at all. I have no idea what happens to other sports or the football programs that don’t connect into this private league. The rest might become glorified versions of club sports. Probably an extreme outcome, but I think it’s in the realm of possibility.

The wrinkle in all of this is the likelihood that all student athletes will likely be deemed employees soon (it’s already started happening with the Dartmouth case). That fundamentally changes everything.
The wrinkle that everyone seems to forget about is that all of this NIL stuff took off when the NCAA lost a court case bigly in front of the supreme court. They also lost the latest case where they tried to restrict the number of times a player (aka "student") could transfer (at the district level, not the USSC level, but they're acting like they know they'll lose on appeal). So, absent federal legislation, any solution will require abiding by A. Court rulings, B Title IX, and C. Federal and state labor laws. There's not very many ways to thread that needle.

Now, declaring the players employees may provide the way out of Title IX (the schools have to offer benefits to students on an equal basis by gender - they don't have to employ equal numbers of men and women), but it gets into labor law messiness, *unless* there's a player's union.

Everyone keeps looking at the media deals as "going towards an nfl-lite direction," when really they should be looking at the legal structures on the players' and coaches' side. Just about the only way to legally limit player transfers, put some non-voluntary limits on recruiting, participation, etc is to make the players employees, and have a player's union to negotiate those sorts of guardrails with. At that point, you could negotiate the recruiting/drafting rules, budgets, salary caps, etc.

Putting some sanity back into the recruiting / transfer process would immensely reduce many (most?) coaches' biggest complaint about coaching college ball.

I'd have to spitball ways to fix recruiting (a single draft for all of college football wouldn't work, but the AFL and NFL had competing drafts for many years - e.g Butkis was drafted by the AFL Denver Broncos and the NFL Chicago Bears - he chose to sign with the bears - I could see a "competing draft" structure working out), another possibility is limiting the number of "offers" a school can have out to players by position, and requiring the offer to have a salary number attached - and then a rolling series of binding commitment dates. The salary caps don't have to be on the entire FBS level, but could be by conference (or by "aligned conferences") - so could any "draft like" rules.

I'm throwing ideas at a wall in the prior paragraph, the point isn't to come up with or defend any one of them, but rather to point out that there are a lot ways to do this, and some might work better than others. The big challenge isn't the NCAA, but working within the laws as interpreted by the courts. Either change the law (good luck with that), or find a model that works.

B10 and SEC are going to widen the funding gap even further with this.
At this moment, what are the other 35 Teams that are not in SEC or B1G doing?
The train is running down the tracks and you are not on it
Amazed there is not more talk about Lawsuits, Congress, or my aggressive idea to have the Schools, Players, and Fans gather together to not allow the other 34 teams to essentially kick you out of big time college football and destroy jobs and historic programs for greed.
Are they hoping the beauty contest moves 5-6 into the club, I am amazed at what is happening right now and not hearing even from Rick George what is going to happen.

q2fpL7D6IAxVJ8m10d-NlAYbcWRK_rGqXlkxRZh9-anFBbWnOiwsr8wEH-DJdKO89Y2hIZjdTM4NoF6Jj5Sij4Sv3UgeBYRZQ2EPOAiWKWtM5KqVw3kkJvFUgWvg8pgeFEsmXfgc8JQz6uZlaG0a1tw

At this moment, what are the other 35 Teams that are not in SEC or B1G doing?
The train is running down the tracks and you are not on it
Amazed there is not more talk about Lawsuits, Congress, or my aggressive idea to have the Schools, Players, and Fans gather together to not allow the other 34 teams to essentially kick you out of big time college football and destroy jobs and historic programs for greed.
Are they hoping the beauty contest moves 5-6 into the club, I am amazed at what is happening right now and not hearing even from Rick George what is going to happen.

q2fpL7D6IAxVJ8m10d-NlAYbcWRK_rGqXlkxRZh9-anFBbWnOiwsr8wEH-DJdKO89Y2hIZjdTM4NoF6Jj5Sij4Sv3UgeBYRZQ2EPOAiWKWtM5KqVw3kkJvFUgWvg8pgeFEsmXfgc8JQz6uZlaG0a1tw

You left ND and Air Force out! Air Force is not P-65, but they win a ton of games and nobody wants to schedule them!! Barring great seasons, I think Ore State and WSU are on the outside looking in. I'm not sure RG can say very much, as the SEC and B1G are not talking, so probably not much to report. I could see it go down like position coaches cutting players... The P-4 powers that be get together--"alright who is in, who is on the bubble, and who should we just cut loose now." Fortunately, CU with Prime is on firm footing. We aren't have a Spring football game rather a weekend extravaganza! None of the TV partners want CU out.

If they do that and cut to like 45-50, my dark horse that says is SMU is in, as they have Dallas and once "had a payroll to meet" and they met it. Too bad, the NCAA thought otherwise.

Last edited:
Back